Intel vPro® Platform
Intel Manageability Forum for Intel® EMA, AMT, SCS & Manageability Commander
2834 Discussions

Remote Provisioning via Wi-Fi question

GMadi1
Beginner

Is it possible to remote provision an Intel vPro AMT equipped notebook via Wi-Fi? That is... If the Wired NIC is unplugged, is it possible to remote provision the system via the Wi-Fi adapter?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Dariusz_W_Intel
Employee

For AMT 2.6 -6.1 version platforms - it is NOT possible to provision AMT over WiFi from unprovisioned state to provisioned state.

AMT 6.2 (Dell, Lenovo and Intel vPro Motherboards) and all vendor AMT 7.x or newer - support Host Based Configuration that happens from Host OS level so it will work over WiFi (over any network also over 3G/4G/VPN) .

But it will provision AMT to Client Control mode with Consent Code required for all redirection operations.

AMT 10 and newer added support for Host Based Configuration (as above over WiFi ) to Client Control Mode and then switching to Admin Control Mode over WiFi BUT - WiFi have to be trusted by AMT FW = WiFi Network connection specyfic DNS suffix (DHCP Option 15) has to be preconfigured in ME FW first. This can be done by pre-configuring ME FW manually via MEBx, using USB one touch preconfiguration (done by MEBx as well) - what requires physical access and manual touch of each system. OEM may preconfigure DNS PKI suffix in ME FW in their factory during manufacturing so it is possible prior to shipping the system.

AMT 6.2 (Dell, Lenovo and Intel vPro Motherboards) and all vendor AMT 7.x or newer allow also using USB one touch preconfiguration (done by MEBx as well) - what requires physical access and manual touch of each system to Admin Control mode then followed by Host Based Configuration over Wifi to add AMT settings not accessible via USB/MEBx while keeping Admin Control mode.

rgds

Dariusz Wittek

Intel EMEA Biz Client Solution Architect
0 Kudos
GMadi1
Beginner

Thank you. What if there is no wired NIC? There are more and more Dell Notebook Models that are being shipped with no onboard NICs.

0 Kudos
Dariusz_W_Intel
Employee

Current state of Intel AMT technology - supports configuration methods as described above. Many customers are happy with Host Based Configuration even of there is AMT Wired LAN port -for this method simplicity.

Some other OEMs (ex. Lenovo) provide passive dongle that converts non standard multi interface slim port (OneDock Plus in case of Lenovo X1 Yoga) to standard RJ45 socket. So AMT wired LAN that is build on board is accessible for its use with this special dongle.

What are you trying to achieve actually?

rgds

darek

0 Kudos
GMadi1
Beginner

I am attempting to remote provision a Dell Mobile Precision 5510 notebook. This model does not have an onboard NIC. It only has an Intel Wi-Fi adapter. The ACUConfig utility errors out saying that there is no onboard LAN adapter.

0 Kudos