Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20657 Discussions

NUC6i3SYK HDMI Video and Audio out issue.

TSimo3
Beginner

I have a Intel NUC6i3SYK that has Windows 10 installed that I bought this week to be used as media center or HTPC. The issue I am having with it is getting display and audio from the HDMI port out. It goes through a harman/kardon AVR 1565 receiver, then goes through a HDMI splitter before going to me TLC TV.

I have tried various different configurations. The Display and sometime audio works when I plug the NUC to the receiver to the TV. And I get display if I plug in the NUC to the splitter to the TV but no audio. When I plug in my NUC to just the TV I get Audio and Display. But nothing in the configuration that I want. I am sure all of my HDMI cable are good and everything is HDMI to HDMI. I have been reading posts about NUCs with similar issues but it was an older post with NUCs that were different models then mine. There was no real solution an it had to deal with the drivers/bios. One of the solutions was getting a device called Dr HDMI. But I would like to avoid spending another $100 if possible.

I have other devices that go through this configuration just fine, such as game systems and other computers. But the NUC fails to do this.

I have also uninstalled and installed the Audio and video drivers numerous times.

Any help to resolve this issue would be great

0 Kudos
12 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello T-Sim:

Even though you mentioned that you already try to un-install and re-install drivers, and also a BIOS update, just to make sure, since the NUC works with Intel® HD Graphics 520, the following will be the latest graphics driver, please try to install it manually, it is version 4501:

Instructions to install the driver manually:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005629.html http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005629.html

Drivers 4501:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26228/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-and-Windows-7-8-1-15-40-?product=88355 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26228/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-and-Windows-7-8-1-15-40-?product=88355

Additionally, the latest BIOS version for the NUC is 0052, if that is not the current BIOS version on the NUC, please try a BIOS update using the F7 method:

BIOS update F7 method:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/desktop-boards/000005724.html http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/desktop-boards/000005724.html

And this is the .BIO file needed:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26283/BIOS-Update-SYSKLi35-86A-?product=89186 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26283/BIOS-Update-SYSKLi35-86A-?product=89186

Also, regarding the HDMI splitter that you are using, are you using 2 monitors, or why do you need to use the splitter?

Are you using high quality HDMI 1.4 cables? Because that behavior of getting audio and video sometimes, indicates that the cable could be the problem, since there are HDMI cables that are not high quality, and this problem might happen.

On the following link you will be able to see a high quality HDMI cable 1.4:

https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Speed-Ethernet-White/dp/B004D5EYG4/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1474912404&sr=8-8&keywords=cable+matters+hdmi+cable+1.4 https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Speed-Ethernet-White/dp/B004D5EYG4/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1474912404&sr=8-8&keywords=cable+matters+hdmi+cable+1.4

Any questions, please let me know.

Alberto

0 Kudos
TSimo3
Beginner

Hey, Alberto

So I updated the graphics driver and bios like you said but still nothing.

I am using the HDMI splitter because one end goes to my tv while the other end goes to a custom built ambilight setup I have on the back of my tv.

I am using good HDMI cables, and to make sure i tested each one with just the connection from the NUC to the TV and i got both Audio and Video.

Any other suggestions?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello T-Sim:

Thank you very much for that information.

In this case the next thing we can try, for testing purposes, will be to test the same configuration but without the splitter, the reason for that is because the source is just one port, and you are basically splitting the resources, so, this kind of behavior is expected.

Please try to connect the NUC to the receiver and then the receiver to the TV, without the splitter and using a straight HDMI cable.

The fact that the NUC works fine when you connect it directly to the TV, it means the NUC is working fine, and the problem could be related to a compatibility problem with the receiver, or the fact that you are using a splitter.

Alberto

0 Kudos
TSimo3
Beginner

Hello Alberto,

So when I have the NUC go only through the receiver to the TV it works.

If I have it go through the splitter, I only get Video. No audio

I i have it go through both, I get nothing.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello T-Sim:

Thank you very much for providing that information.

The reason why when you used just the splitter you get video and no audio, is because the resources from the HDMI port are split, so that is expected.

The problem then will be the options that are available to connect the receiver to the TV.

If the receiver has different HDMI ports, you can use one for each device, for the TV and for ambilight.

Or, if the receiver has for example, a display port, you can use an adapter cable, from display port to HDMI, but it will depend on the ports the receiver has, but the NUC is working fine.

Alberto

0 Kudos
TSimo3
Beginner

Hello Alberto,

The Receiver has 3 hdmi in and one hdmi out, so it acts like a switch that collects the audio on the way through. I need a video signal to be sent to the ambilight and the tv that's why I split the signal.

When I plug the NUC into the splitter I do not get the option to send audio out through HDMI. That's what I mean when I say I get no audio.

Is there a way for me to send out audio through HDMI on the NUC when plugged into the splitter?

I have other computers that go through the similar system of receiver to splitter to TV and they work just fine.

I do not understand why the NUC fails to do something that another computer can accomplish.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello T-Sim:

Thank you very much for letting us know that information.

The HDMI send out audio and video automatically, but the reason for this to happen is that by using the splitter, you are splitting the functions of the single HDMI port, so, what the port does is to share the features for two different devices, when it does that, issues like getting no sound are expected.

Every PC is different, so even if that same configuration works with another PC, does not necessarily mean that it will work with the NUC, or that it will work with any kind of PC.

At this point, the best thing to do, if you have the option of course, is to get a receiver that has at least 2 HDMI out ports, so you can use each of them one for the TV and the other one for the ambilight.

Alberto

0 Kudos
TSimo3
Beginner

Hello Alberto

How do I know the HDMI is sending audio out when I don't see an option to send out audio through HDMI in the Windows 10 playback devices?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello T-Sim:

Thank you very much for letting us know that information.

The HDMI send out audio and video automatically, but the reason for this to happen is that by using the splitter, you are splitting the functions of the single HDMI port, so, what the port does is to share the features for two different devices, when it does that, issues like getting no sound are expected.

Every PC is different, so even if that same configuration works with another PC, does not necessarily mean that it will work with the NUC, or that it will work with any kind of PC.

At this point, the best thing to do, if you have the option of course, is to get a receiver that has at least 2 HDMI out ports, so you can use each of them one for the TV and the other one for the ambilight.

Still, we will do some research on this matter to find out if maybe there is a possible solution to fix this problem.

Are you using an active splitter?

As soon as I get any updates of our research, I will post all the details on this thread.

Alberto

0 Kudos
TSimo3
Beginner
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello T-Sim:

Thank you very much for that information, it is very useful for us to better assist you and to continue with our research.

And yes, the splitter is active.

As soon as I get any results from our investigation, I will post all the information on this thread.

Alberto

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello T-Sim:

I just got some results in regard to the investigation that we did on this matter.

And based on that information, the problem, as it was mentioned before seems to be the splitter.

The problem could be related to compatibility, or it could be a defective splitter, since the NUC works fine when you connect it directly to the TV

At this point then the best thing to do will be to get in contact with the manufacturer of the splitter to get further assistance on the compatibility information, or to replace it if necessary.

Just in case, on the following link you will find tested peripherals with the Intel® NUC6i3SYK, but there are no splitters showing:

Alberto

0 Kudos