Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Intel 8260 Code 10 - Cannot Connect - Please Help

idata
Employee

Hi all. I built a PC using a an Intel 6600K i5 and Asus Z-170A mobo. The wireless network adapter I used is a Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I bluetooth/wifi adapter. The build has worked fine for a while until today when my wifi cut out. There was no warning or change, it just ceased to function. A review of device manager shows a Code 10 the device cannot start error.

I have tried uninstalling drivers and reinstalling but this does not function. Please note that I cannot connect to the internet currently, so suggestions to check windows update are unhelpful.

Thanks for any advice.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello luke,

The error code 10 in device manager is often related to driver/configuration issues, and in some cases due to hardware.

The main recommendation to try is a clean installation of the driver and related software, please follow these steps:

1. Download the generic driver version from Intel® Download Center:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/86068/Intel-Dual-Band-Wireless-AC-8260 Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers [19.10.0]

2. Go to Control Panel, Programs and Features and Uninstall "Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software", if it is installed. When prompted, choose the option to "Discard settings".

3. In Control Panel, Device Manager, Network Adapters, right click on the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260 and Uninstall it. Make sure you mark the option to "Delete the driver software for this device".

4. Reboot the PC or scan for hardware changes, check device manager and if an older wireless driver is detected and installed, repeat the actions to uninstall and delete it as well. Repeat this process until the OS does not allow deleting the driver, or until the controller shows as Unknown Device. Then proceed to the next step.

5. Remove temporary files: Press the Windows Key + R to open the run box. Type Cleanmgr.exe. Press OK. Select the main drive, usually C:\. Check Temporary Files and uncheck everything else. Press OK.

6. To delete hidden folders, go to the location %User%\AppData\Roaming\. Delete the Intel folder.

7. Install the Intel Wireless driver. During the first steps of PROSet/Wireless installation, make sure to customize the installation and install all driver components.

If the issue persists, provide the following information:

- Download https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility Intel® System Support Utility, run the tool and use it to create and save a report with all sections, then add your reply to this thread and use the Advanced editor options to attach the resulting file to your post.

- Let us know if there have been any recent changes to the system (configuration, Windows updates, BIOS, applications installed, hardware changes, etc.)

Regards,

Jonathan
idata
Employee

Ok, so that may have solved an issue but presented another. Followed all instructions, installed new driver but my wireless card is not detected. Just to be sure, I checked the physical connection and reseated the card. No wireless card and drivers installed.

I used the Intel SSU software and am attaching the report here.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello luke,

The log confirms that the Wireless adapter is not detected, this may have been the reason for the Code 10 you were getting previously.

If the card is not recognized properly, the driver won't install. In this case, please consider the following recommendations:

- Contact http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/support-downloads.aspx Gigabyte Support and obtain their latest drivers for your adapter. You may also check with them for additional recommendations and support. Take into consideration that this is a device designed and manufactured by Gigabyte, even though it is based on the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260 controller.

- You can also update the BIOS of your motherboard, this often helps with detection of PCIe devices.

- Try a different PCIe slot of your motherboard and check if the card is detected.

- After this, try to install the Gigabyte driver again, or you may use the generic version of https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26240/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Windows-10?product=86068 Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers for Windows® 10 [19.10].

Regards,

Jonathan.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Ok, I tried to initiate it via BIOS but no luck. I am reaching out to Gigabyte now and I appreciate your attempts to help. I tried to install the driver again but to no avail.

Thanks

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

You might want to look at the http://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/Z170-A/HelpDesk_Download/ Asus Z170-A Support Page, and check with Asus about BIOS updates.

Feel free to let us know any updates after checking with Asus and Gigabyte, or in case you require further assistance.
0 Kudos