4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 23, 2016 6:57 PM by formula1

DZ68DB Master Key Hard Disk Drive Password

formula1

I guess I mistyped my Master Key Hard Disk Drive Password in the beginning. Now when I enter it I get "Invalid Password". Setting BIOS configuration jumper to 2-3 and booting only clears User and Admin Passwords. I never set those anyway. My real issue is that I have a Samsung 840 EVO SSD stuck in an indeterminate mode. I was doing a clean install of Windows XP (as a second drive in a multi-boot scenario - for some legacy Office Programs). During the XP OS install I got a stop: oem.sys has not loaded - Windows may not operate properly, press F3 to exit and start again. I did. Then it hit a BSOD stop. If memory serves, it was either 0xE0000005 or 0x000000E5 (I think), hard drive not found. I booted over to Windows 7 and launched Samsung Magician Software to invoke its Erase Mode to erase this stuck SSD, but it reports password locked, access denied. (How did a password jump onto an SSD with no OS loaded, I ask myself.) Even weirder, when I connect this Samsung SSD to a Motherboard SATA Port, with no other drives attached, I enter motherboard BIOS configuration. I arrow over to Security. There are supposed to be 4 lines. USER PASSWORD - ADMINISTRATOR PASSWORD - MASTER KEY HARD DISK DRIVE PASSWORD - HARD DISK DRIVE PASSWORD. The Master Key Hard Disk Drive Password entry and the Hard Disk Drive Password entry are missing. They are NOT missing If I connect the Windows 7 Drive all alone, and they are NOT missing when I connect both the Windows 7 Drive and the stuck SSD on SATA Port 00 and SATA Port 01 respectively. So before going to ask Samsung support for advice, I thought I'd try going to my Motherboard BIOS configuration and clearing the Hard Disk Drive Password, but before you can do that, you need to enter your Master Key Hard Disk Drive Password in order to access the Hard Disk Drive password to delete it.. But apparently I mistyped it. I can't believe I DID that, but I guess I did it. So I'm asking this. I am wondering whether a BIOS recovery would clear those Passwords. I'm referring to the method where you download the XXXXXX.BIOS file, burn it to disc, power down, remove the BIOS configuration jumber completely, and boot to the XXXXXX.BIOS disc and have the PC go into BIOS recovery. Before I try that I'm here to ask if that is a good or bad idea. Also, does that even clear those Passwords. I know this is not really about the Samsung Drive issue. I'm only trying clear these passwords from my motherboard to see if that will release the password "glued" to the stuck Samsung SSD before I go to ask Samsung Support for help. Thanks.

• 1. Re: DZ68DB Master Key Hard Disk Drive Password
          formula1

By the way, I tried to erase the stuck SSD the old way too. Boot to safe mode with command prompt. Command line diskpart. List disk. Select disk 1. CLEAN ALL. (This writes zeroes to every sector.)  I'm trying to remember the syntax which returned...it was approximately "Disk Inaccessible". Disk Management in the Windows Environment reports "Drive Not Initialized". I try to initialize it but it reports " cannot perform the request...Drive 01 inaccessible".  I thought I'd add this to my prior post.

• 2. Re: DZ68DB Master Key Hard Disk Drive Password
            Al Hill

You need to contact Samsung.

Doc

• 3. Re: DZ68DB Master Key Hard Disk Drive Password
              N.Scott.Pearson

In older systems like this, the BIOS only supported a password on the drive plugged into SATA0. If you have the drive with the password plugged into any other SATA port, you will not be able to see it or clear it.

...S

• 4. Re: DZ68DB Master Key Hard Disk Drive Password
                formula1

N. Scott Pearson,

You helped save a perfectly good Samsung SSD. I connected the stuck XP SSD to SATA0, and got the XP OS Installation Disc ready. Cold booted to F2 BIOS Configuration. It prompted for an HDD Password. I typed it, hit enter. At BIOS Configuration I enabled Boot To Optical Drive, saved changes, hit enter, and it was off to the races. XP installed faultlessly. After Installing Chipset INF and Drivers, I warm booted to BIOS Configuration and arrowed over to security. (Then I used info from the Samsung Magician Software from before. When I tried to erase the original stuck SSD, it reported, "SSD Frozen" Do not turn PC off, remove SATA power cable for a few seconds then connect it again. It had given a filename to enter after a warm reboot. I entered SEGUI0.EXE at the DOS prompt. The Samsung Erase dialogue came back but it the drive was "Password protected. Unable to erase.") Now at security in BIOS Configuration, I got "Invalid Password" again. I removed the SATA Power cable from the SSD, put back, and I was in. I reset the Master Key HDD Password, and used it to try and remove the HDD Password. I entered the new Master Key HDD Password into the HDD Password reset dialog box, hit enter. It said "enter new Password". I left it blank, hit enter. It said "confirm new Password". I left it blank, hit enter. Up top, the display changed from HDD Password Set - to Not Set. Then I reset the Master Key HDD Password. At the dialog box, I left it blank, hit enter. It said confirm new Password. I left it blank, hit enter. Up top the display changed from Master Key HDD Password Set - to Not Set. I took the XP SSD offline, put the Windows 7 SSD on SATA0, and released the Passwords from that SSD. I put the XP SSD on SATA1, and it's all been up and running since. Booting to Windows 7 is just where I want it. Since it's on SATA0 it boots to Windows 7 with no intervention. To boot to XP I hit F10 at a cold or warm boot and the boot menu displays. Arrow down to the XP SSD, hit enter, and it boots to XP. I've tried it several different times. Since it all works correctly, I'm going to mark this issue solved. Very sincere thanks for your guidance.