Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14506 Discussions

I have not Overclocked but Intel PID util shows so??????????

idata
Employee

I have two Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz CPU's with Gigabyte mobo's.

One is running Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit and the other Vista Ultimate 64bit

I just downloaded the Intel® Processor Identification Utility and checked, both CPU's show Overclocked and I haven't overclocked either one of them.

In the BIOS it shows 2.66 whereas in the OS system specs it shows 2.79 and in the Intel PID util it shows 2.83 for both the CPU's

I just read on your website """If the system was not intentionally overclocked, the tested processor may actually be a fraudulently "re-marked" microprocessor.""""

It's been over a year and I had not seen this error as I came across the Intel PID util recently and installed.

Here are some screenshots OF THE PROBLEM

SYSTEM INFO

PLEASE HELP ME OUT AS I DO NOT UNDERSTAND OVERCLOCKING OR ANY OTHER TECHNICAL INFORMATION AS SUCH

7 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi,

Have you chaqnged anything in the BIOS at all? memory timings, boot devices disabled enabled something?

idata
Employee

Figured it out

It is the Intel TurboBoost technology that does this. Disabling it I get the normal result

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Does not work for me. The reported value is still higher than the expected value.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Did u disable Turbo Boost?

And have you overclocked at all in the BIOS or changed any other settings(Check my BIOS screenshot, those are the default values)

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I did not disabled the turbo boost feature in the bios because that is part of the processor's feature. It is set to auto. What is disabled is the turbo Boost monitor. I even uninstalled it. I also did not implement overclocked. Anyway it is not really a critical case so I can live with it for the moment until the next version of Turbo Boost monitor.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

yes...TurboBoost is in fact one of the features of the i5 and i7 processors and to help you out further on that ...here is a link.......this feature boosts the frequency of the processor...check the table on the page below.

http://www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/CS-029908.htm http://www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/CS-029908.htm

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you for the additional information. I do appreciate it.

0 Kudos