7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 7, 2016 2:56 PM by Intel Corporation

Booting to different devices on a NUC5i5RYK

kdegraa

Hi,

I'm trying to install Windows 10 on a NUC, actually two of them. I'm attempting to install Windows from a USB stick that has the Windows 10 ISO installed. This USB setup works fine on a Dell computer.

The issue is as follows:

1. It is impossible to boot to a USB stick unless all other bootable devices are disabled or missing. The instructions say press F10 to go to the boot menu, which it does. However selecting the USB stick just makes the screen blink and then do nothing. Unless all the other boot devices are missing or disabled the NUC refuses to boot to a USB device.

So for example just say the only UEFI boot devices are the USB stick and the built in EFI shell, there are no Legacy boot devices available either. The NUC will not boot to the USB stick. You can put the USB stick up the top of the boot order. You can select the USB device to boot first. The NUC will always boot to the EFI shell and will refuse to boot to the USB stick, until the EFI shell is removed as a boot option. Then it will happily boot to the USB stick.

2. This may be a related issue. When the USB stick is the only boot option Windows 10 will not install on the drive in the NUC. Windows will come back with the following message after formatting the 120GB drive:

"Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu."

The hard drive, an Intel SSDSCKJW (120 GB-6.0 GB/s) is spotted in the BIOS as a SATA device. However its not spotted on this NUC as a boot device.

The situation with this drive it did have Windows on it but I blew it away. I was able to do this by booting to the Windows 10 USB stick and then formatting the drive in Windows. I could boot to the USB stick by disabling UEFI boot so the USB stick was the only boot option. After this the drive does not appear in the UEFI boot option. I have another NUC of the same type which still has Windows on it and Windows Boot Manager and the drive itself appear in the UEFI boot options.

On this second NUC I basically have the same problem but have not wiped Windows.

I've updated the BIOS to the latest version on the first NUC. I've spent hours trying to work this out. Can anyone explain why problem 1 happens & how to fix it? I just wish the NUC BIOS was basically more like Dell BIOS in that if you tell the BIOS to boot from a certain device, it will boot from that device or fail because it can't.

Regards and thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Booting to different devices on a NUC5i5RYK
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted by Intel Corporation on behalf of

Hello kdegraa:

The fact that the hard drive is showing on the BIOS under SATA devices, but not under Boot devices, indicates that the NUC does not recognize it as a bootable device, so in this case we recommend formatting the hard drive, in order to do this you can connect it to a different PC and format it from there.

The fact that the USB is not working, could be related to the USB itself, since Windows 10 is UEFI you can disable legacy, and on the F10 menu you should see, USB and UEFI USB, like on the picture below, if still does not work, please try another USB flash drive:

We recommend to use the following link to create a USB bootable device from scratch:

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

You mentioned you did a BIOS update on one of the NUC’s, make sure the BIOS is up to date on this one as well, the version should be 0358, and then restore the BIOS to defaults:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26081/BIOS-Update-RYBDWi35-86A-

If you have the option to test it with a different SSD or hard drive that will be a good thing to try, for testing purposes, to rule out a possible problem with the NUC itself.

Please let me know the results of trying the steps above.

Any questions, please let me know.

Alberto

• 2. Re: Booting to different devices on a NUC5i5RYK
            kdegraa

Hi Alberto,

I am not sure how I can remove the hard drive as such and plug it into another, non NUC computer. I looked at the insides of the NUC and the drive appears to be a board with a few chips on it that interfaces to the main board by a small connector. I don't have any other computer at my disposal that uses this interface.

I used the Rufus application to make a new bootable USB drive with a different USB stick drive. The same thing happened. The USB drive appears in the F10 boot menu but choosing it makes the screen blink and no more.

What is interesting is I've used two different brands of USB sticks. One is SanDisk. The second is Verbatim. On both the F10 boot menu says the same thing if either is installed:

UEFI: USB : UEFI : USB SanDisk : PART 0 : Bootloader : PART 0 : OS Bootl

The NUC will not boot to either USB stick unless the USB is the only boot option.

The NUC will happily boot to both USB sticks if the USB stick is the only boot option available and legacy boot is enabled. If legacy boot is disabled then the NUC will report there are no devices to boot from.

• 3. Re: Booting to different devices on a NUC5i5RYK
              Intel Corporation

Hello kdegraa:

Thank you very much for that information.

In that case this could be a hardware problem with the NUC itself.

Could you please confirm the model of the hard drive? The number you gave me before SSDSCKJW, seems to be missing a few digits.

Also, could you please provide a screen shot of the NUC? So we can check the inside of it to verify how the SSD is connected.

Alberto

• 4. Re: Booting to different devices on a NUC5i5RYK
                kdegraa

Hi,

the model of the hard drive is: SSDSCKJW120H6

The BIOS version is RYBDWi 35.86A.0350.2016.0606.1423

Please find attached images of the NUC and its hard drive.

Thanks

This is a picture of Windows 10 installer telling me I can't install Windows onto the drive.

WP_20160901_10_08_21_Pro (Medium).jpg

The drive

WP_20160907_09_37_45_Pro (Medium).jpg

The Drive remove from the NUC

WP_20160907_09_38_22_Pro (Medium).jpg

The drive connecter without the drive present.

WP_20160907_09_38_41_Pro (Medium).jpg

The bottom of the NUC

WP_20160907_09_43_57_Pro (Medium).jpg

• 5. Re: Booting to different devices on a NUC5i5RYK
                  Intel Corporation

Hello kdegraa:

Thank you very much for providing those pictures.

Based on that information I can see that there is a partition created in there, and that means that the SSD was already formatted, because as you mentioned Windows was installed in there before.

Do you have the option to delete that partition and try to install Windows again?

That will be necessary to install Windows from scratch, you just need to highlight the partition and the option to delete it should be enable to do it.

Enable legacy and UEFI on the BIOS.

In addition on the following link you will find a list of compatible devices for this NUC, I just wanted to let you know that your SSD is not listed, but that does not mean it is not going to work, so, please try the steps above and let me know the results.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/intel-nuc-kits/000005503.html

Alberto

• 6. Re: Booting to different devices on a NUC5i5RYK
                    kdegraa

Hi again,

I managed to wipe all partitions booting to our network image server and then performing an operation to wipe them.

Here is a screen shot of an attempt to install Windows 10 after wiping the partitions,

WP_20160907_12_33_21_Pro.jpg

As you can see, there is no allocated space however Windows reports the BIOS won't support the drive booting so Windows can't be installed.

Here are some screenshots of BIOS screens giving various I hope relevant settings:

WP_20160907_12_34_00_Pro.jpgWP_20160907_12_34_09_Pro.jpgWP_20160907_12_34_22_Pro.jpgWP_20160907_12_34_38_Pro.jpgWP_20160907_12_35_13_Pro.jpg

It just feels like something is incredibly wrong with this NUC's BIOS and boot options along with the others. For example I attempted to boot to a CD drive that was connect via USB so I could use a drive cleaning too on it. The CD drive appeared as a TEAC drive in the F10 boot menu. However when I selected it the NUC immediately attempted to boot to the network. When I rebooted the NUC the TEAC drive was no longer present in the F10 boot menu even though it was still plugged in.

This is just one example of how inconsistent it is.

Karl

• 7. Re: Booting to different devices on a NUC5i5RYK
                      Intel Corporation

Hello kdegraa:

Once again thank you very much for the pictures.

Since you already did a BIOS update and the problem remains, that indicates that it could be a problem with the NUC itself, and since the option to test it with a different SSD is not available, the next thing to do right now will be to replace it.

To do that, you can either get in contact with the place of purchase or we can replace it for you.

If you are interested in the replacement, please get in contact directly with us through chat, email, phone or online support, you just need to select NUC on product type and you will get those options:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html#@12

Alberto