4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 13, 2016 11:05 AM by Intel Corporation

How to debug HD Graphics BSOD

Thibault

Hey hey community,

I have this old (bug gold!) problem where when I try to install the intel HD Graphics 3000 on Windows 7 64 bits, the laptop reboots to only a BSOD at the logon "Welcome" message

I've tried many combinaisons, many drivers, i don't know what to try now.

I'm pretty sure it's a driver related problem, as if I boot without Intel driver (or in safe mode), it boots perfectly.

There's no conflics with other softwares / drivers installed : after the fresh install of W7, I (try to) install Intel first.

The laptop is an Aspire V3-571G with an Intel Core i3-2348M (and the BIOS is v2.13). It was originally sold with Windows 8, then upgraded to 8.1, then 10. Now, it's owner wants to go back to W7.

I've tried the driver found on Acer's website, BSOD with every 64 bits version (7, 8, 8.1), and the last and last-1 driver from Intel's downloadcenter, BSOD again. Also tried (with all versions) to install wtih/without AERO support, same here.

Can you please give me any advice/hint on how to debug this BSOD problem

Thank you !

• 1. Re: How to debug HD Graphics BSOD
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello Thibault,

Try installing the driver manually, please see How to Manually Install a Graphics Driver in Windows 7*.
          Download the Intel® HD Graphics Driver for Windows* 7/8-64-bit

If there is any graphics driver already installed, uninstall that driver and then reinstall it manually, following the steps from the link above.
          Please see Uninstalling the Intel® Graphics Driver and Intel® Display HDMI/Audio Driver

Also, make sure you have Windows® up to date.

If the problem persists, please bear in mind that this driver has been released for a long time and we have tested this driver plenty of times and we don’t experience this issue, I would recommend to report the issue to your system manufacturer for further assistance as they are more familiar with your system and how the components interact with each other.

Regards,

Ivan

• 2. Re: How to debug HD Graphics BSOD
            Intel Corporation

Hello,

I was reviewing this thread and I would like to know if you were able to resolve your problem or if you need further assistance.

Ivan.

• 3. Re: How to debug HD Graphics BSOD
              Thibault

Hello Ivan,

It turns out i've kind of figured out where the problem came from

The laptop was sold with a single 4GB RAM, and the owner updated it to 2x4GB

Before my first post, I've memtest'ed the 8GB, no problems were shown.

Then I've tried booting W7 + Intel driver with the original 4GB, it worked.

Then switched with only the other 4GB, BSOD

The second 4GB added is exactly the same brand/model/specs as the originaly installed

To be sure, i've started a memtest with that crashy RAM. After 16h and 18 passes, no problems were shown. (memtest+ 4.20)

Weirdest thing is as far as i dont install Intel HD Graphics driver, i can install whatever driver / software I want with no crash/BSOD

So okay... i guess...

Anyway thank you for your time

• 4. Re: How to debug HD Graphics BSOD
                Intel Corporation

Hello Thibault,

Thank you for the information you have shared with us, I would say, that can be a limited configuration from your system manufacturer, have you tried to contact them to check with them what could it be.

Maybe you need a BIOS update.

Please be aware that if you plan to install two SO-DIMM memory modules in your unit, I would recommend you to purchase them as a matched pair.

When memory modules are purchased separately, the DRAM chips and SPD timing on the memory can be different, even if the model and part numbers are the same. These differences can cause issues in your system. That will be better to consult it with your laptop manufacturer.

Best regards,

Ivan