3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 8, 2016 7:59 PM by Intel Corporation

Disk from NUC5i5SYKH wont boot in NUC6i5SYK, why?

Spanken

I have an m.2 disk in my NUC5i5SYKH which works. When I move it over to my new NUC6i5SYK it won't boot. Any suggestion why not?

* I have tried updating the BIOS on the NUC6i5SYK to the latest but still no luck.

* The disk is recognized in BIOS and Boot Menu

• 1. Re: Disk from NUC5i5SYKH wont boot in NUC6i5SYK, why?
          K24A3

When you say 'wont boot', what exactly happens? What is the Error message?

Does it say 'No System Disk'?

- make sure the boot mode in the BIOS is the same as the previous NUC. (CSM / UEFI Legacy / UEFI )

Does it start booting Windows, but shows a Bluescreen error?

- What is the BSOD STOP code and the system file that caused the BSOD?

You are jumping up from a 5th gen to 6th gen chipset, so you need to install the latest intel Chipset Utility (for NUC6i5SYK) on the 5th gen NUC, before attempting to boot on the 6th gen NUC.

You may also need to update the Rapid Storage Driver (for NUC6i5SYK) and Display driver (for NUC6i5SYK) as well before moving the SSD to the new NUC.

• 2. Re: Disk from NUC5i5SYKH wont boot in NUC6i5SYK, why?
            Spanken

What I mean is that it won't find the boot files. You end up on a screen where it says that no boot media was found.

However I just found a solution for it. I don't know much details about UEFI. But it seems to "pari" the SSD with the BIOS or some hardware and based on this position the UEFI boot files on the disk. When you move the ssd over to another computer it might not be able to locate these boot files and won't recognize the disk as a bootable media.

So what I did was use boot-repair that did its magic and now the new computer knows where to find the boot files and the disk is recognized as bootable media :-D

• 3. Re: Disk from NUC5i5SYKH wont boot in NUC6i5SYK, why?
              Intel Corporation
              This message was posted by Intel Corporation on behalf of

Hi Spanken,

I am glad you were able to fix your boot issue. The new chipset was not recognizing your previous configuration.

Let me know if I can help you with anything else.

Regards,
              Mike C