6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 27, 2016 3:01 PM by Intel Corporation

I want to add a forth HDD to my Raid 5 Array

avoellm

I have a RAID5 consisting of three 6TB HDD. Now i want to add another, but i can't. It's only possible to mark it as replacement ( I don't you the exact englisch wording, because i'm using a german System).

All disks are 6TB, but the forth (i want to add to the raid) is not the same model as the other three. The size of the drives already in use is: 5.723.167MB. the size of the new one is: 5.723.135MB. Does the difference of 32MB make it impossible to add this drive?

My Chipset is: H97

I'm using Windows Server 2012 R2

• 1. Re: I want to add a forth HDD to my Raid 5 Array
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello avoellm:

In regard to your question, you should be able to add a new hard drive to the RAID 5 configuration, but there is a requirement, that the new hard drive needs to have the same exact size or needs to be bigger than the ones that are already in use, so, even if the difference is just 32MB, the RAID 5 will not accept that new hard drive.

I will do further research in order to try to find out if there is a different way to add a new hard drive to the RAID 5, as soon as I get a possible solution I will post all the details on this thread.

Any questions, please let me know.

Alberto

• 2. Re: I want to add a forth HDD to my Raid 5 Array
            Intel Corporation

Hello avoellm:

I just wanted to let you know, that even if the size of the new hard drive is smaller than the other three drives, still, there might be an option to expand the RAID, but it will depend on the option-ROM the BIOS has.

So, every BIOS update should have released notes, if you can get those notes and check if the opt-ROM gets updated with a BIOS update, you can try to do that and then look for the option to expand the RAID on IRST.

Are you using an Intel board? If you do, please provide the model of it.

If you are using a board from a different manufacturer, please get in contact with them directly so they can assist you with the information related to the BIOS update.

Alberto

• 3. Re: I want to add a forth HDD to my Raid 5 Array
              avoellm

Thank you VERY MUCH for your efforts.

I have a Gigabyte-board.

Waiting for a BIOS update was no option, so I started a long and maybe risky way. I copied as much as possible to the forth, smaller, non-raid hdd (4), removed one hdd (1) from the raid, formated it and copied the rest of the data from the "defective" raid to this hdd (1).

Afterwards I dissolved the raid and built a new one with smaller hdd (4) (preserving the data on this hdd) and the two empty ones (hdd 2 and 3). Now i copied the data from hdd (1) to the raid and right now i'm adding hdd (1) to the raid.

It's now the fifth day of coping and rebuilding, but i can see light on the end of the tunnel. :-)

• 4. Re: I want to add a forth HDD to my Raid 5 Array
                Intel Corporation

Hello avoellm:

You are welcome, thank you very much for letting us know that information.

It is great to hear that you find a way to hopefully make it work.

It is remarkable the type of configuration you are trying to do, spending five days working on this matter, we really wish it works the way you are expecting.

Please let us know the results.

Alberto

• 5. Re: I want to add a forth HDD to my Raid 5 Array
                  avoellm

It worked. The new RAID is running.

But there's a new problem: the clustersize of the partition is 4k, so the maximum size of the partition is limited to 16TB. So I had to create a new partition with 8k clusters in the free space i got from the forth hdd. Copy as much data as possible from the 4k, then resize both partitions and copy again,...

copying, defragmentation, resizing ... after copying for another three days, i hopefully will be finished tomorrow night.

I swear, if I knew all this in advance, i stayed on my 3 hdd-raid. :-)

• 6. Re: I want to add a forth HDD to my Raid 5 Array
                    Intel Corporation

Hello avoellm:

Perfect, excellent, it is great to hear that the RAID configuration is finally working, and yes the information about the cluster size of the partition is correct.

Once again, let me apologize for any inconvenience on this matter.

Hopefully everything will work properly once the process gets completed.

Any other inquiry, do not hesitate in contact us again.

Regards

Alberto