11 Replies Latest reply on Oct 6, 2016 9:48 AM by Intel Corporation

Intel System Studio 2016...

Odesus

Dear Community:

I'd like to know if Intel System Studio 2016 for microcontrollers support programmers like J-LINK EDU.

In what way is different this methodology compared with  OSD kit with their 3 respective trees?

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Intel System Studio 2016...
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi Odesus,

Thank you for contacting us. We would like to let you know that we are now investigating this, we’ll get back to you once we have a better answer for this question. We really appreciate your patience.
          Regarding this other thread https://communities.intel.com/thread/106163, we will answer your question(s) in this one and will proceed to close the other one. This is to keep everything in one place for easier access, we hope you understand.

Regards,
          -Pablo

• 2. Re: Intel System Studio 2016...
            Armel

Hello Pablo,

I share Odesus' question, and I am looking forward to your answer!

Best regards,

Armel

• 3. Re: Intel System Studio 2016...
              Intel Corporation

Hi guys,

Thank you for your patience.
              We do not support ISSM (Eclipse) for Open Developer Kit (ODK) at the moment. 
              J-Link EDU has not been tested, however Flyswatter2 is what has been tested for flashing the board through JTAG.

Regards,
              -Pablo

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Intel System Studio 2016...
                Odesus

Hi Pablo,

Many thanks for your response.I have more questions. Imagine this panorama: I have purchase 1000 pieces of intel curie, pristine chips without any firmware in memory to release a product in market, with my own board with the same JTAG pinout of arduino101.

1.- Do Flyswatter2 have the capability of programming very high volume of chips?

2.- Using Intel System Studio 2016 for microcontrollers, Should a Bootloader will be flashed on Intel Curie? Or software will be written directly with no bootloader at all?

3.- Is it a must to have a bootloader to work with intel curie? Is there any other scheme?

4.- What programmer is using Intel System Studio 2016 for microcontrollers: Flyswatter? Is J-LINK  compatible? any other?

5.- Is it possible to flash bootloader in intel curie using OpenOCD with other programmers?

Thanks in advance for your time and assistance.

Regards,

Odesus

• 5. Re: Intel System Studio 2016...
                  Intel Corporation

Hi Odesus,

Let me investigate this a little bit more. I’m really sorry to keep you waiting so much on this, it’s just that I want to provide the best possible answer and don’t want to rush when looking for the information.

Regards,
                  -Pablo

• 6. Re: Intel System Studio 2016...
                    Odesus

Hi Pablo,

Take your time, Intel Curie is a new product so is understandable information is not available yet easily. By the way I'm going to test Intel System Studio with JLINK, I will give you my results soon.

Thanks in advance for your time and attentions.

Regards,

Odesus

• 7. Re: Intel System Studio 2016...
                      Odesus

Hi Again Pablo,

I have finally tested Intel Studio for microcontrollers and this doesn't work with any programmer. This was only designed for 2 boards: Intel quark 2000 and intel quark SE 1000. So this option was discarded. Lets see what information you can get about other questions. Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Odesus.

• 8. Re: Intel System Studio 2016...
                        Intel Corporation

Hi Odesus,

Thank you very much for sharing your test results! We really appreciate you taking the time to make these tests.
                        We are still investigating and working on the answers to your questions, as soon as I have updates I will let you know.

Regards,
                        -Pablo

• 9. Re: Intel System Studio 2016...
                          Intel Corporation

Hi Odesus,

Thank you very much for your patience.
                          Regarding your questions:

1. Flyswatter 2 can be used to program high volumes.
                          2. Currently there’s no ISSM support and a bootloader is necessary for the module. JTAG needs to be used to flash a new bootloader.
                          3. There’s need to be a bootloader to work with Intel Curie, there’s no other scheme.
                          4. There’s no ISSM support, so is up to the user to use the JTAG tool.
                          5. Tools compatible with OCD 0.8 will possibly work, however, we haven’t verified other brands.
                          Hope this answers your questions.

Regards,
                          -Pablo
                          • 10. Re: Intel System Studio 2016...
                            Odesus

Hi Pablo,

Many thanks for your responses, with these I can continue the work I'm developing.

Regards,

Omar.

• 11. Re: Intel System Studio 2016...
                              Intel Corporation

Hi Omar,

You’re more than welcome. Feel free to ask any other question you may have, we’ll be glad to help you.

Regards,
                              -Pablo