Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14500 Discussions

boxed cpu fan / cooler type nidec faulty / not spinning up as intended

HAßma
Beginner

bought an intel i3 6320 boxed cpu two days ago. the cooler / fan that comes with the box seems to be flawed though.

cpu: i3 6320 boxed

board: asrock h170 fatality performance

see related post:

when hitting the power button, you can see the fan tries to spin up, but seems to lack electric power and is just humming a little bit, before starting to fully spin up only after a few seconds. the whole fan does not start to turn for several seconds while the pc is already booting. the behaviour seems unusual and indicates some kind of failure and i fear there may be some kind of damage coming from that over time, especially when the pc is rebooted after cpu intensive tasks, where the cpu does get very hot as it will probably hit thermal throttling many times. bios workarounds do not resolve the issue.

the issue has been confirmed to me from the creator of the above thread.

is it possible to request a new boxed cpu cooler / fan? thatd be awesome!

thank you.

best regards

0 Kudos
8 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

In my opinion, this sounds more like a motherboard issue. 4-Wire PWM fans are required, by spec., to be provided with 12 Volts at all times. That is, no scaling of the voltage is allowed (as would be done to control the speed of a 3-wire fan). In this case, it sounds suspiciously like the voltage is being scaled (the combination of PWM-based scaling with voltage scaling often results in seeing the fan not starting until higher (~50%) duty cycles are selected). To verify one way or the other, I suggest that you use a volt meter and measure the voltage that the fan is receiving (via pin 2 of the connector). If you find that the voltage is anything below 11.4 Volts, then the motherboard is at fault.

...S

P.S. If this proves to be the case, I would check to see if the BIOS has parameters that specify whether or not a 4-wire PWM fan is installed (or whether or not voltage scaling is to be performed).

AKian
Novice

This behaviour is completely normal on my desktop with an Asrock H110-STX motherboard and an Intel stock cooler. I observe that the fan in my desktop goes through the same sequence of movement as yours upon turning on my computer. A search on google revealed that the fan spinning up is delayed by a few seconds to allow the other components on the motherboard to receive sufficient current before the fan starts to draw current. Your CPU is cool running by design. With just the two cores alone running at full load, the TDP is a mere 26 watts (51 watts is when the integrated GPU is also at full load). The stock cooler has enough heat capacity to absorb several seconds' worth of heat without causing the CPU to overheat.

HAßma
Beginner

i agree with your observations and assumptions, but, as stated in the other thread, this only happens with nidec type fans apparently. so, it should not be due to faulty motherboard current or due to other components receiving current before the fan. that is also, because the issue is widespread and known for quite some time, and was adressed via bios workarounds, which sadly dont solve it. it should just come down to the design of the fan. the nidec fan is believed to be a high quality product, but it appears that it just needs a lot of juice to get started compared to others (e.g. foxconn), which may also have mechanical and not only electrical reasons. of course thermal load on this cpu is very low, which can reduce risk of damage, but the nidec dont only come with the i3 but with probably all boxed intel cpus. as ive stated before it may well happen that the cpu hits thermal throttling on rebooting after heavy loads and therefore i believe cpu damage cant be ruled out with the behaviour of the nidec fans in the long run.

would be good to see some clarification or confirmation from intel on this issue.

0 Kudos
AKian
Novice

I made some observations on the starting and stopping of the fan.

Cold boot: Fan starts briefly, stops, twitches for a split second and stopping, and after 3 seconds goes to full blast for 5 seconds before gradually settling down at its regular low speed

Restart from Windows (warm reboot): Fan does NOT stop and continues at its regular low speed with no change in speed

Restart from UEFI BIOS: Exactly the same as a cold boot even if the system was in use earlier

The fan on my stock cooler is a NIDEC 12V 0.28A.

Idle temp reported

Immediately upon entering UEFI BIOS: 58°C (BIOS temps will be higher because the BIOS is not power aware and does not perform speed step or issue idle command)

Immediately upon booting into Windows 10: 42°C

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Thanks You Alvin, you are confirming that there is no apparent systemic issue with the Nidec fans (actually, Intel already said that in that other conversation but this is being ignored by H.A. for some reason) . Again, what we need is for H.A. to do is put a volt meter on his fan. Only then will we be able to tell if the fan has anything to do with it...the proof is in the pudding...

0 Kudos
HAßma
Beginner

Moderator note: This post edited for content.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

This community is supported by users, and Intel support staff. It does not have 24x7 support by the Intel support staff.

Here, you can "Find and share solutions with Intel users across the world". You can benefit from the vast knowledge base and experience of the user community, as well as Intel support staff .

When you use this site, you agree to the http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/legal/terms-of-use.html Intel Terms of Use , specifically:

Moderation or Pre-Screening: You acknowledge that Intel may or may not moderate or pre-screen User Content. Intel and its designees retain the right, at Intel's sole discretion to pre-screen, refuse, or remove any User Content from its Web Site or Materials. Intel, however, will have no liability related to the content of any such User Content, whether or not arising under the laws of copyright, libel, privacy, obscenity, or otherwise. Without limiting the foregoing, Intel shall have the right to remove any User Content that violates these Terms of Use.

Doc

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

apples2016a,

I apologize for any inconvenience, if you would like to replace the fan just contact our phone or chat support in order to check the replacement options for your unit. See here for the contact information http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html

Please refer to post # 1 in this thread https://communities.intel.com/thread/103077 https://communities.intel.com/thread/103077 for further reference.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos