5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 7, 2016 12:51 PM by Intel Corporation

Can't seem to get joule to boot off of usb or sd

bblumberg

I am trying to upgrade to the latest version of the reference linux and following the directions as best I understand them to change the boot order (and I have verified that the boot order has been changed), I have had no luck in getting the joule to boot off of either the USB or SD.  It has the bios that it came with when I bought it.

Any guidance would be appreciated. A fine answer is: 'there is no need to update to the latest version'.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Can't seem to get joule to boot off of usb or sd
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello bblumberg,

I'll try to help you with this. Could you please let us know the steps you have taken so far when trying to flash your board?

Were you following (or were you aware of) the guides below?

https://software.intel.com/en-us/flashing-ostro-on-joule
          https://software.intel.com/en-us/node/675518
          https://software.intel.com/en-us/flashing-the-bios-on-joule

In case you are using a USB 3.0 port to flash your board, could you please try with a USB 2.0 port? Does it make any difference?

-Peter.

• 2. Re: Can't seem to get joule to boot off of usb or sd
            bblumberg

Hi

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I was following the guides mentioned in your reply. I did have to use an external keyboard to get into the setup (as mentioned in an earlier post by someone). It saw the sd disk (because that was listed as an option) but I couldn't get it to boot from it (I created the image in Linux both manually and using the config tool with the same results.) When I tried booting off of an USB key I used the Type A USB port. Should I try the Type C port instead?

bb

• 3. Re: Can't seem to get joule to boot off of usb or sd
              Intel Corporation

No, you were correct to use the Micro USB Type B port (as mentioned in https://software.intel.com/en-us/node/674484). Please make sure you are using a Micro USB Type B cable, not the Type C USB cable that comes with the development platform.

When you were creating a bootable Micro SD or USB drive and you were running the configuration tool, did you have any issues, or did you notice any strange behavior? Or was everything successful without any issues? Did the same happen on the manual procedure? Also, it would be helpful to know the SD card/USB drive you are using, or if using another SD card/USB drive prevents this behavior.

You could try to format your SD card/USB drive and make it bootable again, you might encounter different results. Could you please try this?

-Peter.

• 4. Re: Can't seem to get joule to boot off of usb or sd
                bblumberg

Silly me...

1. The problem with booting from the sd card was that I was using the compressed disk image (ostro-xt-image-swupd-intel-corei7-64.dsk.xz) and not the decompressed image (ostro-xt-image-swupd-intel-corei7-64.dsk). On my linux system (Ubuntu 14.04) the configuration tool did not recognize my sd card so I had to do the manual process. The instructions for the manual process do include a  troubleshooting note warning to be sure to decompress first, but the screen shots all show using the compressed disk image. Once I used the decompressed image everything worked as expected. But the screen shots probably should be corrected because I am probably not the only one whose eyes are drawn to screen shots.

2. For what it is worth, I was unable to boot from a USB key even when I had the correct image (the configuration tool did work in this case though). I could believe that in the case of the USB key, it was complicated by the fact that the only way to get into the boot configuration screen was to use an external keyboard.

Anyway, case closed as far as I am concerned. Thanks for your help.

• 5. Re: Can't seem to get joule to boot off of usb or sd
                  Intel Corporation

I'm glad to hear that you were able to boot your board from the SD Card. If you ever have any other doubts, please don't hesitate to come back to the community, we'll be more than glad to help you in any way we can.

-Peter.