8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2016 10:11 AM by Intel Corporation

Back to BIOS

dcheser698

for some reason my pc had decided not to let me get into BIOS. F2 key is not working because for some reason my keyboard is not powering on until after OS starts. How can i get to my BIOS. Will the back to BIOS work to fix this, i know it should take me to the screen to choose F2 option but if keyboard is not powering on how do i get there.

I have never used the back to bios button but have read in specs sheet what it does. what i dont know is how to properly use it.

do i press it with pc powered on and running or when pc is off. Does main power supply need to be turned off ????????

How do i use (back to bios) and how to get into it without keyboard working.

• 1. Re: Back to BIOS
          lw1948

If in your PC you have UEFI bios try this from windows:

1. Click on Windows icon

2. Click on Power icon

3. Click Shift + Restart - the computer will restart into menu

4. Click on Troubleshoot

5. Then click on Advanced options

6. Finally on UEFI Firmware Settings - you will enter BIOS

• 2. Re: Back to BIOS
            dcheser698

system is not currently in uefi. windows 7 mbr partition.

• 3. Re: Back to BIOS
              N.Scott.Pearson

The Back-2-BIOS button is of the press-on-press-off type. The normal usage is as follows:

1. Power off PC.
              2. Engage the Back-2-BIOS button.
              3. Power on PC. The Back-2-BIOS button should light up and the system should automatically enter BIOS Setup.
              4. Do what you have to do. If you change the configuration, make sure you save the changes.
              5. Power off the PC.
              6. Disengage the Back-2-BIOS button.
              7. Power on the PC.

Hope this helps,

...S

• 4. Re: Back to BIOS
                dcheser698

Thanks for the help steps.

Well i found out what was causing the keyboard not to power on (reason i couldn't get F2 to work) until OS started.

My mouse is Bluetooth. If the Bluetooth adapter is in any usb port during boot the keyboard will not power on until OS starts. Take it out and everything is fine,,,,weird.

But problem solved

• 5. Re: Back to BIOS
                  Intel Corporation
                  This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello, dcheser698:

You are completely right, you will need a wired USB keyboard to access the BIOS. In fact this behavior is expected; however, some devices might allow you to pair the wireless devices in your BIOS configuration, so the next time you can use the wireless keyboard instead of the wired keyboard. You will need to check with your computer manufacturer if your device has this feature.

If there is something else I can help you with let me know.

Regards,

Amy.

• 6. Re: Back to BIOS
                    dcheser698

Only the mouse was bluetooth and i was using a wired mouse to try and access the BIOS. I found out the only way the f2 funtion would work was to remove the bluetooth adapter from usb port. If it was in the port during boot the wired keyboard and mouse would not power on until OS started.           

Thank you to Intel Corp., N Scott Pearson and all others for your help.

• 7. Re: Back to BIOS
                      dcheser698

I may have (by posting different issues caused confussion) as it applies to some of my problems.

I am aware that windows 10 is not supported i just more or less have it installed to see if i like it.

My system is setup to boot into windows 7, 8.1, and 10. Each Operating system is on its own ssd. when booting to one OS i remove the sata cables from other two ssd.

• 8. Re: Back to BIOS
                        Intel Corporation
                        This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

dcheser698 wrote:

Only the mouse was bluetooth and i was using a wired mouse to try and access the BIOS. I found out the only way the f2 funtion would work was to remove the bluetooth adapter from usb port. If it was in the port during boot the wired keyboard and mouse would not power on until OS started.          

Thank you to Intel Corp., N Scott Pearson and all others for your help.         

You're welcome, were are here to help.

dcheser698 wrote:

I may have (by posting different issues caused confussion) as it applies to some of my problems.

I am aware that windows 10 is not supported i just more or less have it installed to see if i like it.

My system is setup to boot into windows 7, 8.1, and 10. Each Operating system is on its own ssd. when booting to one OS i remove the sata cables from other two ssd.

In this case, I would recommend creating a new thread and add all the details in regard to this new issue. This way the next agent will have a better look at your specific scenario, and can add this thread as a reference but I recommend creating a new thread in order to isolate your case.