Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20624 Discussions

Display trashed Intel HD 4600 NVidia GTX 850M Windows 10 multiple monitors

idata
Employee

After updating to Windows 10 Anniversary Update, my screen sometimes fills with trash that flickers several times a second--see attached video. I have not been able to determine what causes it. The sample might imply that it only affects Windows Explorer, but that is not the case, only what happened this time. It can affect any part of the screen including the desktop or any application. Forcing a refresh by moving or sizing the window usually "fixes" the problem but not always.

Category

Questions

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue

After updating to Windows 10 Anniversary Update, my screen sometimes fills with trash that flickers several times a second--see attached video. I have not been able to determine what causes it. The sample might imply that it only affects Windows Explorer, but that is not the case, only what happened this time. It can affect any part of the screen including the desktop or any application. Forcing a refresh by moving or sizing the window usually "fixes" the problem but not always.

Please place an X to the right of the option showing how often you see this issue using specific steps. (Ex: 'Every few times a game is started it flickers.' <- This would be "Often")<p> 

Always (100%):

Often (51-99%):

Sporadic (20-50%):

Very Sporadic (<20%): X

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system.

ASUS N550JK

Hybrid or switchable graphics system?

ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?

yes, nvidia

Make and model of any Displays that are used to see the issue (see note2 below). 

LFP = Local Flat Panel (Laptop panel)

<span style="font-style...
0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello, dtowell:

I noticed that you have an older Intel® HD Graphics driver installed, let's try updating it first, see here for the download https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26079/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-15-40-4th-Gen-?product=81496 Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows® 10 [15.40][4th Gen], use this method for the installation http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005629.html How to Manually Install an Intel® Graphics Driver in Windows® 10 &...

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, dtowell:

Were you able to install the driver mentioned above?

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Yes, I was finally able to install new drivers. All the instructions insisted that the automatic method would work, but clearly they did not. A manual install was required and tedious.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Yes, in this case the manual installation was the best method. Now, I just want to know; was the flickering issue resolved?

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos