5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 8, 2016 1:53 PM by Intel Corporation

Intel Chipset Driver setup cuts network connection (just for a second)

W4V3R

Hi,

i am managing a software and database for automated driver installation in the company i work for and i ran into a problem with the installation of the Intel chipset driver.

The tool that i am using identifies the hardware and installs all drivers needed for the system fully automated and all the needed drivers are stored on a networkdrive.

While chipset driver installation, the network connection seems to get restarted.

Sadly my driver install software stops to work once the network was disconnected (even when its reconnected and the networkdrive is available again).

To get through with the driver installation we have to restart the tool and uncheck the chipset driver and that slows down the workflow.

I run ito that poblem from time to time (since several years now), sometimes it seems that i have found a fix,  but then it happens again.

This didnt happen with the old chipset driver (10.0.27) but i dont have any idea why.

I was pretty sure preinstalling the chipset driver into the windows image solves the problem but (at least this time) i was wrong.

Is there any workaround for this problem?

I am using the -s and -norestart switch for the setup.

The problem occurs with Win7 and Win10 (Win8.1 not tested).

Thanks in advance for any help.

• 1. Re: Intel Chipset Driver setup cuts network connection (just for a second)
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello W4V3R:

In order to better assist you we just need to verify a few details:

By any chance do you know the model of the chipset?

What is the model of the motherboard?

What is the model of the processor?

If this is a laptop, what is the model of the laptop?

You mentioned you test it with Windows® 7 and 10, which is the Windows version you are using currently?

Any questions, please let me know.

Alberto

• 2. Re: Intel Chipset Driver setup cuts network connection (just for a second)
            W4V3R

Hello Alberto,

we build about 50-80 intel systems per day, the Windows versions (7/10) usually have the latest updates installed via WSUS.

This problem occurs mainly on actual systems (Z170/H170), we rarely build systems with older hardware.

In theorie it might be normal that the network connection gets restarted while the driver installation since the network chip ist part of the chipset.

After i had this problem the first time, i just expanded the "SetupChipset.exe" (SetupChipset.exe /extractmup) and used these files to preinstall the drivers into my Windows base images.

That seemed to work until now. With driver version 10.1.1.14 this doesnt work anymore (also noticed that the extracted files in 10.1.1.14 are much different from 10.0.27).

This still might work, because in my tests i noticed after the CS driver was installed manually, our driver installation tool ran fine without error.

I think in that scenario the setup programm noticed that the CS driver was allready installed and skipped installation (incl. network reconnect).

Something might be different with the files i use to preinstall into the images.

But on the other hand, some parts of the chipset driver are installed cause i have much less unknown devices in the device manager.

Only one unknown device left that must be RST or MEI.

If it is of any use, here are the logfiles of the CS setup (used on a CS preinstalled Windows image).

CS_Install_Log - Pastebin.com

and

log_0_SetupChipsetx64.msi - Pastebin.com

• 3. Re: Intel Chipset Driver setup cuts network connection (just for a second)
              Intel Corporation

Hello W4V3R:

Just to let you know, the driver installation that was tested by Intel is the one that is called stand alone installation, that is when you install the drivers after the Windows installation was completed, or when you install the drivers manually.

When you try to install the drivers on an image, that is called silent installation, based on the information above, and due to the fact we do not have a specific documentation available on this matter, what we can recommend is to slip stream the INF drivers.

To do that you can always use the following link:

http://www.nliteos.com/

Alberto

• 4. Re: Intel Chipset Driver setup cuts network connection (just for a second)
                W4V3R

Hi Alberto,

that is what i did, just without a 3rd party program. When i create Windows images for OEM use i can´t use 3rd party programs.

So i did it manualy with the Microsoft tool Dism.exe and as far as i know, any 3rd party tool like the one you mentioned do it the same way.

Somewhere in the backround those 3rd party tools are using the same dism.exe commands like "dism /image:<ImagePath> /Add-Driver /forceunsigned /Driver:<DriverPath> /Recurse" for "slipstreaming" the driver.

In principle using the stand alone installation or using the slipstream the INF drivers should be the same (aka should install the same drivers), but there seem to be a slight difference.

(Our tool does stand allone driver installation from within Windows)

1. When i start our Tool on a (driverwise) clean base image, the chipset driver get installed but i get the error from our tool (because of the LAN reconnect).

2. When i then start our tool again it seem to install the chipset driver again (overwrite previous installed CS driver) i dont get the error and the tool proceed installing other drivers (like MEI,RST, sound, grafic...).

3. Wich for me looks like that the previous installed CS driver does not get overwriten, setup just notice the prev driver and skips the 2nd installation.

That led me to the speculation that slipstreaming the INF driver into the image would do the trick for me.

But when i start our tool from inside a slipstreamed Windows and start the CS driver installation the CS setup behaves like explained in 1. while it should behave like explained in 2.

If i could provide you logs from all 3 different driver installations, would it be possible for you to find what the difference between the 3 of them is?

Maybe that can help solve the problem.

I am aware that the problem is based inside our tool (not in your drivers) and that we should solve it by fixing the code of the tool but as it happens in large companys, people come and go as did the guy who wrote it.

Since the tool is very old the code has evolved over the years, an "outsider" often creates more errors than solving when editing part of the code. ;-)

And besides of that one issue the tool still does a great job.

Many thanks so far for your help.

• 5. Re: Intel Chipset Driver setup cuts network connection (just for a second)
                  Intel Corporation

Hello W4V3R:

Thank you very much for providing all those details.

No problem, you can use any type of tool that works best for you, the Nlite tool was just a recommendation.

In regard to your request about providing our logs from all 3 different driver installations, let me apologize for this, but that option is not available for us, and the reason for that, is because the way that we support a driver installation is by using the stand alone method, and we actually do not have a document of how to install the drivers using the slipstreaming.

Once again let me apologize for this and for an type of inconvenience.

Alberto