7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 31, 2016 10:33 AM by Intel Corporation

intel 600p M.2 ssd

refora

hi i just bought 600p 256GB

i wonder to know if i can use intel data migration software to transfer my OS data on intel 530 SSD to 600p?

many thanks

• 1. Re: intel 600p M.2 ssd
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

refora,

Unfortunately this procedure would not be the appropriate one for your specific scenario as during the cloning process, the NVMe* drivers needed for the Intel® SSD 600P Series will not be installed causing the drive not to boot. In this case, a clean installation of the OS would be the best option, and then, once you have clean installed the OS, you can proceed to copying the relevant information from one drive to the other.

Best regards,
          Aleki

• 2. Re: intel 600p M.2 ssd
            refora

thank you for answering, Aleki

1,i need to clean install Windows on Intel 600P

2,boot in Windows on my old Intel 530 SSD

3,then i can use Intel data migration software from 530 to 600P

please tell me is that correct or not?

thank you

• 3. Re: intel 600p M.2 ssd
              Intel Corporation

refora,

Once you have clean installed Windows* to your new SSD, all you have to do is to transfer all relevant information and for that, there is no reason to use the the Intel® Data Migration Software for that. If you use the tool, the OS will be over written and you may experience the situation we have previously informed. You can use the data transferring tool that best suit your need. Let us know if you have any more doubts.

Best regards,
              Aleki

• 4. Re: intel 600p M.2 ssd
                refora

thank you for reply!

i made a clean install for windows 10 today and everything went well! thanks

only one thing i still have some concerns, the temperture

on my previous ssd Intel 530 series, idle temperture usually around 35

but the idle temperture of this Intel 600p is around 45-47

in copy files from my usb drives to 600p the temperture up to alomost 70...

i wonder to know will the high temperture hurt the ssd or have higher risk to lost my files in it?

i only know high temperture is bad thing to computer parts

would it be safe if i put a thermal conductivity such like thermal pad or compound on the controller?

to reduce the temperture?

thank you

• 5. Re: intel 600p M.2 ssd
                  Intel Corporation

refora,

We are glad to know that after a clean installation all is as expected. Thank you for taking your time to let us know this. Regarding the temperature, according to official documentation: Intel® SSD 600p Series  the operating temperature range is from 0°C to 70°C so yours is within this range. 

Please let us know if there is anything else we can do to assist you.

Best regards,
                  Aleki

• 6. Re: intel 600p M.2 ssd
                    tf71

Hi there, which OS you are talking about?
                    As far as I know, NVMe is supported by WIN 10, so why I have to install a driver?
                    Btw. I think, there is no dedicated driver for the 600p provided by intel right now.

My 600p will be delivered by within the next week, so I hope you will update the intel toolbox until then...

Best regards,

Thilo

• 7. Re: intel 600p M.2 ssd
                      Intel Corporation

Hello tf71,

You're correct, the Intel® SSD 600p Series does use the inbox drivers already provided with the operating system.

However, when you install an OS on an NVMe* drive, different uEFI drivers are implemented (automatically). If you clone a SATA drive into an NVMe* SSD, the process may complete successfully, but Windows® will not boot due to this.

This is only relevant for cloning procedures. Which is why we recommend a clean installation and then transferring your files instead.

Best regards,
                      Carlos A.