5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 9, 2016 12:11 PM by Intel Corporation

Can't access bios

Raketkirurgen

I have a D5420WYKH, with Win 10 and I can't seem to access bios in anyway (fast boot is probably enabled, usb not enabled).

Tried so far:

* F2 @ start up: doesn't work, sends me into windows

* Holding down power button for the power button menu: doesn't work, sends me into windows

* Clearing cmos by removing the battery and then F2: doesn't work, sends me into windows. But the clock was wrong, therefor the cmos should been cleared?

* Successfully updating the bios and then F2: doesn't work sends me straight into windows

* Successfully doing the bios recovery with usb drive and removing the jumper and then F2: doesn't work sends me into windows

* Removed boot drive: displays "no boot drive" no options or other possibilities to enter bios or other menu.

* Using the windows 10 startup settings to access some other menu. Keyboard or mouse doesn't work.

Does anyone have a suggestion on what to try next?, the nuc works perfectly otherwise.

• 1. Re: Can't access bios
          lw1948

Hi Raketkirurgen

Try this:

1. Click on Windows icon

2. Click on Power icon

3. Shift + Restart

4. Troubleshoot

5. Advanced options

6. UEFI Firmware Settings

• 2. Re: Can't access bios
            Raketkirurgen

Hi lw1948

Already tried that, i don't have "UEFI Firmware Settings" as an option in the windows 10 startup settings

The only other option than several reinstall or restore backup options (and command prompt) is one called "system start" where it restarts the unit and a windows menu with secure boot options appear but neither mouse nor keyboard works there.

• 3. Re: Can't access bios
              Intel Corporation
              This message was posted by Intel Corporation on behalf of

Hello Raketkirurgen:

At this point basically you already tried all the possible troubleshoot steps to access the BIOS.

Were you able to access the BIOS before?

Did you test it with different keyboard?

The problem could be related to the NUC itself, and remember that the NUC has 3 years of warranty, so, a replacement might be needed.

If you are interested in the replacement, you can always check with the place of purchase, or you can get in contact directly with us through chat, email, phone or online support, you just need to select NUC on product type and you will get those options:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html#@12

Any questions, please let me know.

Alberto

• 4. Re: Can't access bios
                Raketkirurgen

Hi Alberto   

I've been told that BIOS was accessible earlier and a different keyboard didn't change the results from my tests.

This is currently the only computer i have, is the warranty 3 years from purchasing date? I was planing to get a new one in a couple of months.

Is there any other way than a F* button at start up or power button menu, to change the boot order?

I can live with out bios access for a couple of months if i can change the boot order.

• 5. Re: Can't access bios
                  Intel Corporation
                  This message was posted by Intel Corporation on behalf of

Hello Raketkirurgen:

Thank you very much for providing those details.

Yes, the 3 year warranty starts from the date that is showing on the proof of purchase, if you do not have it, then it will start form the date it was manufactured, which was on the 4h quarter of 2013.

In regard to your second question, there is no option besides the F2 key or power key to access the BIOS, let me apologize for that.

Any questions, please let me know.

Alberto