6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 29, 2011 9:14 PM by anomaly256

DQ45CB – BIOS 0115 - Lost internal + external video configuration support

dmka

I have DQ45CB board with additional PCIe GeForce 200 video and 3-monitors - Dvi and Vga connected to GeForce 200 card and another Vga connected to built-in Intel Graphics Adapter. The Intel graphics is set as primary in BIOS (otherwise Intel card is automatically disabled and only GeForce is visible in Windows).

All 3 monitors worked good in Windows 7 with BIOS 0109. After upgrading BIOS to v 0115 (VBIOS 1940) the computer does not boot with GeForce card installed.  According to BIOS release notes exactly the same issue is "fixed"

Downgrading to v. 0109 resolved the problem.

I hope Intel guys will recover this feature in the next release...

• 1. Re: DQ45CB – BIOS 0115 - Lost internal + external video configuration support
          DesktopMan

This might seem obvious but... Did you remove the bios reset jumper after updating? I had issues booting before I did that when upgrading to 0115.

• 2. Re: DQ45CB – BIOS 0115 - Lost internal + external video configuration support
            dmka

Sure - I removed the jumper, flashed 0115 using emergency recovery procedure (to recover previously lost AMT BIOS), placed jumper back and loaded BIOS defaults. The computer does not start (actually it constantly turns on and off in ~30sec cycles, all monitors are blank) only when Intel graphics is selected as primary. The same setting worked good in 0109.

• 3. Re: DQ45CB – BIOS 0115 - Lost internal + external video configuration support
              beartm

I was experiencing the same issue.

Steps to reproduce:
              1). Install any PCIe x16 Graphics adapter
              2). Set the BIOS to use the Internal IGA as the primary
              3). Reboot
              4). Machine attempts to boot, but fails, and retries continually

Steps to recover:
              1). Power Down (forcibly)
              2). Remove the PCIe x16 Graphics Card (only option)
              3). Boot into the BIOS - which defaults now to the IGA
              4). NOTE: BIOS still has the x1 Bus Width shown for the IGA (as it should)

Using BIOS 115 the on-board Intel Graphics Adapter appears to PARTIALLY initialize. The bus width was set to x1 in the BIOS correctly, but the board fails to boot, and then continues to reset/reboot without end, and provides no feedback/beeps/display/etc. Nothing is initialized.

Unfortunately I could not downgrade the BIOS to 0109, as there have been some fixes to the memory support, and VT-d which I required.

Testing the latest BIOS version 0119, and the issue has been fixed. Both Video Cards now initialize properly!

Thanks Intel!

• 4. Re: DQ45CB – BIOS 0115 - Lost internal + external video configuration support
                fritz

I have the same problem with my newly aquired dq45cb

I flashed the 119 firmware then went back to the 109 firmware as suggested above and as a last effort i removed the battery for an hour and express flashed with the 119 firmware.

In all instances the on board graphics fail to initialize as soon as a pci-x video card is inserted.

this is what intel chat support had to say on the issue:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

intelchatsupport: Officially if you use a PCI Express video card the onboard video will be disabled

you: ok, and unofficially?

you: i bought this board to run a 3 monitor solution.

intelchatsupport: let me check, please wait

you: thank you very much.

intelchatsupport: the best option you can try is with an ADD-2 card, it is an PCI Express card with two video outputs

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So much for that. My question is where did I go wrong? Is it a revision issue? Does it make a difference how you flash the bios (recovery/iflash/express) and does it make a difference if the pci-x video card is installed during this process?

I would very much appreciate any constructive input.

Thanks.

• 5. Re: DQ45CB – BIOS 0115 - Lost internal + external video configuration support
                  lugnutwrench

Looks like this board is officially useless when it comes to its own DVI ports. Ridiculous.

Chat InformationPlease wait for a site operator to respond.

Chat InformationYou are now chatting with 'Salem'

Salem: Hello. Thank you for using the Intel Customer Support chat service. We are glad to be of service. How can I help you today?

<me>: I have a DQ45CB with a PCIe video card.

<me>: I set the primary video to the internal Intel on-board graphics via the BIOS.

<me>: After rebooting, the computer boots, but there is no video.

<me>: Not on the integrated video, not on the PCIe card.

<me>: Nothing.

Salem: I see.

Salem: If you get no video when having no PCIe* graphics card, then, the next question is:

Salem: Does the system beep if you try booting it up without memory?

<me>: Without memory?

Salem: Yes

<me>: No, if I remove the memory, I get 3 beeps and it does nothing.

Salem: Ok!

Salem: Does the no-video problem take place only while attempting to reboot?

<me>: Are you kidding me?

<me>: There's no video period.

<me>: Ever since I changed the BIOS settings.

<me>: NO VIDEO.

<me>: I have 4 monitors.

<me>: 2 connected to on-board, 2 connected to PCIe video card.

Salem: Matt, I'm just trying to understand the problem.

<me>: After setting the primary video to the internal Intel on-board graphics via the BIOS, there is no video on any of the monitors.

<me>: Period.

Salem: I confirm having an external card on the c

Salem: ...on the PCIe* slot disables the onboard.

Salem: Thus, do you get video when you have no external video card(s), just the onboard?

<me>: You mean if I then remove the PCIe card?

<me>: No, the video returns.

<me>: But that means I have to crack the case and mess around with the cards.

Salem: Are you typing something else?

<me>: (I.E., pull the card, enter the BIOS, reset the primary video to "AUTO", etc.)

<me>: How do I keep the board from disabling the on-board video?

<me>: I'm trying to drive 4 monitors.

Salem: I have the following comments/suggestions:

<me>: Okay.

Salem: 1. Whenever a PCIe* video card is in, I confirm the onboard video would be disabled.

Salem: 2. For the two onboard video outputs to work, no PCIe* video card must be placed.

Salem: and

Salem: 3. To have 4 monitors functioning at the same time, what is, then, recommended is to use a PCIe* video card that features/supports 4 monitors.

<me>: 4 head video cards are $400+.

<me>: You're telling me that even though there is a separate video controller with its own memory on the motherboard, it's useless when another video card is present?

<me>: http://communities.intel.com/thread/10676

<me>: How did this person drive 3+ monitors then with a dual head video card?

Salem: I confirm the onboard video controller gets automatically disabled by default whenever a PCIe* video card is integrated.

<me>: That is the silliest thing I've ever heard.

<me>: You're saying I have to buy two video cards to get six DVI ports to run four monitors?

Salem: I do thank you for your feedback, and will make sure your feedback is taken into consideration for future board designs.

<me>: Huh?

<me>: I'm looking for a solution, not a form letter.

<me>: There's only on PCIe slot on that motherboard.

<me>: How do I drive 4 monitors?

<me>: ^only one PCIe slot

Salem: The onboard video features two outputs, only.

Salem: To have 4 monitors functioning at the same time, a PCIe* video card that features/supports 4 monitors would then be needed.

<me>: Yes, and those are prohibitively expensive.

Salem: Using the onboard video outputs plus a PCIe* video card will not work together.

<me>: That is not a solution.

<me>: Are there regular PCI video cards that will work?

<me>: Or that are supported?

Salem: Engineering has indicated that PCI video cards on both, the Intel(R) 4 Series Chipset Family-based boards [this includes the Intel(R) Desktop Board DQ45CB] and Intel(R) 5 Series Chipset Family-based boards are not POR (Plan of Record), which means the use of PCI video cards was not intended to work as part of the design.  They are not validated and/or supported.

<me>: Brilliant.

<me>: What about an ADD2 card?

<me>: Would THAT allow 4 monitors?

Salem: No, that would not offer the option of having 4 monitors, as ADD2 cards are extensions of the onboard; however, the maximum available outputs would still be 2, no more than that.

Salem: Revised: No, that would not offer the option of having 4 monitors, as ADD2 cards are extensions of the onboard; thus*, the maximum available outputs would still be 2, no more than that.

<me>: Wow, it's like this board was designed specifically to taunt me.

<me>: Useless.

<me>: Thanks for your help, I guess.

Salem: Thanks for your feedback!

Salem: Is there anything else I might be of assistance to you, today?

<me>: No.

Salem: As I have not heard from you in the last 5 minutes, I will terminate this chat session to assist other customers. If you need further assistance please restart the chat and we will gladly assist you.

Chat InformationChat session has been terminated by the site operator.
                  • 6. Re: DQ45CB – BIOS 0115 - Lost internal + external video configuration support
                    anomaly256

Apparently this issue is due to the fact that there aren't enough PCI-E lanes on the board itself.  Only enough for 1 16x device, so when you plug in a discrete card a multiplexer flips off the IGD.  I had the same problem thinking I could enable both at once...

Although, REALLY, both gpus should fall back to using 8x lanes but I guess whoever designed this thing didn't consider that so with each gpu it's all or nothing.