Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14402 Discussions

System freezing when CPU usage is high

ddust2
Beginner

Hello all,

I've been having an issue with frequent freezing recently, requiring a hard reboot. It appears to occur whenever my CPU usage gets too high.

Here are my specs:

Gigabyte GA-Z170N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard

Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor

ADATA 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 PC4-24000 3000 MHz Memory

GTX 980 TI Video Card

EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 Power Supply

Windows 10

I've had a moderate overclock (4.4ghz @ 1.3v) running stable for 6 months. With no changes to BIOS or no new programs installed, I started to have some random freezing and reboots.

Here is what I've tried so far that hasn't helped:

-Replaced power supply

-Disconnected GPU, system still froze w/o it

-Set BIOS to optimized defaults

-Set vCore in BIOS to 1.25v and frequency to 3.5ghz

-Set memory speed and voltage in BIOS to recommended values

-Set memory timing in BIOS

-Ran computer only with each individual memory stick

-Ran memtest86 on each memory stick, completed multiple passes with no issues

-Updated BIOS to latest version

-Ran Windows in safe mode

-Tried Windows start up repair

-Uninstalled all Windows updates since freezing started

-Ran virus and malware checks

-Ran a system file check

The only repeatable action I can do to guarantee freezing is to run some type of CPU stress test. If I run Prime95 it freezes immediately, even in safe mode. Running the intel processor diagnostic tool, my computer freezes right after it gets to the CPU load test, but passes every test before that. Monitoring my temperatures, no core gets over 75C before the system freezes.

All of these observations are leading me to believe that my i5 6600k is the culprit here, but any advice of guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

0 Kudos
10 Replies
ssote
New Contributor II

Does your PC freeze at stock clock, also set your memory to stock 2133 Speed and test. I would purchase the Intel performance tuning plan http://click.intel.com/tuningplan/purchase-a-plan Purchase A Plan

0 Kudos
ddust2
Beginner

Hi, thanks for the response. Yes, it freezes at stock clock (if it even starts. most of the time if I use stock settings, I can't boot into windows, the machine just keeps restarting itself). Memory has always been set to 2133. What is the Intel performance tuning plan?

I've thoroughly adjusted my clock and memory speeds with no luck, no configuration stops of the freezing. Changing voltages makes it more likely to start however.

0 Kudos
ssote
New Contributor II

dport wrote:

Hi, thanks for the response. Yes, it freezes at stock clock (if it even starts. most of the time if I use stock settings, I can't boot into windows, the machine just keeps restarting itself). Memory has always been set to 2133. What is the Intel performance tuning plan?

I've thoroughly adjusted my clock and memory speeds with no luck, no configuration stops of the freezing. Changing voltages makes it more likely to start however.

The Intel performance tuning plan covers you if you overclock your CPU you can RMA the CPU. Here is the link https://click.intel.com/tuningplan/ Home Page

Did you try setting your motherboard to default? If you have sounds like you have a defective CPU or motherboard.

0 Kudos
ddust2
Beginner

Cool, that plan might be what I resort to.

I've tried setting my motherboard to use defaults, but most of the time, the computer isn't able to boot into windows then, I have to manually set the CPU voltage to 1.3v. I didn't this problem when I received all of my components new, I would use the motherboard's defaults with no issues.

I'm going to try to do a clean install of Windows on a new drive to see if that fixes anything as well. Not sure how to test if this is the motherboard or CPU though. Have never had any freezing while in BIOS, so I was thinking my motherboard might be OK

0 Kudos
ssote
New Contributor II

I would say if your not having a problem in Bios, I would try the RMA CPU first after you test everything else out.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Dport,

Could you please load default settings to test your system with the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool, to verify the functionality of your processor? The diagnostic checks for brand identification, verifies the processor operating frequency, tests specific processor features, and performs a stress test on the processor. Please attach the results to your answer.

Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool

After that, please let me investigate what I could do for you from this point.

Regards,

Hellen.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi,

I would like to know if you need further assistance on this.

Regards,

Hellen.

0 Kudos
ddust2
Beginner

Hi, I returned my CPU for a new one and that fixed the problem. Thanks

0 Kudos
ssote
New Contributor II

I'm glad returning your CPU for new one fixed the problem.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Dport,

If there is something else you need, do not hesitate to contact us back.

Regards,

Hellen.

0 Kudos