1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply on Oct 7, 2016 2:44 PM by Intel Corporation

Using a browser to test WiFi connection?

hrh1818

In the book "Programming the Intel Edison" the author uses the command configure_edison --webserver and a browser to test the WiFi connection.  However, the command configure_edison --webserver is not available in a recent version of the Yocto program.  Is an alternate method available for configuring the Edison webserver?  If yes where can I find the code?

jrh1818

• 1. Re: Using a browser to test WiFi connection?
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi jrh,

Yes, probably this feature has been removed for some reason in latest images. But I think there are some other examples available.
          Check this “Simple Web Server Example” for Edison http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/000006164.html, this could be an option. Or you could try to implement this other one https://software.intel.com/en-us/xdk-sample-creating-a-web-server using the Intel XDK.
          Let us know if you need some more help.

Regards,
          -Pablo

• 2. Re: Using a browser to test WiFi connection?
            hrh1818

Hello Pablo,

I tried the simple WebServer example you suggested.  When I run the sketch the serial monitor says "To see this program in action open a browser to http://192.168.1.80".  However, using Chrome to connect to 192.168.1.80 Chrome says "This site can't be reached 192.168.1.80 refused to connect".  I know 192.168.1.80 is a valid address because I can use SSH to connect to the Intel Edison using 192.168.1.80.   

Any suggestions on how to  fix this failed to connect problem?

hrh1818

• 3. Re: Using a browser to test WiFi connection?
              Intel Corporation

Hi hrh,

I just tried to run the example and had the exact same issue. Here’s the screenshot of the message I got.

I’m wondering if the issue is related to the latest image or with the Proxy/Firewall settings of our computers. Let me run some more tests and I’ll get back to you once I have updates.
              Have you been able to run or try the other methods I provided? Did you get different results?

Regards,
              -Pablo

• 4. Re: Using a browser to test WiFi connection?
                hrh1818

Hello Pablo

I did not try the other example you suggested.  Instead I am looking into using Node.js for a a web server.    I don't think it is a fire wall problem.  The Yocto software for the Intel Galileo provides a simple test using a web browser to test the Ethernet connection that works.  My hypothesis is if I do't see firewall problems with the Galileo I shouldn't see firewall problems with the Intel Edison.

Best Regards  hrh1818

• 5. Re: Using a browser to test WiFi connection?
                  Intel Corporation

Hi hrh,

You might be right, I’ve run some other tests with different settings in my Firewall configuration and with/without connection to a proxy, and I’m still experiencing the same issue (I also used different image versions as I mentioned in one of my previous posts). I’ll let you know if I have updates with my tests.
                  Regarding your interest in implementing a Node.js web server, I believe you’ll find the other example I provided very interesting as it is in fact developed using Node.js in the XDK. It is one of the templates of the XDK. I would suggest you to check it so you can use it as guidance.

Regards,
                  -Pablo

• 6. Re: Using a browser to test WiFi connection?
                    hrh1818

ello Pblo,

Using the instructions in the web article "Create a Web Server in Node without any code" I was able to use WiFi to download a Web Page from my Intel Edison. 

Here is a summary of the instructions.

Use the command  sudo npm install -g http-server  to install web server http-server.

Use nano to create the following web page and save it with the file name index.htnl in any convenient directory.  Web server http-server is not fussy about which directory you use.  

<html>
                    <head> <title> Welcome </title> </head>
                    <body> Welcome to Intel Edison </body>
                    </html>

Use the command   http-server  to run the web server

Point your browser to (Edison's IP address):8080.  On my PC I pointed Chrome at 192.168.1.80:8080.

Next week  I will try the XDK example you suggested.

Tank you for your help   hrh1818

• 7. Re: Using a browser to test WiFi connection?
                      feet.lost

Hi Pablo,

Can you try "ifconfig usb0 down" first before running your code?

And then try connecting to it using the browser!

• 8. Re: Using a browser to test WiFi connection?
                        Intel Corporation

Hi hrh,

Thank you for your update. Is this the article you’re talking about http://thisdavej.com/create-a-web-server-in-node-without-any-code/? We appreciate you sharing the steps necessary to make it work. Let us know how it goes with the XDK example.

Kind regards,
                        -Pablo

• 9. Re: Using a browser to test WiFi connection?
                          hrh1818

Hello Pablo,

When I tried the the Simple Web Server Example Chrome says "Failed to connect". 

The simple Web Server Example was created using an older version of XDK.  When the recent version of XDK opens the Simple Web Server source code it modifies the original source code to make it compatible with the latest XDFK version.  This updating process changed the original main.js source code to :

1 JSHint Problem

LineProblemCode snippet
                          3'' is defined but never used. (W098)/*global */
                          • 10. Re: Using a browser to test WiFi connection?
                            hrh1818

Hello Pablo,

The software that runs the forum wouldn't let me add more text to my previous message.  I was going to add I am not surprised Chrome says "Failed to connect".

hrh118

• 11. Re: Using a browser to test WiFi connection?
                              Intel Corporation

Hi guys,

Feet.lost, last time I didn’t notice your post, I apologize, I already tried your suggestion of turning off the usb0 interface, but I got the same results. I believe I don’t have an issue with the connection, because I can ping successfully, but with the Server examples.

Hrh, we are now investigating this, I’ll get back to you once we have some more updates. Thank you for your patience.

Regards,
                              -Pablo

• 12. Re: Using a browser to test WiFi connection?
                                Intel Corporation

Hello guys,

Thank you for your patience.
                                There is a known issue in latest images when trying to access the Edison local web page. Please try with version 159 or under and modify the port in the Arduino sketch. Use the port 8080 instead of 80, and then access the web page by using the following format: [ip_address]:8080. You should be able to access the web page of the Arduino example code.
                                Remember that running the examples while being connected to the VPN will probably cause some issues too.

Regards,
                                -Pablo

• 13. Re: Using a browser to test WiFi connection?
                                  hrh1818

Hello Pablo,

I don't  understand  what you mean by 159 or under image.  I checked the Intel download page and couldn't find any simple identifying numbers like 159 on the downloads page.  Please provide more guidance on getting an older Yocto image that meets your 159 or under requirement. 

Thanks

hrh1818

• 14. Re: Using a browser to test WiFi connection?
                                    Intel Corporation

Hi hrh,

Sorry for not explaining myself more clearly, 159 is one of the many image releases for the Edison board. In the Edison serial console, when you enter configure_edison --version you’ll get a message like in the table below:

16 = Release 1
                                    120 = Release 2.0
                                    146 = Release 2.1
                                    159 = Release 2.5
                                    None = Release 3.0 and 3.5.

This nomenclature was abandoned for releases 3.0 and 3.5, so you’ll get a “none” message if you enter configure_edison --version. For the latest releases you can use the following command cat /etc/version, and you’ll get a number which is the date of release for that specific firmware.
                                    I guess you’re using the latest image (3.5), so for the web server example to work you’ll need to make the test with a previous image. That’s what I meant with 159 or under, here’s the link for image 146 https://downloadmirror.intel.com/24910/eng/edison-image-ww18-15.zip.

Regards,
                                    -Pablo

1 2 Previous Next