Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14591 Discussions

I7 6700HQ overheating?

NNick
Beginner

Dear readers,

Last week i got my new laptop, I choose the components myself and its build in a clevo chassis. It's running an I7-6700HQ and 960m, and I think that the I7 is overheating.

When i was playing the Battlefield 1 beta, temperatures on the core hit 96 degrees celsius, while only under 60% load. The boost clock was still at 3.0GHz.

Today I used my laptop for school and I ran a program called solidworks, during this program the cpu was under a load of 30-40% and the 960m wasn't in use. In this situation, the cpu hit 99 degrees while running on 3.2GHz, I think that this is way too hot since the max temperature of a 6700HQ is 100 degrees. I contacted the company which i bought it from, and they said that it was perfectly normal, i dont agree with this. What do you think? I even ordered better cooling paste with this laptop and they said that the temperature with this paste would be around 6 degrees lower. I actually expected maximum temperatures of 85 degrees.

I hope someone can help me,

Thanks,

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Employee

A mobile processor can handle temperatures up to 100C. You will experience overheating issues if the temperature goes higher than that. The processor will shut itself down to prevent any damage to your computer or it will start freezing or locking up the computer.

A good practice will be adding new thermal material. Please check some troubleshooting tips linked below:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/processors/000005776.html http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/processors/000005776.html

Allan.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Were you able to check the link I have placed on my previous interaction?

Allan.
0 Kudos
NNick
Beginner

Sorry for the late reply!

There is nothing behind the laptop, it should have great airflow. Also both fans are working normally.

I'm unable to repaste the cpu myself, should i sent the notebook back?

Kind Regards

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you for the feedback.

At this stage, since this is a laptop computer, the best option will be contacting your computer manufacturer to get information about the warranty on this computer.

Allan.
0 Kudos