Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14403 Discussions

Intel Core i7 6700k can't update driver, says I don't have the minimun requirements to install.

RRodr20
Beginner

Actually it says it in spanish, but basically that, I tried using the intel driver update utility and failed, tried manually using the .exe and .zip and failed. I would like to know what to do.

The intel driver update utility says that there are no drivers for my product, it doesn't even recognize it.

However, the Intel processor identification utility shows this:

Intel(R) Processor Identification Utility

Version: 5.50.20160527

Time Stamp: 2016/09/28 16:40:57

Operating System: 6.2-9200-

Number of processors in system: 1

Current processor: # 1

Active cores per processor: 4

Disabled cores per processor: 0

Processor Name: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz

Type: 0

Family: 6

Model: 5E

Stepping: 3

Revision: 39

Maximum CPUID Level: 16

L1 Instruction Cache: 4 x 32 KB

L1 Data Cache: 4 x 32 KB

L2 Cache: 4 x 256 KB

L3 Cache: 8 MB

Packaging: LGA1151

Enhanced Intel SpeedStep(R) Technology: Yes

MMX(TM): Yes

Intel(R) SSE: Yes

Intel(R) SSE2: Yes

Intel(R) SSE3: Yes

Intel(R) SSE4: Yes

Intel(R) AES-NI: Yes

Intel(R) AVX: Yes

Enhanced Halt State: Yes

Execute Disable Bit: Yes

Intel(R) Hyper-Threading Technology: Yes

Intel(R) 64 Architecture: Yes

Intel(R) Virtualization Technology: Yes

Intel(R) VT-x with Extended Page Tables: Yes

System Graphics: Add-in Graphics

Base TDP: 95 W

Expected Processor Frequency: 4.0 GHz

Reported Processor Frequency: 4.0 GHz

Expected System Bus Frequency: 100 MHz

Reported System Bus Frequency: 100 MHz

I would like some help, thanks a lot.

0 Kudos
14 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

What driver/version did you attempt to install? What version of Windows are you running?

0 Kudos
RRodr20
Beginner

Hello Scott, I am running on Windows 10 pro 64bits, and for some reason, the driver's doesn't show up on Drivers & Software page, but the .zip says 154028.4501.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Yea, on top of everything else, the Download Center servers are not working. As far as I can tell, build 4501 is the latest, but I (and others) have (also) seen issues attempting to install from it (in my case, installer hangs). My suggestion is to use the previous release (4464) until they fix the issues with 4501. Unfortunately, if you don't already have this version, I cannot post it here (it's over 200MB)...

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
RRodr20
Beginner

Many thanks, I will attempt to do it when they are back.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello:

Thank you very much to N.Scott.Pearson for the information provided on this thread.

To rodrigompu96:

Besides the instructions provided above, you can also try to install the driver manually, on the following link you will find the instructions of how to do that:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005629.html http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005629.html

Driver 4501:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26228/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-and-Windows-7-8-1-15-40-?product=88345 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26228/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-and-Windows-7-8-1-15-40-?product=88345

Any questions, please let me know.

Alberto

0 Kudos
RRodr20
Beginner

Hello Alberto, if you speak spanish, please let me know.

When I attempt to install the drivers through device manager, in processors, there are 8 Intel, that's ok, but when I click for update and select the folder where the drivers are, it says it is already updated. I don't really know why. In the properties shows it has the version 10.0.14393.0, not the 15.40 I am trying to install but it keeps saying it is updated. I need help. Please.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello rodrigompu96:

Did you try to install the driver 4501 manually?

If you did that and the problem remains, then we will need to try the drivers from the manufacturer.

What is the model of the motherboard?

Once we get that information we can look for the graphics driver provided by the manufacturer of the board.

Alberto

0 Kudos
RRodr20
Beginner

Yes, I tried doing it manually.

Well, I bought my processor from here, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B012M8LXQW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s01?ie=UTF8&th=1 Amazon.com: Intel Core i7 6700K 4.00 GHz Unlocked Quad Core Skylake Desktop Processor, Socket LGA 1151 [BX80662I76700K]:…

Plus, the motherboard is an Asus Z170-E.

The problem started when I upgraded from Windows 8 to 10, I did 1 upgrade, and after trying to install the processor's driver and failed, I did a clean install. Windows 10 pro is updated.

0 Kudos
CCris2
New Contributor II

Hi rodrigompu96 ,

What you mean by processor driver ? Graphic driver ?

You should disable windows 10 driver auto install . Go in control panel, choose to view by small icons, then look for system icon and click on it. Then in the window that shows up on the left side click on Advanced system settings. A new window appears and go to Hardware tab. Click on the Device Installation Settings. Select "Never Install driver ..." and uncheck "Automatically get the device app ...". And you're done.

To install the graphic driver first you need to download the new driver, uninstall the graphic driver currently installed and install the new one.

0 Kudos
RRodr20
Beginner

Hello Ronin,

I don't really have much knowledge about that, I can't update the Intel Core i7 processor, the system doesn't let me as much as I try, even trying what you mentioned Ronin.

My Graphic card is a Gtx 1080 and it is updated.

0 Kudos
CCris2
New Contributor II

Well, I don't know what driver you can't update then.

Windows 10 has driver for CPU installed by default.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello rodrigompu96:

If you are talking about the graphics driver, If you are using a video card, then the graphics of the processor by default get disable, and in this case in order to get the proper graphics driver, you need to install the one that belongs to the graphics card, you can look for it on the following link by entering the model of the card:

http://www.nvidia.com/download/index.aspx http://www.nvidia.com/download/index.aspx

Not sure if that is the driver you are looking for.

Alberto

0 Kudos
RRodr20
Beginner

I remember that I had a processor driver installed before upgrading to w10, I will go to the technician tomorrow for that and some other problems, thank you all for helping me.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello rodrigompu96:

Perfect, no problem, we hope the technician will be able to assist you in fixing this problem.

Any other inquiry, do not hesitate in contact us again.

Regards

Alberto

0 Kudos