4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 5, 2016 1:25 PM by Intel Corporation

Edison fried?

Thomas Kirven

I plugged my Edison into an 11.1v, 3 cell Lipo battery on J21 and bad things happened. I accidentally had the ground wire from the Edison plugged in parallel to the serial clock line (GND and SCL are right next to each other on the IMU I was using ) and the wire from SCL melted and caught fire. Edison seems pretty dead, and doesn't turn on when plugged in. Does the Edison not have a protection against this type of thing?

And is there anything that can be done about this? I know it's a long shot but just thought I'd check.

Thanks,

Thomas

• 1. Re: Edison fried?
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi Thomas,

We are very sorry to hear that, unfortunately, this is costumer induced damage and regretfully it is not covered under Intel's One Year Limited Warranty.

For further information about Intel's Warranty please visit the following link: http://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/edison/sb/edison_regflyer_h47948003.pdf

Sadly, we won't be able to help you with this issue.

Regards,
          -Leonardo

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Edison fried?
            Thomas Kirven

Ok that is what I figured. Do you know if it is even safe to plug in an 11.1v battery to the j21 connecter. It seems misplacement of the edison ground wire (J19-13) shouldn't have caused such drastic damage since the current from the gpios should be limited, or should it have? Any how I purchased another and am back in action. I want to be able to safely power the new Edison with this battery, but now I am very hesitant to.

Thanks,

Thomas

• 3. Re: Edison fried?
              Thomas Kirven

Turns out the module is actually ok, the breakout board is what got damaged. I ordered another Edison with mini breakout and attached the old module to the breakout and it started right up!

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Edison fried?
                Intel Corporation
                This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi Thomas,

That's an excellent notice, it's good to hear that, I think that the regulator of the breakout board got damaged so you couldn't power your Edison

About powering the Edison with the J21 pin with the 11.1 V battery is fine because it is the main power supply and you can apply 7 to 15 VDC (Look the Hardware Guide), so don't be afraid to do it. Never connect the other power inputs at the same time (VIN pin (J17 – pin 4) or the Barrel Jack) because the board can be damaged permanently.

Thank you for remaining so positive.

Regards,
                -Leonardo