6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 20, 2016 10:28 AM by Intel Corporation

Thunderbolt Device Ruins Dual Display?

OEFVet

I recently acquired an Akitio Thunder3 Duo Pro, I use this device on the TB3 port of the Skull Canyon NUC. It works.

I run HDMI 2.0 to my 4k display directly from the NUC, I run mDP port directly from the NUC to my Samsung to extend my desktop.

Here is the head scratcher:

While using a Thunderbolt device:

I am unable to extend my desktop to the mDP monitor.

Windows claims the display on mDP is not detected.

The mDP port outputs a mirror of the HDMI port.

While using the TB3 device I am unable to adjust the resolution of the HDMI display beyond 1080, it is simply not even offering me the option to adjust the resolution.

I DO NOT RUN ANY DISPLAYS VIA THE THUNDER3 DUO PRO. IT IS SIMPLY A RAID0 DAS IT IS NOT BEING USED FOR ANYTHING ELSE.

YES I HAVE THE LATEST FIRMWARE FOR THE NUC AND THE THUNDERBOLT

I USE WIN 10 HOME, 32gb ram, SAMSUNG 950 PRO, ALL THE LATEST DRIVERS, ALL THE LATEST FIRMWARE

I AM UNWILLING TO PURCHASE A TB3 MONITOR, A DISPLAY PORT CABLE, OR ANYTHING ELSE FOR THIS NUC.

IF INTEL WANTS ME TO TRY DIFFERENT CABLES/MONITORS.... YOU HAVE MY ADDRESS SHIP IT TO ME

• 1. Re: Thunderbolt Device Ruins Dual Display?
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted by Intel Corporation on behalf of

Hi OEFVet,

Intel has not tested yet this External Thunderbolt™ 3 & USB 3.1 Gen 1 Storage Solution. Before giving to you any troubleshooting, provide me with more details of your configuration.

You are using dual monitor configuration with HDMI and mDP. Send me the current resolution and the refresh rate per monitor that you are trying to get; plus tell me if you have mDP to DP or mDP to HDMI.

Also, let me know the current speed of the 32GB of memory, tell me if BIOS is equal to 0041and if you have updated HDMI 2.0 and Thunderbolt firmware updates.

Is it possible to get Extend monitor configuration without the Storage Solution? If yes, let me know the resolution and refresh rate per monitor. I would appreciate if you can send me the brand name and model of both monitors.

Regards,
          Mike C

• 2. Re: Thunderbolt Device Ruins Dual Display?
            OEFVet

Mike,

I am using an Akitio Thunder3 Duo Pro via Thunderbolt 3. Intel's instructions for the Skull Canyon Thunderbolt firmware update show Intel using the Thunder3 Duo Pro.

My monitors are hooked into the NUC's HDMI and mDP port. My current resolution and refresh is LOCKED at 1080p30; I do not have the option to change it now that the Thunder3 Duo Pro is attached.

32GB Ram is 2400mhz. The Bios is 0041, and I have NOT updated HDMI 2.0 I have BOXNUC6i7KYK04 (HDMI Pre-Flashed).

The Thunderbolt firmware & the firmware of the Thunder3 Duo Pro is the most recent.

Monitor Sony Bravia KD-43x8300C 4k 2015 HDMI 2.0

Monitor Samsung UA40ES6220RXXT mDP to HDMI

Yes, It was possible to get extended display WITHOUT the thunderbolt storage device. The resolution was {whatever I wanted it to be up to 2160p30} usually kept @ 1080 59or60 I believe. With the TB3 storage attached and ONE HDMI Monitor I am unable to adjust the resolution it is locked at 1080. Another recent finding: the Audio over the HDMI is no longer available.

• 3. Re: Thunderbolt Device Ruins Dual Display?
              Intel Corporation

Hi OEFVet,

Let’s try to narrow down the issue. The default memory speed is 2133MHz, so for testing purposes go to BIOS and change memory speed.

Then, update chipset and Management Engine drivers from
              https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/89187/Intel-NUC-Kit-NUC6i7KYK

Continue with the graphics driver 4501
              https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26228/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-and-Windows-7-8-1-15-40-?product=88357

According to your monitors the maximum resolutions are below:
              Sony Bravia KD-43x8300C 4k 2015 - Max. resolution: 3840x2160/30p
              Samsung UA40ES6220RXXT – Maximum resolution: 1,920 x 1,080

HDMI 2.0: Sony Bravia KD-43x8300C 4k 2015 - Max. resolution: 3840x2160/30p
              http://www.sony-asia.com/support/product/KD-43X8300C
              mDP to HDMI: Samsung UA40ES6220RXXT – Maximum resolution: 1,920 x 1,080
              http://www.samsung.com/ph/consumer/tv-av/tv/hd/UA40ES6220RXXP

Using only NUC and monitors; plug the Samsung TV to the HDMI port (1,920 x 1,080) and Sony Bravia TV to mDP(3840x2160/30p). Go to Intel graphics control panel, review if it is possible to get the maximum TV resolutions and Audio.

If it is possible to get default TV resolutions, let’s continue the test with Thunderbolt™ 3 & USB 3.1 Gen 1 Storage Solution.

Let me know how it works.  

Mike C

• 4. Re: Thunderbolt Device Ruins Dual Display?
                OEFVet

None of that helped. The displays are not recognized when using the TB3 device.

• 5. Re: Thunderbolt Device Ruins Dual Display?
                  OEFVet

Intel,

Fixed. I went into the BIOS and set the primary default display device to HDMI and the Secondary device to mDP... now everything is perfect.

In automatic it throws the display signal to the TB3 device.

Please verify and fix that in the next firmware.

• 6. Re: Thunderbolt Device Ruins Dual Display?
                    Intel Corporation

Hi OEFVet,

Thank you for your update and troubleshooting. I have passed your suggestion to my upper level.

Mike C