8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 19, 2016 1:32 PM by Intel Corporation

Edison doesn't get any input from keyboard

Donald_Trump

Hello all,

I've flashed an image with Preempt-RT on my edison, and for few days everything worked fine. Then, I connected rx to tx and continued working on my edison when suddenly edison got stuck.

Since then for some reason edison shell won't accept any input from my keyboard. I've re-flashed it a lot of times, also to a standard image(non-preempt-rt) and removed the connection between rx to tx, but it still doesn't work.

I also cannot do a "factory reset" because I cannot type, and thus I cannot go into autoboot.

I've tried to connect both from Ubuntu(12.04 and 14.04) and Windows(7), and in all the cases there is no option to type anything.

I've also tried to switch the cables and use other ones, but nothing works.

Thanks for the help, Alla

Screenshot from 2016-09-06 10:11:09.png

• 1. Re: Edison doesn't get any input from keyboard
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi Alla,

I understand you’re having issues typing anything to your terminal. You also mention you’ve tried to factory reset the Edison but can’t type in the terminal. Since when does it become inactive, immediately after you connect the Edison using two USB cable or after you use the screen command? In Windows you said you also can’t type. When you connect the Edison to Putty do you see the boot logs and then it becomes inactive or is the terminal inactive immediately after you connect the Edison?

Specifically, what methods have you tried? There are two recommended methods to flash the Edison: the flashall script and the flash tool lite.
          You can see instructions to the flashall script here https://communities.intel.com/docs/DOC-25154 and for the Flash Tool Lite here https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/flash-tool-lite-user-manual .

First, let’s try the flashall script. If the process fails in one OS, try on another computer as well. If there are any error logs attach them to the thread for further inspection.

We’ll be waiting for your response.

-Sergio

• 2. Re: Edison doesn't get any input from keyboard
            Donald_Trump

Hello Sergio,

I've used Edison for some time, tried to compile a test file and then it got stuck and stopped receiving input. I've rebooted it (and the whole system) but it didn't help. Then I flashed dozens of times new image, and I believe it succeeded, but unfortunately Edison still refuses to get keyboard input.

When I connect Edison to Putty(or connecting to the device on Ubuntu), I see nothing because you need to press once or twice 'Enter' to get into the login area. But if I reboot it by pressing on the small white button 3 times, I get the screenshot I've added above.

I've flashed it manually(the way with the ~50 GB) after building my own image with PREEMPT_RT patch.

In addition I've flashed it with Ubuntu 12.04 and Ubuntu 14.04 with the flash script: flashall.sh (and I also did ./flashall --recovery)

In Windows 7 for some reason I couldn't flash it  with the script flashall.bat, it requested an xfstk library.

In Windows 7 I also tried to flash it with the flash-tool, but it didn't succeed. Every time the tool requested to connect the Edison, I've connected it, and my computer was seeing it, but the tool failed to see and then it just stopped due to timeout.

Currently the standard image is what I have on my Edison - There are no errors when I'm flashing it with Ubuntu with flashall.sh.

Thanks, Alla

• 3. Re: Edison doesn't get any input from keyboard
              Intel Corporation

Hi

Thank you for letting us know the results of your tests.

I’ve a couple of comments/questions:

-You mention you flashed the board manually, could you explain in more detail the process you used for this?

-You say the flashall.sh worked in Ubuntu, do you mean that just the flashing was successful or with this approach you’re able to get keyboard inputs as well?

-You also mention that at some point during the flashing the flashall requested an XFSTK library. There’s another option to flash the board using this method. You can see more information here https://communities.intel.com/thread/56133

-In the last part of your reply you say “There are no errors when I'm flashing it with Ubuntu with flashall.sh”. Are you able to get keyboard inputs at this point?

We’ll be waiting for your response.

-Sergio
              • 4. Re: Edison doesn't get any input from keyboard
                Donald_Trump

Hello Sergio, I'll reply to your questions:

-You mention you flashed the board manually, could you explain in more detail the process you used for this?

I followed this method: Re: PREEMPT_RT-enabled Linux Kernel 3.10.17 on Intel Edison

TLDR: I've build the image with bitbake, modified the kernel, build the image once again, and then flashed it to Edison.

-You say the flashall.sh worked in Ubuntu, do you mean that just the flashing was successful or with this approach you’re able to get keyboard inputs as well?

I wasn't able to get keyboard input after flashing. Yet I assume that the flashing was successful.

-You also mention that at some point during the flashing the flashall requested an XFSTK library. There’s another option to flash the board using this method. You can see more information here https://communities.intel.com/thread/56133

During the flashing on *Windows* the XFSTK library was requested and I couldn't install it.

On Ubuntu 14.04 I've installed xfstk library and flashed it with flashall.sh script.

I've seen the above thread you've mentioned, but I didn't need it, as I have Ubuntu 64-bit and I've succeeded to install xfstk on it and flash the image as well.

-In the last part of your reply you say “There are no errors when I'm flashing it with Ubuntu with flashall.sh”. Are you able to get keyboard inputs at this point?

Unfortunately no. I meant that I assume that the flashing was successful, but I still don't get any keyboard input.

I don't know why Edison refuses to get any keyboard input, but I think that it's not related to flashing.

Thanks, Alla

• 5. Re: Edison doesn't get any input from keyboard
                  Intel Corporation

Hi Alla,

Thank you for letting us know you’ve already tried the flashing methods and the results of each one. In Windows, which terminal emulator software are you using? Perhaps the issue is not with the Edison itself but with the configuration of the emulator. If you’re using Putty in windows, look carefully at the configuration options in the Categories section. If you want to try with Linux, download Putty or other terminal emulator and check if there’s a configuration setting blocking keyboard access to the Edison.

-Sergio

• 6. Re: Edison doesn't get any input from keyboard
                    Donald_Trump

Hello Sergio,

I was trying to use Putty in windows, but I don't think it's an issue of Putty because in Ubuntu the Screen option(sudo screen /dev/ttyUSB0 115200) is not working as well.

I've tried to change all kind of configuration in Putty but It didn't help.

I believe I have the exact same problem as described in this thread: Serial communications not working

But unfortunately his solution was to buy a new Edison.

I've managed to connect to Edison via Ethernet as written in this manual: IoT - Connecting to your Intel® Edison board using Ethernet over USB | Intel® Software

now it looks like that:

Screenshot from 2016-09-15 15:39:00.png

But unfortunately there are few problems with this connection:

It disconnects every 2 minutes and I cannot go into the boot section.

I am not sure what else can I do to make it work with the serial connection. Do you have any suggestion?

Thanks, Alla

• 7. Re: Edison doesn't get any input from keyboard
                      Intel Corporation

We’ll do some research to see if we can find a useful suggestion to your problem. We’ll contact you when we have more information.

-Sergio

• 8. Re: Edison doesn't get any input from keyboard
                        Intel Corporation

Hi Alla,

We’d like to take a closer look at your case. Please fill this form https://customercare.intel.com/?lang=en-US and briefly describe your issue. We’ll be waiting for your response.

-Sergio