8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 5, 2016 11:10 AM by Intel Corporation

Nuc5i5ryh - Delay When Connecting 2 Bluetooth Speakers

BloodEmpire

Hello,

Whenever I connect two speakers to my Intel NUC, i have a delay on one of the speakers.

Tried #1 Aux and #2 Bluetooth, #1 Bluetooth and #2 Aux, and both Bluetooth - all of this options ended with a short delay on one of the speakers - could never sinc between them.

Any ideas? maybe connect them both with aux (with an aux splitter) will work?

How to fix this annoying delay? I would like to connect them both with Bluetooth, this is the main reason why I bought this device.

• 1. Re: Nuc5i5ryh - Delay When Connecting 2 Bluetooth Speakers
          N.Scott.Pearson

So you have connected two independent Bluetooth speakers (i.e. not a pair with a shared Bluetooth connection to the PC)? I am not surprised by the result. If they are independent, there is no guarantee that they will be in sync. If one is connected via Bluetooth and one via analog connector, I would expect the Bluetooth to be delayed. If you want them in sync, use them both off the analog connector (use splitter for separate left and right) or purchase a pair of speakers that share the Bluetooth connection...

Sorry I don't have a better answer; this is just the way the technologies work...

...S

• 2. Re: Nuc5i5ryh - Delay When Connecting 2 Bluetooth Speakers
            BloodEmpire

So if them both connected to Bluetooth they should both delay and work and the same time? (one is the speakers, the other is sound bar) or there is no guarantee for that?
            Anyway, so far the answer as i thought - connect them both with aux via splitter.

By the way, does someone know of any program that allows me to change the delay so i'll manually fix that?

• 3. Re: Nuc5i5ryh - Delay When Connecting 2 Bluetooth Speakers
              N.Scott.Pearson

No. Bluetooth can only transmit one thing at a time. The audio streams are thus going to be out of sync because they are transmitted separately (one after the other is one way of thinking about it). Further, the audio data is transmitted digitally and the speaker units themselves are - and very independently - converting the data received from digital to analog and outputting it to the speaker. Bottom line, there's no way to sync them and it's definitely not possible for a tool to introduce a (syncing) delay.

For more information (and confirmation of my statements), take a look at these discussions on Tom's Hardware:

Can multiple Bluetooth speakers be connected to my computer and play at the same time?

Can I connect multiple Bluetooth speakers to a device playing music?

Hope this helps,

...S

• 4. Re: Nuc5i5ryh - Delay When Connecting 2 Bluetooth Speakers
                BloodEmpire

Ok, I understand.
                Thank you very much for your kind help !

• 5. Re: Nuc5i5ryh - Delay When Connecting 2 Bluetooth Speakers
                  BloodEmpire

Just one more question regarding bluetooth, just to be sure.
                  You said that bluetooth is able to transmit only one thing at a time.

Does it include everything, or just of same type?

For example, am I able to connect bluetooth speakers AND bluetooth keyboard? Or i must have some kind of receiver for that keyboard? 

• 6. Re: Nuc5i5ryh - Delay When Connecting 2 Bluetooth Speakers
                    N.Scott.Pearson

I am struggling to provide an encompassing answer in an uncomplicated way - and failing; I have written two totally different responses and then discarded them both as too complex. I am just going to answer your questions, one at a time, as basically as possible. This will generate more questions, but so be it...

>> You said that Bluetooth is able to transmit only one thing at a time.

Yes, but this needs a little more explanation. On a single frequency channel, only one entity (Bluetooth or WiFi) can be transmitting at any one point in time. The good news is that the 2.4 GHz frequency band that Bluetooth and WiFi share has multiple channels, each using slightly different frequencies, and thus, while Device A is transmitting to Device B using one channel, Device C can be transmitting to Device D on another channel (and so on across all of the channels available). Now, this doesn't help Device A if he needs to transmit to both Device B and Device C. He cannot do these two things simultaneously (his transmitter can only use ("be tuned to") one channel); he has to transmit first to one and then to the other.

>> Does it include everything, or just of same type?

My last statement (sort of) answered this. Yes, it includes everything. If your NUC needs to send digital audio data to a speaker and receive a keystroke notification from a keyboard, these cannot happen at the same time; they have to happen serially (i.e. transmit data to speaker, then receive keystroke notification, then...). To you, these operations happen so fast that they appear to be happening simultaneously, but they are actually occurring one after the other.

>> Am I able to connect Bluetooth speakers AND Bluetooth keyboard? Or I must have some kind of receiver for that keyboard?

Again, my last statement (sort of) answered this. Yes, you can connect multiple devices simultaneously. I believe that up to 8 devices can be connected simultaneously. Under normal circumstances, no, you don't need separate receivers. If the amount of data that needs to be transmitted amongst this set of devices is too high, however, there could be lag issues and the use of multiple receivers might help.

Ok, I included some hints here and there that need to be tied together. As I said, Bluetooth and WiFi share the 2.4 GHz frequency band. There are multiple channels within this band, but the number is finite -- and you are sharing them with your neighbors! Worse, many cordless phones (yours and your neighbors) also use the 2.4 GHz frequency band. It is thus possible that your Bluetooth device communication can conflict (contend) with your WiFi communication (and your cordless phones). The result is lag on both sides. Much worse, USB 3.0 uses this frequency range as well and, if you use poor quality USB 3.0 cables, they act like an antenna and can interfere with your Bluetooth and WiFi as well. The solution to all of this is dual-band networking. There is a separate - and much larger - frequency band around 5.0 GHz that can be used by dual-band-capable network adapters (and wireless routers and access points, all of which have separate transmitters for the two frequency bands). If you set up your home network to use the 5.0 GHz band, this will leave the 2.4 GHz band more available to support Bluetooth operations.

That's enough for now; I have likely provided too much information and probably just confused you more (but I hope not)...

...S

• 7. Re: Nuc5i5ryh - Delay When Connecting 2 Bluetooth Speakers
                      BloodEmpire

First of all,

I thank you very much for your kind help !
                      I will look into that, your answer made me want to understand it, so i will learn it through so i'll understand it better.

Thanks again !

• 8. Re: Nuc5i5ryh - Delay When Connecting 2 Bluetooth Speakers
                        Intel Corporation
                        This message was posted by Intel Corporation on behalf of

Hello:

Thank you very much to N. Scott Pearson for the detailed explanation about how the Bluetooth connection works, that information will be helpful for all the peers viewing this thread.

To BloodEmpire:

We hope the information posted previously was useful for you, in order to understand how the Bluetooth connection works.

Any other inquiry, do not hesitate in contact us again.

Regards

Alberto