Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14405 Discussions

Intel i5 2500k 3 active core 1 core failed. Dual channel memory setup failed to post on working non dual channel

idata
Employee

Hi Support Team,

Recently i encountered the I5 2500k failed to boot windows with only MCE error. Even Linux have kernel panic.

Once i replaced CPU cooler suspecting the cooling issue could be one of the cause but even though its not as it was stable 40-50 deg.

But i was seaching for forums and reply and many replied replacing the cpu which is no option for me as i am out of the 3 year std . Even though tuning performance package available i am away from 3 year period.

I cant get a replacement now.

When i got the replacement CORSAIR h100i v2 liquid cooler . I tried with 2 cores bang it worked and i restore the windows 10 image and rebooted with 3 cores and bang it worked again.

Now with 4 core boom its again mce error. so 1 core failed.

I was troubleshooting while encountererd that 2 of 4 sticks failed

I test each module to see which will post and 2 post of 4.

But the memory post dont work in dual channel May be the wrong cas though the freq is 1600mhz. As one is very old and one is 1 year old.

But is the failed core has anything to do with dual channel operation

Under what circumstances a memory wont post in dual channel.

0 Kudos
21 Replies
ssote
New Contributor II

It could be the motherboard or the IMC in the CPU.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Nathan:

I just wanted to check if you saw the information we are requesting above?

That information is needed for us to better assist you.

Any questions, please let me know.

Alberto

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Nathan:

The problem could be related to the memory controller on the processor, it could be the memory slot on the board, it could be the memory stick itself, or in regard to one core not working, that could be related to the processor itself.

Did you test the PC with just one memory stick in all the memory slots?

Did you try the step above with all the memory sticks?

What is the model of the board?

Did you try a BIOS update to the latest version on the board?

Did it work fine before?

We have a tool to test the processor, that it does an overall test on it, including a memory test, second option to the left to install it:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool

If there is a PC repair store close to you, they might be able to swap parts, and test the board with a different processor, or the processor on a different board.

Alberto

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Yes I tried working ram in 3rd and 4th close to cpu 1 by 1 no boot ram led contant glow issue being slot as Same ram work fine before 1 and 2 slot

Yes it was working until 4 core failed but even then all were fine while I getting whea machine check exception code 16gb was showing

Suddenly this issue popped.

If I can fail why work with single channel does imc Has anything to do with dual channel and failed core.

I did Rma 2 stick which was bad same results it works out on first 2 slots with no issues but other slot no luck

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Nathan:

Thank you very much for that information.

In this case, since you already replaced the memory RAM, the problem could be related to the processor itself, since the memory controller is in it, or it could be the board that it might have a defective memory slot.

Did the processor passed the test on the processor diagnostics tool?

Do you have the option to test the processor on a different board, or the board with a different processor?

Alberto

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Nathan:

I just wanted to check if you saw the information we are requesting on the previous post?

That information is very useful for us to better assist you.

Alberto

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Yes the intel tool was pass with green. So its not cpu imc causing the 1& 2nd slot to fail to boot.

But these slots were working fine till i remove the suspected bad cooler which i rma'ed recently

The tool pass but only with the 3&4 slot populated at the end of the board. The 1&2 close to cpu failed to boot even with 1 ram stick in either of the slot's

Does it beacuse of cpu or board. If i change cpu can i revive the slot.

Some say over tightening may be cause of failing slots near cpu but i have not done over tightening as the screw wont go beyond it can and dont want a chance of slight airline space which could further damage the cpu.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Team,

is it normal for 4 year old CPU have similar sign of wear and tear. As few points are greyed out or gold is black and one of the point is scribbled away.

Does this works without issues.

0 Kudos
ssote
New Contributor II

Looks like you have a defective pad on the processor.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Nathan:

Thank you very much for the picture.

Based on that picture is still hard to tell if the problem is the processor the board or the RAM sticks, it seems to be just fine.

Did you test the PC using just one memory stick on the first slot, the blue one closest to the processor?

Please try that with all the RAM sticks, to rule out a possible problem with the stick itself.

If it works with one of the sticks, then that is a problem with the memory itself, and the replacement of some sticks will be necessary.

If after you try this, with all the sticks, and still is not booting, then the problem will be the memory slot, because as you mentioned, it works if you use the sticks on slots 3 and 4, that means the processor is working fine and the sticks too.

The best way to make sure will be by swapping parts, do you have the option to test the processor on a different board, or the board with a different processor?

Alberto

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Coming to the memory slot. It was working fine until i removed the cpu . ie once i get the whea machine check exception. I see the system post without issues and all the 16gb ram works fine 4gb each slot.

The moment i have remove the cpu to check the stats after that the problem started appearing.

I will be getting a used cpu. I will post if replacing the cpu brings me back the lost dual channel slot.

Its really handy to have extra ram. I dont know if i can just be with 8gig as i am used to it.

Regards

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Nathan:

Thank you very much for letting us know that information.

If you can get another processor, that will be great because that will let us know for sure, if the problem is the processor or the board, please let me know the results.

If by any chance there is a problem with the processor, remember that the processor has 3 years of warranty, so, if you have the proof of purchase for this processor and it shows it was purchased less than three years ago, we can always replace it for you.

If you are interested in the replacement, please get in contact directly with us through chat, email, phone or online support, you just need to select processor on product type and you will get those options:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html# @12 http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html# @12

Alberto

0 Kudos
ssote
New Contributor II

nathan wrote:

Coming to the memory slot. It was working fine until i removed the cpu . ie once i get the whea machine check exception. I see the system post without issues and all the 16gb ram works fine 4gb each slot.

The moment i have remove the cpu to check the stats after that the problem started appearing.

I will be getting a used cpu. I will post if replacing the cpu brings me back the lost dual channel slot.

Its really handy to have extra ram. I dont know if i can just be with 8gig as i am used to it.

Regards

Let us know how it works out.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I got the new cpu and now it all works.

Coming to the RAM part its is due one of board cpu slot pin is bent and i try to pry up and whola it worked. Now all the slots are working with dual channel and everything is back to normal.

Hope i can know the fact why 4th core failed in my i5 2500k

0 Kudos
ssote
New Contributor II

Glad you have it all fixed now. was your defective CPU overclocked?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

No It was not. I suspect cpu cooler could be not providing enough cooling.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Right now i have i7 2600 replaced . I got the replaced corsair H100i v2 cooler .

Initially i was getting 33-38 . After fixing the cpu bend pin on the right side which re-enabled my first 2 ram slot in the board. Suddenly i am seeing spike in idle temps say 38-44 degrees. its non k series so again running stock.

At load it goes upto 63 degrees. While running prime it goes 70 degree.

Load is gaming load.

0 Kudos
ssote
New Contributor II

Seems to be something wrong with your AIO cooler you temps should not be that high for water cooling stock.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello nathan:

Thank you very much for letting us know that information, we are glad to hear that finally we can confirm that the reason of the problem was the processor.

The processor has 3 years of warranty, so, if you still have the proof of purchase, and it shows that it was purchased less than 3 years ago, we can always replace it for you.

If you are interested in the replacement, please get in contact directly with us through chat, email, phone or online support, you just need to select processor on product type and you will get those options:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html# @12 http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html# @12

Alberto

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

i HAVE CHECKED A LONG TIME BACK. Now its not showing. Do i have an warranty as per the above snapshot.

0 Kudos