9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 14, 2016 2:49 PM by Intel Corporation

DX58SO2 will not boot, no video, keyboard or mouse.

MSMusa

DX58SO2 will not boot, no video, keyboard or mouse. Starts up with fans and CD working but reboots after 5-10 seconds. Will boot with SO0920P.bio via cd. Video, keyboard or mouse work and the bios is updated. Same issue on reboot; no video etc.. Tried removing power and battery overnight. Next day, same issue. Any ideas on getting motherboard to boot?

Mike

• 1. Re: DX58SO2 will not boot, no video, keyboard or mouse.
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello MSMusa:

In order to better assist you we just need to verify a few details:

Did it work fine before?

What is the model of the memory RAM you are using?

Did you test it without the SSD/Hard drive connected? We should get the BIOS or an error message.

Do you have the option to use a different SSD/Hard drive?

Did you test it with just one memory stick?

Did you restore the BIOS to defaults?

Do you have the option to test it using a different video port?

Did you test it with a different video cable?

Which Windows version are you using?

Any questions please let me know.

Alberto

• 2. Re: DX58SO2 will not boot, no video, keyboard or mouse.
            MSMusa

Did it work fine before?
            - Yes, last thing I did was turn on USB 3.0 in BIOS. Never rebooted after that.

What is the model of the memory RAM you are using?
            - Kingston, KVR1333D3N9K3/12GB

Did you test it without the SSD/Hard drive connected? We should get the BIOS or an error message.
            - Yes, with and without SSD and CDROM. No beeps, just random displays on the MB LCD. The last before it reboots is 2b. It just reboots over and over.

Do you have the option to use a different SSD/Hard drive?
            - Yes, both ssd and traditional hd.

Did you test it with just one memory stick?
            - Yes, tested with 1 and 3.

Did you restore the BIOS to defaults?
            - No, the only time the keyboard, mouse and display work is during CD BIOS recovery (SO0920P.bio). No option during that sequence to reset bios to defaults or make any other changes.

Do you have the option to test it using a different video port?
            - Yes, no difference.

Did you test it with a different video cable?
            - NA, but yes.

Which Windows version are you using?
            - Not relevant, should initialize the keyboard, mouse and display regardless of OS.

My best guess is that BIOS defaults are wrong and I can't change them or the bios chip has gone bad (didn't write the last changes correctly when I turned on USB 3.0.

Thanks, Mike

• 3. Re: DX58SO2 will not boot, no video, keyboard or mouse.
              Intel Corporation

Hello MSMusa:

Thank you very much for providing that information, it is very useful for us to further assist you.

And yes, as you mentioned above, it seems to be this is a problem with the BIOS and with the board itself, since you try a BIOS update already and the problem persists, then the next thing to do will be to replace the board, this problem does not seemed to be related to the processor, however, if you have the option for testing purposes to use it with a different processor, that will let us know for sure.

Another option, is to change the position of the jumper, that is covering 2 out of 3 pins, currently should be covering pins 1 and 2, that is the normal position, but we can change that to cover pins 2 and 3, that will set the board in maintenance mode, and we should be able to get in the BIOS that way, the keyboard and mouse should work in there.

So, the board has 3 years of warranty, if you have the proof of purchase of the board, and it shows it was purchased less than 3 years ago, we can replace it for you.

If you are interested in the replacement, please get in contact directly with us through chat, email, phone or online support, you just need to select motherboards on product type and you will get those options:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html#@12

Any questions, please let me know.

Alberto

• 4. Re: DX58SO2 will not boot, no video, keyboard or mouse.
                MSMusa

Since the DX58SO2 is of of production, would Intel have any of these boards available for purchase (perhaps set aside for warranty-my board is out of warranty)? Thanks, Mike

• 5. Re: DX58SO2 will not boot, no video, keyboard or mouse.
                  Intel Corporation

Hello MSMusa:

In regard to your inquiry, maybe our authorized distributors might have the board available, I do not want to give you false expectations, because it seems unlikely, but the best thing to do will be to check with them directly:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/resellers/where-to-buy/overview.html

Alberto

• 6. Re: DX58SO2 will not boot, no video, keyboard or mouse.
                    MSMusa

One last question, I have another identical board that died several years ago. Could you identify the BIOS chip on the DX58SO2 motherboard? It may be possible to move the chip from one board to the other. At this point I have nothing to lose by trying. Thanks, Mike

• 7. Re: DX58SO2 will not boot, no video, keyboard or mouse.
                      Intel Corporation

Hello MSMusa:

In regard to your question, the BIOS chip is soldered to the board, replacing it is a customization that was not tested by Intel, so, it is something that we do not recommend to do, however you can still try that in order to find out.

Since the BIOS chip was design to work with the specific hardware that came with the board, it is very unlikely that it will work, even though both boards are DX58SO2, but the only way to make sure will be by trying that procedure.

Alberto

• 8. Re: DX58SO2 will not boot, no video, keyboard or mouse.
                        N.Scott.Pearson

The SPI flash IC is labelled on the board as IU1/IIU1. It is an 8-pin IC.

...S

• 9. Re: DX58SO2 will not boot, no video, keyboard or mouse.
                          Intel Corporation

Hello:

Thank you very much to N. Scott Pearson for providing those details about the board.

To MSMusa:

I hope the above information was useful for you.

Alberto