5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2016 8:06 AM by Intel Corporation

Win 10 x64 migration from dead PC to NUC6i5SYH

bjames

My old PC died (power supply fail - cannot boot) and I ordered a NUC6i5syh to replace it.  The old PC has Win10 x64 (home) installed on a 2.5" SSD.  The new NUC will arrive in a day or 2.

Any advice or 'educated guesses' on  the Win/license migration process?

Any chance I could move the SSD with Windows to the NUC and have it boot?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Win 10 x64 migration from dead PC to NUC6i5SYH
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted by Intel Corporation on behalf of

Hello, bjames:

Thank you for joining the Intel NUC Community.

"Any advice or 'educated guesses' on  the Win/license migration process?"

In regard to this question, I believe that getting in contact with Microsoft will be the best thing to do. You can try some solutions like this one http://www.groovypost.com/howto/transfer-windows-10-license-new-pc/, but I strongly recommend getting in contact with Microsoft first. See here for the forums Microsoft Community

"Any chance I could move the SSD with Windows to the NUC and have it boot?"

This will depend on the chipset model you had in the old PC, it might work but at same time you can end up reinstalling the operating system. I think that it's worth a try to plug the SSD and boot.

Regards,

Amy.

• 2. Re: Win 10 x64 migration from dead PC to NUC6i5SYH
            RoyceX

I have such experience, and maybe it could be helpful to you. My previous PC was sold to someone, and only the HDD and SSD are left, Win10 was installed and working in the SSD. When I install it on my NUC6i5SYH for the first time, the system could be booted and enter Win10 successfully, but unfortunately, the network card driver(no matter the ethernet one or WiFi one) could not work, and I did not have a spare PC to copy any driver into a usb drive, what I could do is switch on my iphone's hotspot and plug it in via USB as a modem to download all the drivers, which cost me alot on cellular data usage....

So my suggestion to you is to download all the drivers for your NUC on a USB drive, and wait for your new NUC to arrive.

• 3. Re: Win 10 x64 migration from dead PC to NUC6i5SYH
              K24A3

"Any advice or 'educated guesses' on  the Win/license migration process?"

If you purchased a retail version of Windows you may be able to transfer the license to the new PC.

However if the previous PC was a brand name with a preinstalled OEM version, I dont think you can transfer the license.

As mentioned, speak to Microsoft about the license.

"Any chance I could move the SSD with Windows to the NUC and have it boot?"

Depending on how different the previous PC was, you may run into Blue Screen errors or boot problems.

You should try to go into Safe Mode and remove all the drivers in Control Panel, then install the NUC drivers.

You could also try a Windows Refresh to reinstall the OS (but keep your files), but you will need to reinstall your software.

If it was me, I would just backup my files and do a completely fresh install to avoid problems.

• 4. Re: Win 10 x64 migration from dead PC to NUC6i5SYH
                Intel Corporation

Hello, All:

RoyceX and K24A3 thank you for your inputs, let's hope that they can help bjames.

Regards,

Amy.

• 5. Re: Win 10 x64 migration from dead PC to NUC6i5SYH
                  Intel Corporation

bjames,

I am following up your case, please let me know if any of the previous inputs helped to address your questions. 

Regards,

Amy