3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 15, 2016 12:12 PM by Castillo@Avinext

BOXNUC6i3SYK gives black screen with realVNC remote session - two local displays present.

Castillo@Avinext

System is loaded with Win7 Pro 64 bit.

BIOS updated to version 0051.

Downloaded latest version of Intel HD Graphics Driver direct from intel site.

NUC was setup with two Samsung DC40E-M displays - one connected with an HDMI cable and the other with mini DisplayPort.

Client goes to remote into the machine via their realVNC client (5.3.2) and both Samsung displays go black.  Log out and you would think the displays come back but they do not come back on until the NUC is power cycled.  We have learned that if the Intel Graphics HD driver is disabled and only the generic windows driver is used that the displays work but the image is obviously larger than it should be as the correct driver is not installed.

• 1. Re: BOXNUC6i3SYK gives black screen with realVNC remote session - two local displays present.
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted by Intel Corporation on behalf of

Hello, Castillo@Avinext:

I have sent you a private message.

Regards,

Amy.

• 2. Re: BOXNUC6i3SYK gives black screen with realVNC remote session - two local displays present.
            rguevara

Hello Castillo@Avinext,

I can see in our records that you also have generated a ticket with our Contact Center.

We will keep you updated using the other case number (not this community) since we need more details and more testing and direct communication could be faster.

Thanks,

Ronny G

• 3. Re: BOXNUC6i3SYK gives black screen with realVNC remote session - two local displays present.
              Castillo@Avinext

To follow up for anyone else who might run into the issue...

Please try these recommendations

Lower machine hardware acceleration (this shouldn't impact machine performance,
              depending on the speed of the machine or the graphical intensity of the video)
              or you can enable a different update method, instead of the VNC Mirror
              Driver.

To lower the computer's hardware acceleration:
              Windows 7:
              Control Panel > Appearance and Personalization > Display > Change display settings > Advanced settings > Troubleshoot
              Option Greyed Out – Driver
              did not allow for this.

If this doesn't work, try playing with the update method settings. Set the Update Method parameter (in VNC Server options, Expert tab) from 2, to 1. If
              this doesn't work, try setting it to 0.
              No Update method parameter – update frequency was present but you could only change to 2 or 1. Default was 1 and it would not save any changes.

0 = Polling (Slower over low bandwidth, but will capture the entire
              framebuffer)
              1 = VNC Hooks (Fairly efficient "all-round" update method, but may
              miss certain GDI hooks in the framebuffer)
              2 = VNC Mirror Driver (Extremely fast/efficient capture method, but may miss
              certain video/3D related events).

* The VNC Mirror Driver should be in use where possible, to provide better
              performance.

* For times when a 3D application/video cannot be remoted, reverting to VNC
              Hooks will most likely provide updates, but the performance will be degraded.

Please let me know how it goes.

The solution which the client had said he tried but never really did…that resolved the situation is
              as follows…

Ally RealVNC:There are some cases with Windows 7 where the screen will blank out after the VNC session disconnects.

10:16Ally RealVNC:There's a workaround at the moment until we fix it in the next release

10:17Ally RealVNC:1. Navigate to HKLM/Software/RealVNC/vncserver in regedit. 2. Create a new string value called "_AgentArgs" (without quotes). 3. Set the value of this to "_ServerBlackScreenWorkAround=1" (without quotes). 4. Restart VNC Server if it's currently running.