8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 20, 2016 6:14 AM by Intel Corporation

NUC6i7KYK, MONITOR, Video Editing

Considering

I was waiting to consider an iMac or a Mac mini, but when I saw the Skull Canyon I flipped.

So some questions:
      NUC6i7KYK  - i7 6770HQ

BUT I  STILL HAVE SOME SERIOUS QUESTIONS

While this blasts the iMac out of the water, can the slower CPU still do the work?

A) Can this NUC do Photoshop and video rendering with Blender or Abobe Premier Elements? Or will I be taxing it too much?

B) Has Intel fixed the monitor flicker issues?  This is a big issue ... ( CLICK HERE )

C) Can it edit 4K?  This is critical.

D) I tend to leave my puter on 24/7 and let it play YouTube all night.    Will that burn out the puter?

E)  Heat issues. ...?

If I set the

Duty-Inc = (100 - Min-Duty) / (80 - Min-Temp)

(100 - 25)/(75-50) = 75/25 = 3

Where the minimum fan duty is 25% until 50 degree with an increment of 3% per degree afterwards until 75 degrees .... 

WILL THAT BE OKAY?!  Or will I burn out the nuc because I do not start increasing the min duty until 50 degrees?

F) Where in the bios do I even make this fan setting?

Finally, for those - not the Intel guys - who own this ....  HOW LOUD IS THIS NUC?

G) Is it quiet, or does it roar like a Gigabyte Brix jet engine.  If it  like a Brix, I ain't buying it.

H) Would 2400 RAM help - be faster?' 2800 RAM?

I) Have the driver issues been resolved?  Read a lot of threads, and some people had problems with 4K @ 60Hz,

These questions may determine if I go with the Skull Canyon or not.

Formerly, I was thinking of finally changing to Apple, but they insult everyone with soldered RAM and

impossibly difficult to repair computers.

======== BY THE WAY .....  A COMPARISON TO AN Mac mini ================

comparison.png

THE SKULL CANYON LOOKS LIKE A MAC-MINI ON SERIOUS STEROIDS and for far less

money when comparably equipped.

But if the monitor issue is not fixed ....  ( CLICK HERE ) .... I will have to wait until the NUC is updated.

=====================================

However, can it handle video editing without too much heat and without noise?

So here is what I am thinking if  I go with the Skull Canyon:

I am thinking about getting a 512 GB and a second 256 GB PCie and adding 32GB to the NUC.

NO RAID.  Rather, I want distinct drives.

In theory - just theory - could the smaller storage be made into a Hackintosh area?

If I get this, it would be my main puter ... constantly on for years either streaming, or being used.

I leave my computer on for weeks at a time, mostly streaming YouTube.

So I need to know if this puter can hold up.   Would it melt?

• 1. Re: NUC6i7KYK, MONITOR, Video Editing
          K24A3

I've only had mine for a couple of weeks but..

a) It is a decent CPU, close to the performance of my Desktop Haswell i7 4770. Plenty of power, faster than 95% of notebooks out there.

b) [not sure]

c) I havent tried 4K editing but playing a 4K youtube video on a near 4K monitor was silky smooth. I dont think you will have a problem editing 4K.

d) I've left mine on for 24 hours straight encoding H.264 video and it was fine.

e) I dont play games on it but encoding and video playback doesn't overheat the system. It stays around 60c-70c.

f) I believe it is under Advanced->power management (would need to double check).

g) It has reasonable size fan so it wont whine at high pitch like 12" notebooks. Even when its running 100% it's not really that loud.

h) I dont think faster RAM would make any noticeable difference unless you run a RAM benchtest.

i) [not sure] Haven't had any BSOD's so far.

• 2. Re: NUC6i7KYK, MONITOR, Video Editing
            Considering

Thanks for your help.

I see that you have had problems with the NUC and LAVfitlers

NUC6i7KYK freezes during Video playback

What was the cause?  Were they finally fixed?  This is what scares me.

My goal is video editting on one 4K monitor .... possibly two later on.  Or (1) 3440 x 1440 Ultrawide.

But a lot of flicker problems, by more than one person, seem to be mentioned on other threads.  I do not know if this is a driver problem or what?!

NUC6i7KYK Dual Display Port display issues - black flickering

It would be easy to say  NUC 6i7KYK is bad, but it seems to do so much well that I have to wonder if the problem is drivers.

How many of these units has Intel sold?  If thousands, the complainants are a small minority. If only a few hundred, the complaints are a considerable percentage?

I really like this, but there seems to be problems.

• 3. Re: NUC6i7KYK, MONITOR, Video Editing
              K24A3

I haven't noticed any flickering on my 3440 x 1440 Ultrawide monitor, or my 1080p monitor.

I'm still trying to determine what is causing the freezing. I think it might be DirectX9c (June2010) or something else I have yet to install.

• 4. Re: NUC6i7KYK, MONITOR, Video Editing
                Considering

Thanks!

I read your thread and I think they gave you a new model.

Are you using your Skull Canyon for rendering video still?

Have you run two monitors at once.  I am not talking Daisy Chaining.

Would you still recommend it?

One reason this is a big thing with me.  I am physically challenged.  Power Desktops often weight 20-30 lbs.  I cannot pick them up easily to run wires.  This would get rid of that problem as I could easily lift a less than 2 pound PC.

I plan to do some video editing.

• 5. Re: NUC6i7KYK, MONITOR, Video Editing
                  K24A3

I am using it to render and encode video at the same time, it can handle both simultaneously with no slow downs at 3440 x 1440, unlike my previous machine (Ivy bridge HD4000 notebook) which can't even play video smooth at 3440 x 1440.

I only use one monitor at a time, haven't tried two at once.

As with any new product, it has glitches for the first year. I'm sure Intel will fix the main issues eventually with BIOS/Driver updates.

Despite the freezing issue I'm facing, I would still recommend it for video and HTPC and occasional gaming at medium detail settings.

• 6. Re: NUC6i7KYK, MONITOR, Video Editing
                    Intel Corporation
                    This message was posted by Intel Corporation on behalf of

Hello, All:

K24A3, thank you for your inputs, let'e hope that this can help @Considering.

Regards,
                    Amy.

• 7. Re: NUC6i7KYK, MONITOR, Video Editing
                      OEFVet

A) Can this NUC do Photoshop and video rendering with Blender or Abobe Premier Elements? Or will I be taxing it too much?

Yes, but I noticed if you enable graphics performance in Lightroom it actually slows down. I leave that graphics optimization off in the Adobe products.

B) Has Intel fixed the monitor flicker issues?  This is a big issue ... ( CLICK HERE )

No

C) Can it edit 4K?  This is critical.

Not much space on RAID0 m.2 for 4k.

D) I tend to leave my puter on 24/7 and let it play YouTube all night.    Will that burn out the puter?

No

E)  Heat issues. ...?

No

F) Where in the bios do I even make this fan setting?

You'll find it; its very clear in the bios

G) Is it quiet, or does it roar like a Gigabyte Brix jet engine.  If it  like a Brix, I ain't buying it.

It is quiet

H) Would 2400 RAM help - be faster?' 2800 RAM?

Get anything except HyperX; it doesnt play nice with HyperX. That G.skills stuff looks good

I) Have the driver issues been resolved?  Read a lot of threads, and some people had problems with 4K @ 60Hz,

No

• 8. Re: NUC6i7KYK, MONITOR, Video Editing
                        Intel Corporation
                        This message was posted by Intel Corporation on behalf of

Hello, OEFVet:

Thank you for your input, I am pretty sure that your input will other users.

Considering, if you need further assistance let us know.

Regards,

Amy.