14 Replies Latest reply on Nov 2, 2016 6:58 AM by Intel Corporation

NUC6i5SYH HD Graphics Output 23.979 fps

raymondjpg

My NUC6i5SYH running Windows 7 Professional x64 with latest bios update 0052 and latest HD Graphics driver 15.40.28.4501 is outputting 23.976 fps graphics at 23.979 according to madVR.

Anandtech has reported that  "the NUC6i5SYK has the most accurate display refresh rates of all the PCs that we have evaluated so far". However they were using Windows 10 Professional x64 in their test NUC.

Has Intel confirmed the 23.979 output as an issue with Windows 7 drivers for HD Graphics drivers for the NUC6i5SYH/K? If so what are they intending to do to fix it so the NUC6i5SYH/K outputs 23.976 graphics with the same level of accuracy as with Windows 10 drivers?

• 1. Re: NUC6i5SYH HD Graphics Output 23.979 fps
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted by Intel Corporation on behalf of

I would like to replicate this matter but I would need additional information about your system configuration and step by step information that will help me on this request. 

Please fill out the following form as complete as possible.

https://communities.intel.com/thread/77761

Allan. 

• 2. Re: NUC6i5SYH HD Graphics Output 23.979 fps
            raymondjpg

C

Category

Questions

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue

23.976 fps graphics are output at 23.979 according to madVR (see attachment in next post)

Please place an X to the right of the option showing how often you see this issue using specific steps. (Ex: 'Every few times a game is started it flickers.' <- This would be "Often")

Always (100%): X

Often (51-99%):

Sporadic (20-50%):

Very Sporadic (<20%):

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system.

NUC6i5SYH

Hybrid or switchable graphics system?
            ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?

Intel HD Graphics Iris 540

Make and model of any Displays that are used to see the issue (see note2 below).
            LFP
            = Local Flat Panel (Laptop panel)
            EFP = External Flat Panel (Monitor you plug in)

EFP

Samsung UA48HU8500 UHD TV

How much memory [RAM] in the system (see note2 below).

8GB

Provide any other hardware needed to replicate the issue.
            ie: Cables&brand, cable type [vga, hdmi, DP, etc], dock, dongles/adapters, etc

Kordz EVX series HDMI cables

Hardware Stepping (see note1 below).

Stepping 3

Software (SW)

Operating System version (see note2 below).

Windows 7 Professional x64

VBIOS (video BIOS) version. This can be found in “information page” of CUI (right click on Desktop and select “Graphics Properties”.

Graphics Driver version; for both integrated Intel and 3rd party vendors (see note2 below).

SW or Apps version used to replicate the issue.

madVR v0.90.24

Configurations

Single display, clone, or extended (see note2 below).

Single display

Display resolution & refresh rate setting of each display (see note2 below).

1920x1080p

23, 24, 25, 29, 30, 50, 60 Hz

AC or DC mode, i.e. is power cable plugged in or not?

AC

How to repro

Please provide steps to replicate the issue.  These steps are very crucial to finding the root cause and fix.
            A screenshot to illustrate the issue is a huge plus. A video of the failure is even better! Attach to the post or provide the YouTube link.

1. Issue is consistent 100%
            2. Screenshots to follow
            3. Video Player MPC-HC v1.7.9
            4. Video Renderer madVR v0.90.24
            5. Display Rate switching enabled

• 3. Re: NUC6i5SYH HD Graphics Output 23.979 fps
              raymondjpg

Attached screenshots of madVR OSD stats and Intel HD Graphics driver version as requested.

• 4. Re: NUC6i5SYH HD Graphics Output 23.979 fps
                Intel Corporation

Thanks for the information. 
                I have checked the picture  and I noticed about Display 23.979Hz, this is the actual monitor refresh rate and movie 23.976 FPS. Both are different. 
                Can you please let me know what is exactly the problem? Is it the FPS or the Hz? 

Allan. 

• 5. Re: NUC6i5SYH HD Graphics Output 23.979 fps
                  raymondjpg

Thank you for looking.

The monitor refresh rate should be 23.976Hz to match the movie 23.976 FPS.

If you look at the attached jpeg of the screenshot posted in the Anandtech article I referred to in my original post, you will see that the monitor refresh rate is 23.97602Hz from a movie 23.976 fps. That is what prompted them to report that  "the NUC6i5SYK has the most accurate display refresh rates of all the PCs that we have evaluated so far".

They were using Windows 10 Professional x64 in their test NUC. I am aiming to achieve the same level of accuracy with my NUC6i5SYH running Windows 7 Professional x64.

Regards

• 6. Re: NUC6i5SYH HD Graphics Output 23.979 fps
                    Intel Corporation

How did you get that report? Please provide details about the report, I am not familiar with MadVR codec.

Allan. 

• 7. Re: NUC6i5SYH HD Graphics Output 23.979 fps
                      raymondjpg

If you are using madVR as your video renderer there is a standard hotkey Ctrl+J that toggles the On Screen Display while movie is playing. (This can be changed in madVR options under user interface|keyboard shortcuts.)

To install madVR expand the zip file anywhere on your pc and run install.bat.

madVR can be set as your video renderer in MPC-HC View|Options|Output|DirectShow Video dropdown.

To open madVR in order to set options right click on playing video in MPC-HC and select madVR from the Filters list. On the first madVR screen that opens you can select an option to Show Tray Icon.

In order to test the display refresh rate for 23.976 fps movies set madVR display mode options under devices|display modes (expand your output device to see this option). Switch to matching display mode should be checked and an appropriate display mode e.g. 1080p23 needs to be listed under "list all display modes madVR may switch to".

• 8. Re: NUC6i5SYH HD Graphics Output 23.979 fps
                        Intel Corporation

Thank you for the information, I finally got this report on the screen. I set madVR to display 1080p23, this will force the video to get 23.976FPS. 

See picture attached. 

Allan. 

• 9. Re: NUC6i5SYH HD Graphics Output 23.979 fps
                          raymondjpg

Thank you for doing the test. Your madVR stats are definitely an improvement on mine, but still not quite achieving the 23.976 Hz refresh rate.

I suspect that the Windows 7 drivers for the NUC6i5SYH/K are the cause of these variations from 23.976. Could I ask you to confirm that your test was conducted on a NUC6i5SYH/K with Windows 7 as the operating system, also which version of the drivers was used?

I still can only get a 23.9789 Hz refresh rate at best with the latest Windows 7 drivers on my NUC6i5SYH/K and with madVR default settings. Different windows modes in madVR make no difference, also whether or not Windows 7 aero mode is enabled. Just to say again I can get 23.976 Hz refresh rates on the same TV monitor from PCs running Windows 7 with Intel HD Graphics 4600 and 5000 (Haswell).

• 10. Re: NUC6i5SYH HD Graphics Output 23.979 fps
                            Intel Corporation

Yes, I tried same Intel® NUC model but I had tried different operating system version. I will install Windows® 7 and will update my findings. 

Allan. 

• 11. Re: NUC6i5SYH HD Graphics Output 23.979 fps
                              raymondjpg

Thank you for trying with Windows 7 installed. It will be useful to compare your results with mine.

Which "different operating system" did you use for your first test?

• 12. Re: NUC6i5SYH HD Graphics Output 23.979 fps
                                Intel Corporation

That was Windows® 10 with the latest patch. Were you able to test this issue under Windows® 10 fully patched?

Allan.

• 13. Re: NUC6i5SYH HD Graphics Output 23.979 fps
                                  raymondjpg

No I didn't test the issue with Windows 10 fully patched, as you had already done that.

The issue remains. Somehow Anandtech was able to achieve a perfect 23.976 refresh rate using Windows 10 Professional x64 in their test NUC.

Both my experience with Windows 7 x64 and yours with Windows 10 fully patched were an inability to achieve that perfect 23.976 refresh rate.

Why, I don't know. I can only speculate that it is due to:

1. The Intel HD Graphics drivers for both Windows 7 x64 and Windows 10 x64 may have been able to achieve a perfect 23.976 refresh rate when Anandtech tested the NUC earlier this year, and have since been unable to.

2. There is significant variation in the ability of the NUC6i5SYK off the production line to achieve that perfect 23.976 refresh rate.

I consider option 1 is more likely, and ask if you could please request that Intel software engineers have a close look at the ability of the current drivers for the NUC6i5SYK to achieve that perfect 23.976 refresh rate, and if possible deliver drivers that do achieve that perfect 23.976 refresh rate for all platforms.

Regards

• 14. Re: NUC6i5SYH HD Graphics Output 23.979 fps
                                    Intel Corporation

Thank you for your feedback. I will forward this information to the appropriate team.

Thanks

Allan.