5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2016 11:58 AM by paul456

NUC D54250WYK  3.5mm audio socket alternatives ?

I normally use the 3.5mm socket with noise-cancelling headset to make Skype calls every day.  In the evening I swop the headset for another 3.5mm plug to connect in my hi-fi system to watch films etc. so there are at least 2 plug switches per day.

All is fine for first year, then connections get less reliable, sometimes the headphone, sometimes the mic connection, doesnt connect.   I don't know if it is the lax dimensional tolerances on 3.5mm plugs (one can sometimes see differences by naked eye), the spring in the socket, or corrosion that is the cause, but the socket is now near unusable, which is crucial if you rely on Skype for international calls as I do.   As the 3.5mm socket is soldered to the motherboard, I doubt I can easily replace it.  However, there may be a fix.  The motherboard spec says there is a audio header on the mother board.  Can this be used as an alternative audio 2-way connection ?   If so, what type of header plug do I need to buy ?   It would be ideal if there is one sold with pigtail leads already connected, even better if there is a good quality 3.5mm socket at the other end.

Thank  you

• 1. Re: NUC D54250WYK  3.5mm audio socket alternatives ?

How old is your board (i.e. how long ago did you purchase it)? If it is less than three years, your warranty covers failures like this and you can get a replacement unit. If you are still eligible, contact Intel and set up an RMA...

• 2. Re: NUC D54250WYK  3.5mm audio socket alternatives ?

Thanks for reminding me of the 3 year warranty.   Placed my order on 22/11/2013 but it was not until 13/12/13 I built the NUC as all neccessary parts, memory, ssd, 7260 HMW had not arrived until then, so time still left on the warranty.    Do you know how/where to raise an RMA for UK address ?

Perhaps at same time Intel can fix 2 other issues I had on this NUC from day 1 - Very short Intel Wireless-AC 7260 HMW range on 2.4GHz, and fit a quieter fan.

At the moment I rely on this NUC as my only PC in use 8+ hours/day, so can't send it back until I get another workin gmachine.  But as long as I get an RMA number well before warranty expires, I guess I am covered.

I also bought a NUC DN2820FYK in March 2014 as a 'backup' in case this one went down, but when I ran it up a few months ago to check all was ok it wouldnt boot !    Havent had time to find out why, maybe the RTC battery ran down because I havent switched it on enough ?

I hope for 7th Gen i5 refresh Intel IMPROVE the design by

a)  finding space for a more reliable wired Audio I/O.   If they can find space to add a pair of RCA Left/Right sockets to allow a permanent connection to Hi-Fi system, while keeping some form of wired Audio I/O to drive a Skype Headset.   By having 2 wired audio connections, there is no need to keep switching between Hi-fi system and Skype Headset.

b)  finding space to fit a pair of RP-SMA bulkhead sockets so users can easily connect external Antenna to improve WiFi range.

On the slim cases there should be space for RP-SMA at rear if they were able to reposition the ventilation grilles, and space on the front between the USB & 3.5mm socket for a pair of vertically positioned RCA's

Its good Intel started adding microSD slot; I hope to all future models also.

• 3. Re: NUC D54250WYK  3.5mm audio socket alternatives ?

You can try using the online service (here: Online Service Request) or the chat service (here: Live Chat), but I don;t recommend them (and I see lots of reports of problems using them). To look up local numbers, go to this page: Contact Support. It should list local numbers (or have a link to get to them). If it doesn't, check your phone book (the support office is in Swindon, I believe).

• 4. Re: NUC D54250WYK  3.5mm audio socket alternatives ?
                Intel Corporation
                This message was posted by Intel Corporation on behalf of

Hi paul456,
                I am following up on your case. Let me know if I can help you with anything else.
                 Mike C

• 5. Re: NUC D54250WYK  3.5mm audio socket alternatives ?

Hi Mike C

Thanks for your offer.   Before your post, as RMA was the suggested answer I went round in circles chasing various links first on intel.com, then intel.co.uk which linked back to intel.com. Finally I resorted to directory enquiries for Intel Pipers Way and thankfully was told they will issue an RMA.   What I forgot to ask  was:   1) do they repair or replace,  2) if replacing, will it be new or refurbished.   Can you advise ?

The rest of the motherboard has been faultless, but as mentioned in my initial post on 13/12/2013, the fan was much noisier than on my previous miniPC (Acer Revo 3610) and and it was suggested the fan be replaced.  Do you know if since Nov. 2013 a quieter make of fan (the fan on my NUC DN2820FYKH is quieter) is available ?