5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 23, 2016 1:13 PM by Intel Corporation

Big problems with Galileo gen1, Linux Image and Arduino

A-Ba

Hi there.

I have some serious troubles to get my Galileo gen1 to work correctly.

I want to get my Galileo to remember my sketches uploaded via the Arduino IDE after Power off/on.

I made the Linux Image SD as described in the tutorial. But ifi boot the Galileo from that image, it does not get detected by Windows.

I got the Galileo a view months ago and did the folowing steps:

- Updating the firmware to the newest version

- downloaded the newest drivers for windows

- instaled intels version of the Arduino IDE (V.164)

- downloaded the Linux image from intel (iot-devkit-prof-dev-image-galileo-20160606.direct)

- mounted that image to a 4GB SD via Win32diskimager

If i boot the Galileo without the SD everything is fine and i can upload my sketches without any problems. But if I boot them with the SD, nothing works as it should.

I have searched for some time now and found out, that my SD card should have the folowing content.

− image-full-clanton.ext3

− core-image-minimal-initramfs-clanton.cpio.gz –

−bzImage

− grub.efi

− boot

That looks nothing like my SD. I just have the folowing objects.

−bzImage

− boot

I looked around for some other images in intels webside, but all i found had the exact same result. On top of that the content of many links which could have helped me was deleted of moved and so no longer available.

I seriously hope that you can help me solve this problem.

• 1. Re: Big problems with Galileo gen1, Linux Image and Arduino
          FGT

Hi A-Ba.

I have searched for some time now and found out, that my SD card should have the folowing content.

− image-full-clanton.ext3

− core-image-minimal-initramfs-clanton.cpio.gz –

−bzImage

− grub.efi

− boot

That looks nothing like my SD. I just have the folowing objects.

−bzImage

− boot

I looked around for some other images in intels webside, but all i found had the exact same result. On top of that the content of many links which could have helped me was deleted of moved and so no longer available.

It's been reported in a recent thread: Image named iot-devkit-prof-dev-image-galileo-20160606 is not there . The Linux Yocto image you have is the right one

But if I boot them with the SD, nothing works as it should.

What do you mean by "nothing works as it should"? Please describe everything that happens when the Galileo boots with SD, please include screens you see. I've seen that some windows systems show there is one more removable disk when the Galileo USB is plugged in... Anyways, your Galileo seems to be "up & runnig" so maybe we can solve the problem if you send the proper details.

Fernando.

• 2. Re: Big problems with Galileo gen1, Linux Image and Arduino
            A-Ba

Ok, i try.

Because im am in no possible way familiar with linux.

So when i boot without any disk in the galileo, the device is detected like any other Arduino and i can upload sketches to it.

If i boot with the SD-Image i get the detection sound and i get access to the SD like a cardreader (just like you said "...one more removable disk...").

Also the Galileo is not awailable in the Arduino IDE (the selection for dhe com-port is greyed out),

and in the Device-Manager is an unidentified device called "CDC Serial".

I cant remember anymmore if it is the same device that was detected before i installed the Galileo drivers for the first time.

Does that mean, that i need some different drivers for the board when i am booting the device from SD than for booting without SD?

• 3. Re: Big problems with Galileo gen1, Linux Image and Arduino
              A-Ba

By the way. My Laptop runs Windows 8.1.

• 4. Re: Big problems with Galileo gen1, Linux Image and Arduino
                FGT

A-Ba wrote:

Ok, i try.

Because im am in no possible way familiar with linux.

This problem is not about Linux, it's about the way the PC USB connected to Galileo is detected/handled by windows.

If i boot with the SD-Image i get the detection sound and i get access to the SD like a cardreader (just like you said "...one more removable disk...").

Also the Galileo is not awailable in the Arduino IDE (the selection for dhe com-port is greyed out),

I've seen this before. When the SD is detected like a cardreader just use windows "safely remove" to indicate Windows should not use the USB as a cardreader.

In my case (windows 8.1) the USB is always available.

Does that mean, that i need some different drivers for the board when i am booting the device from SD than for booting without SD?

Actually, maybe it will be necessary to update the driver (only once, of course) as indicated in thread CDC Serial: (copied below)

This issue is caused by the CDC driver not being updated. Try with the following steps:

1. Right click on “CDC Driver” and choose Update Driver Software.
                2. Choose the option “Browse my computer for driver software.”
                3. In the next Window choose “Intel Corporation” under the Manufacturer column and “Galileo” under the Model column.
                4. Click “Next “and then “Yes”

HTH,

Fernando.

• 5. Re: Big problems with Galileo gen1, Linux Image and Arduino
                  Intel Corporation
                  This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi A-Ba,

Do you still need help with this thread?

-Sergio