6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 16, 2016 3:35 PM by Intel Corporation

Reg:The Serial port

Radhika.k

Hi all,

I'm using Intel Edison Arduino expansion board,I'm unable to connect via serial port after I have removed and refixed the edison chip.I think the serial pins are broken.There are two questions regarding this,

1)Can I have warranty on this..??Can the edison be replaceable ??

2)I'm able to connect through wifi,but while reading the values from analog pins such as A0,A4 and A5 ,I'm unable to get the output from those pins.Are the serial port connections interlinking to the analog pins of the edison???I'm able to get the values of the gpio pins as 1 and 0 but when the sensor is connected I'm unable to get the sensor values from the analog pins.

Please do needful.Hoping for the positive reply.Thanks in advance.

Thanks and Regards,

Radhika.

• 1. Re: Reg:The Serial port
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi Radhika,

We are sorry to hear that, but I need more information try to find out what's the problem with your board and later we can analyze if we can do a replacement. So I if you don’t mind can you try to do the next tests:

1. Try to install the serial port driver (Check this link: http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/D2XX.htm), maybe it is already installed but try to install it again just to make sure that this is not the problem.
          2. Flash your Edison Image running the Flashall Script (https://communities.intel.com/docs/DOC-25154).
          3. It is possible to test the serial connection and the analog pins on another board? It is just to make sure that the problem is with the hardware of your board.
          Let me know when you get the results to help you further.

Regards,
          -Leonardo
          • 2. Re: Reg:The Serial port
            Radhika.k

Hi Leonardo,

I have tried with the steps you have given and unable to detect the serial driver on my intel edison and I tried to install following the steps you have given in the link http://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Documents/AppNotes/AN_220_FTDI_Drivers_Installation_Guide_for_Linux.pdf .But,I'm unable to detect the serial port and the I'm pinning the result here.

ftdi.png

please do needful,Can I have replacement??

Thanks and Regards,

Radhika

• 3. Re: Reg:The Serial port
              Intel Corporation

Hi Radhika,

Now with the image that you provided I know that you are using Linux, on Linux the FTDI driver is already installed so you can check that the FTDI driver is already installed with the following command: dmesg | grep FTDI (You should have your Edison connected) look at this picture:

FTDI.PNG

Once you have checked that your FTDI driver is installed, you can connect to the serial port with the command: sudo screen /dev/ttyUSB0 115200

And did you try the other steps? Please let me know when you get the results of the 3 test to try to solve your issue.

Regards,
              -Leonardo

• 4. Re: Reg:The Serial port
                Radhika.k

Hi Leonardo,

I'm not getting the output as mentioned above,and I'm pinning the output .ftdi1.png

Even though,I'm unable to connect to serial and it is showing blank.

Thanks and Regards,

Radhika.

• 5. Re: Reg:The Serial port
                  Intel Corporation

Hi Radhika,

Can you show me the result that you are getting when you run the command sudo screen /dev/ttyUSB0 115200?

I personally recommend you to do Flash your Edison first (https://communities.intel.com/docs/DOC-25154), and then run the command sudo screen /dev/ttyUSB0 115200.

Did you try the step 3 of my first recommendations? Because we can make sure that the first board is damaged if you connect the other board to the serial port without problems 

I will be waiting for your reply, appreciate your patience.

Regards,
                  -Leonardo

• 6. Re: Reg:The Serial port
                    Intel Corporation

Hi Radhika.k,

Do you still have issues with the serial port? Did you try my recommendations?

Remember that we are here to help you.

Regards,
                    -Leonardo