Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20602 Discussions

Driver version 15.40.28.4501 causes a blue screen

APMichael
New Contributor I

The new driver version 15.40.28.4501 causes a blue screen with a "Driver Power State Failure" error when I shut down the PC at the end of the working day, but only if the PC was in sleep mode (S3) before! (The Windows shutdown screen freezes and after a couple of minutes the blue screen appears.)

Sleep mode (S3) and wake up itself works flawless, regardless how often I use it.

If the PC wasn't in sleep mode (S3) the whole working day, shutdown works flawless also.

A downgrade to the previous driver version 15.40.25.4463 "fixes" the issue.

System: i3-6100U (HDG 520), Windows 10 (x64, 1511, all September 2016 updates, fast startup disabled)

0 Kudos
26 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello APMichael,

To better assist you, could you please fill out the information at the following link and then POST it here.

/thread/77761 https://communities.intel.com/thread/77761

Regards,

Ivan

0 Kudos
APMichael
New Contributor I

Thanks for your reply! I am using the previous driver version (15.40.25.4463) again, so I cannot provide logfiles for the new driver version (15.40.28.4501).

Category

Questions

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue

The new driver version 15.40.28.4501 causes a blue screen with a Driver Power State Failure error when I shut down the PC at the end of the working day, but only if the PC was in sleep mode (S3) before! (The Windows shutdown screen freezes and after a couple of minutes the blue screen appears.)

Sleep mode (S3) and wake up itself works flawless, regardless how often I use it.

If the PC was not in sleep mode (S3) the whole working day, shutdown works flawless also.

A downgrade to the previous driver version 15.40.25.4463 fixes the issue.

Please place an X to the right of the option showing how often you see this issue using specific steps. (Ex: 'Every few times a game is started it flickers.' <- This would be "Often")<p> 

Always (100%):

Often (51-99%): X

Sporadic (20-50%):

Very Sporadic (<20%):

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system.

ASUS VivoMini UN65 (BIOS 0602)

Hybrid or switchable graphics system?

ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?

N/A

Make and model of any Displays that are used to see the issue (see note2 below). 

LFP = Local Flat Panel (Laptop panel)

EFP = External Flat Panel (Monitor you plug in)

EFP, EIZO, HDMI-to-DVI

How much memory [RAM] in the system (see note2 below).

8 GiB

Provide any other hardware needed to replicate the issue.

ie: Cables&brand, cable type [vga, hdmi, DP, etc], dock, dongles/adapters, etc

N/A

<td style="border: 0px solid black; padding: 0 5.4pt 0 5.4pt; border-right: solid windowtext 1.0pt; border-bottom: solid wi...
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you for the information, to further investigate on this issue, could you please post the following information that we are missing from the link above; I will really appreciate it if you could.

You can provide us this information eve though the 15.40.28.4501 is not installed.

Intel SSU (System Support Utility):

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility Download Intel® System Support Utility

Download the utility

Run the exe and select 'Scan'

Save and include as an attachment int he Intel Community Forum

DxDiag Instructions:

Click on the "Start Menu" -> Type "DxDiag" -> Press "Enter" -> Wait for the DirectX Diagnostic Tool to finish loading

In the DirectX Diagnostic Tool, click "Save All Information" -> Save the file DxDiag.txt

Include DxDiag.txt as an attachment in the Intel Community Forum

DispDiag Instructions:

Click on the "Start Menu" -> Type "cmd" -> Then a command shell window will open

In the command shell, type "dispdiag -out %homepath%\Desktop\DispDiag-Intel-Issue.dat" -> The command shell will output something similar to "Dump File: C:\Users\[username]\DispDiag-# -# -# -# .dat"

Locate the .dat file on your desktop and include DispDiag-Intel-Issue.dat in the Intel Community Forum

Regards,

Ivan

0 Kudos
APMichael
New Contributor I

Ok, here are the logfiles.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello APMichael ,

I have tested this driver with several systems but I do not get any blue screen, I see everything normal, then I put the system to sleep and wake up the system, then I shut off the system but I did not get any blue screen.

I couldn't do the test with a system similar like yours to be honest, but I did the test with systems that have the same graphics and support the same driver.

At this point if the problem persists, I strongly recommend contacting your system manufacturer and asking them if they can do the test with a system similar like yours and to see if they get the same problem, if they do not get the same problem, you might need to get a replacement from them.

Something that you can try is the following:

Uninstall the graphics driver; http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005598.html please see Uninstalling the Intel® Graphics Driver.

Once the driver is uninstalled, reinstall the driver manually, please see http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005629.html How to Manually Install an Intel® Graphics Driver in Windows® 10 & Windows 8* or Windows 8.1*

I hope this can help.

Regards,

Ivan

0 Kudos
APMichael
New Contributor I

Hello Ivan,

thank you very much for your detailed reply.

I have two of those "ASUS VivoMini UN65" PCs and on both the issue occurred. With all previous driver versions I used before a blue screen never appears, so there must be something different in the latest driver version. (The PC should be in sleep mode for more than 30 minutes. Short sleep periods did not trigger the issue.)

I already tried uninstall-reinstall before I downgrade to the previous driver. (I also thought that the GDI security patch for Windows could be the culprit, but the previous driver version still works flawless with the September 2016 Windows updates.)

Now I will wait for the next driver release and see if the issue occurs again.

Kind regards,

Michael

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Did you contact ASUS to get some assistance? From our end the driver is working without issues and the driver for your systems, ASUS may have customized your system driver and they are more familiar with these components, they should be able to assist you better.

I can see based on your system model that you provided, you can download the proper drivers for your system here:

https://www.asus.com/Mini-PCs/VivoMini-UN65/HelpDesk_Download/ VivoMini UN65 | Mini PCs | ASUS Global

Please let me know how it goes with the driver from your system manufacturer and if the problem persists we will further investigate on that.

Regards,

Ivan

0 Kudos
APMichael
New Contributor I

No, I didn't contact ASUS because the issue affects an Intel CPU-GPU and its official Intel driver(s). And again a fact which shouldn't be dismissed: "With all previous driver versions I used before a blue screen never appears, so there must be something different in the latest driver version."

Except of the Intel MEI driver there are no special system drivers provided by ASUS. (And I use that one already.)

But anyway thanks again for your great help! If the next driver release triggers the blue screen again, I will contact ASUS also. (And I'm able to provide the Windows dump files.)

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Please allow me to further investigate on this issue.

The reason why I asked about reporting the issue to ASUS is that their drivers could be customized to specifically work with your system, and for them to try it in a system similar like yours.

Regards,

Ivan

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I'm sorry there is a new Beta driver that you can try, you can download it here:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26305/Intel-Beta-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-and-Windows-7-8-1-15-40-?product=88355

Please let me know how it goes.

Ivan.
0 Kudos
APMichael
New Contributor I

I installed the beta driver this morning. Sadly, the blue screen appears again on the first shutdown after a sleep mode period of 45 minutes. I attached the Windows dump file.

I suppose that the Intel Local Management Service (LMS) could be involved. With the previous graphics drivers the Windows event log shows following two entries after every wake up:

1) LMS cannot connect to Intel(R) MEI driver [LMS, EID 2001]

2) Port Forwarding Service connected to Intel(R) MEI driver [LMS, EID 2000]

But these two entries are missing with the latest respectively the beta driver (after a longer sleep mode period).

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Did you try reinstalling the Intel(R) MEI driver to see if it works any better?

You can download it from the asus website.

https://www.asus.com/Mini-PCs/VivoMini-UN65/HelpDesk/ https://www.asus.com/Mini-PCs/VivoMini-UN65/HelpDesk/

Ivan.

0 Kudos
APMichael
New Contributor I

Yes, but no change. Windows Driver Search finds a newer MEI driver version, but that version also doesn't help.

Because all previous graphics drivers (<=4463) are working flawless and the latest graphics drivers (>=4501) are causing a blue screen, the logical consequence is that the latest drivers must have a bug. If you don't agree, then please explain why all previous drivers are working flawless. Can't you contact the devs of the drivers?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you APMichael for this valuable information, I agreed with you, I'm just gathering more information to further investigate this issue, we really appreciate you have taken your valuable time to report this issue to us.

Please allow me to further investigate on this issue and once we have an answer we will post it here.

Best wishes,

Ivan
0 Kudos
APMichael
New Contributor I

Ok, great, thank you very much for your replies and your support.

Kind regards,

Michael

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello APMichael ,

Could you please install the latest 15.40.28.4501 and attach the report to this thread?

Please follow the steps how to get the report at the following link:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005848.html http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005848.html

Thanks,

Ivan

0 Kudos
APMichael
New Contributor I

Ok, here is the desired report.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

HI,

Thank you for that information APMichael, I appreciate it.

Regards,

Ivan
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello APMichael ,

I'm sorry to bother you again, do you mind providing us the report after you get the issue with the latest driver 15.40.28.4501 and also the DxDiag file and as well the Intel® SSU, again we would like to have this information after you get this issue if it is possible.

Please download the Intel® SSU: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility

Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) is a standalone utility that performs a detailed scan, report, and analysis of your computer system information and devices. Intel SSU produces an output file that can be saved, viewed, and upload on this post.

DxDiag:
  • Click on, "Start Button".
  • Click on, "Run".
  • In the pop-up window enter DxDiag and hit ok.
  • The DirectX Diagnostic Tool pop-up window should appear.
  • Click on, "Save all information".

I will really appreciate if you can provide us with this information.

Regards,

Ivan

0 Kudos
APMichael
New Contributor I

No problem! Here are the reports and more.

0 Kudos