1 2 3 Previous Next 31 Replies Latest reply on Jun 13, 2017 9:51 AM by Intel Corporation

600p driver For windows 7 Preinstall

NotAmused2016

I have been struggling for 3 days to install windows 7 on to a new Intel 60oP M.2 drive.

All the NVMe drivers that I have been sent or found do not recognise the drive

I have tried slip streaming and loading the drivers during install and they all fail to find the drive

I have tried MS standard NVMe express drivers as per this page https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/kb/2990941 which is also failing

To test that the SSD is in fact working in the board I installed windows 10 pro successfully and updated and surfed the net fine

So I need to find a proper driver.

Thanks

• 1. Re: 600p driver For windows 7 Preinstall
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello NotAmused2016,

Unfortunately this is a common issue customer are facing when installing Windows 7* on these new drives.

The main reason behind it is that these drives use the inbox drivers built into the operating system, since Microsoft* now provides native support for NVMe* drives on Windows* 7, 8.1, and 10. That being said, NVMe drives where not natively supported by Windows 7* originally, this support was added later via a Windows® update.

If you read the Microsoft article that you've provided us, it not only provides the hotfix to add these support to an OS, which is meant for customers who have the OS already installed and are simply adding an NVMe* drive as a secondary or storage unit. It also provides a method for you to perform a clean installation using an NVMe* drive as the primary SSD.

To actually install the OS on this drive, it gets slightly more technical, and as you would actually need to add the hotfix to the Windows* image itself before attempting the installation. Microsoft® does not seem to provide a standalone driver.

The Microsoft KB article 2990941 you mentioned provides two methods to perform these actions. One requires that you insert the hotfixes and drivers to the boot.wim, then update the sources folder by running Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) commands. The second method requires you to install the OS on a SATA drive then transfer the generalized image to the Intel® SSD 600p/6000p.

We can suggest that you try to apply the hotfix from Microsoft* on the original HDD and then try to clone this installation to your SSD, this may eventually works, so please let us know the outcome.

Regards,
          NC

• 2. Re: 600p driver For windows 7 Preinstall
            NotAmused2016

Hi,

After trying gigabytes own winimage update software which appeared to fail to update boot.wim and install.wim on monday I tried it again wednesday night and it worked (picnic or pebkac possibly)

issue closed

• 3. Re: 600p driver For windows 7 Preinstall
              Intel Corporation

Hello NotAmused2016,

We are glad to know that you were able to successfully install Windows 7* on your new drive. By any chance do you know what happened before?
              It will be important for other users to know which steps you followed to successfully accomplish the installation.

Regards,
              NC

• 4. Re: 600p driver For windows 7 Preinstall
                tihe

Hello,

FYI

I successfully installed Windows 7 on a 600p SSD following the instructions of Method 1 from https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/kb/2990941 .

Because there is no driver for this SSD available, you can delete the driver related command lines.

Best Regards,

Timo

• 5. Re: 600p driver For windows 7 Preinstall
                  Intel Corporation

Hi Tihe,

Thanks for sharing the method you used. We really appreciate your comments and we are sure this will help users.

Regards,
                  NC

• 6. Re: 600p driver For windows 7 Preinstall
                    Pr05t3n

Tried but without luck, I also tried installing the hotfix with NTLite but still unsuccessful. Using a Windows 7 Pro original iso. I could not in my wildest dreams imagine this problem since I did the same installation on a NUC Skylake/win 7 Pro but with the huge difference Samsung 950Pro (loading drivers during windows installation) worked like a charm.

• 7. Re: 600p driver For windows 7 Preinstall
                      Intel Corporation

Hi Pr05t3n,

Could you please check your private messages?
                      Let us know if you received it.

Regards,
                      NC

• 8. Re: 600p driver For windows 7 Preinstall
                        DaveMc

Hotfix 2990941 has an installable which is only accessible by submitting your email address.

The file emailed by hotfix@microsoft.com is 477475_intl_x64_zip.exe  6Mb

Running the exe on a machine in the Method 2 state, ie Windows 7 Pro installed on a conventional SATA connected SSD, gives the following error

Device not found

The install log file states the driver is for P3xxx and 750 series devices, which are not found, so the installer will not proceed.

• 9. Re: 600p driver For windows 7 Preinstall
                          Intel Corporation

Hello DaveMc,

Could you please check your private messages?
                          Let us know if you received it.

Regards,
                          NC

• 10. Re: 600p driver For windows 7 Preinstall
                            DaveMc

Thanks for the request to lodge a support request with Intel.

The request was lodged as

Issue:

600p is not useable at all on Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1, as of September 2016.

Reproduce:

Install 600p as primary disk

Install Windows 7 Pro sp1 x64 with DVD on secondary SATA disk.

Receive email of driver https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/kb/2990941

Run driver executable

Learn from install log file and inf that driver install will not complete as it does not support 600p

No other Windows 7 Intel NVMe driver available.

Unfortunately, the entire intel support request system is broken, and after entering all the details, gives the message.

System Unavailable

Intel Customer Support Service Request Management is unavailable. We are actively working to resolve the system issue.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and appreciate your patience.

- Intel Customer Support Team 

• 11. Re: 600p driver For windows 7 Preinstall
                              Intel Corporation

Hello DaveMc,

Thank you for reporting the online request service is having issues, we will report it right away. In the meantime, you may want to try our Live Chat Support, they will be able to create a case for you and give you further instructions. Remember to make a reference of this thread, for better addressing of this situation.

We will be waiting for you.

Regards,
                              NC

• 12. Re: 600p driver For windows 7 Preinstall
                                Intel Corporation

Hello DaveMc,

We would like to know if you were able to get in contact with our support department and if you require further assistance from us. We will be waiting for your response.

Regards,
                                NC

• 13. Re: 600p driver For windows 7 Preinstall
                                  nestor_intel

Pr05t3n and DaveMc,

Could you please follow this public article created by Intel:

http://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/solid-state-drives/Intel_6_Series_PCIeNVMe_InstallGuide.PDF

Let us know if this helps.

Regards.

• 14. Re: 600p driver For windows 7 Preinstall
                                    dendrit

Hi,

I also did the mistake and bought 256GB Intel SSD 600P series...

The intent was to use it as a primary drive using Windows 7 on Gigabyte GA-B150M-HD3 with Skylake i3 CPU because of the advantageous NVMe speed over the SATA.

I spent wole day bothering with it, I have tried all the options:
                                    - just provide driver (AHCI, USB3, whatever found, from Gigabyte; from Intel) during the installation (the USB3 drivers just hangs the installer, nice)

- incorporate two Microsoft related hotfixes to the boot/install wim files of the image

- incorporate various drivers (Intel RST, Intel USB3.0) to the boot/install wim files

- try to install from USB also as another bootable (regular) sata drive

No luck, no result.

The motherboard sees the drive, but the installer does not.
                                    It is really such a problem to provide preinstall driver for this drive as other manufacturers do?

I'm going to return this useless piece of... hardware and buy just normal sata drive :-(

Intel hardware used to be exceptional in the past...

1 2 3 Previous Next