Hi,

Here's the built of my PC

Intel i7 6700k with (hyper 212 cooler)

Asus Z170-a Motherboard

SSD Samsung EVO 850 (500 gb)

2 x DDR4 8gb Corsair

Ati R390x 8gb videocard

Powersupply 800w

I installed everything and did my Windows 10 installation, everything was fine till I started the driver update on my video card ...

My computer crashed and got a BSOD with this message: page_fault_in_nonpaged_area

and: irql_not_less_or_equal

Never had the chance to access my SSD or reinstalling Windows 10

So I returned the motherboard for a rempacement and change the ram for GSKILL, I tried another Powersupply and other SSD.

Did the test without my Video card and using the one on board.

Still having the same problem with the same messages.

The only thing I didn't change is the processor, in the Bios it's detected but even that, is it possible that my CPU is malfunctioning ?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi Jonwalsh,

I noted you are getting issues while installing the driver of you external graphics card. We need to try to narrow down the issue. Let me know if you can get into the BIOS using the minimum configuration, I mean processor, motherboard, and 1 memory stick DDR4 2133MHz.

From review BIOS version, memory speed and check if you can see the SSD. Latest BIOS versions:

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/Z170-A/HelpDesk_Download/

Then, try to install the operating system without the external graphics card, install the latest chipset and MEI driver from Asus website. Then, turn the system off and plug the external graphics card. Attach the monitor to one of the video ports of the card (external).

Let me know how it works.

Regards,

Mike C
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Mike,

I did the test with only the processor and 1 ram (with nothing else) and still have the same problem.

At the begining I did the Bios update via internet, everything was fine, installed Windows 10 with updates, when I did the Video Card driver update the system crashed, I returned the MB and RAM after the processor and 1 ram test.

I reordered the same MB but not the same ram (GSKILL instead of Crucial) got the same message (so I have access to BIOS and can see the name of my processor, my ram, ssd and Windows 10 usb stick in boot menu) but cannot go further (tried 3 SSD) just in case it was the problem but cleary not ... I tried another Power Supply 850w but nothing changed.

That's why I'm asking, is it possible that my processor is malfunctioning even if it's detected in the BIOS, cause it's the only thing I didn't change.

Best regards.

Jonathan

0 Kudos
ssote
New Contributor II

I would RMA the Processor, just make sure you do not have the same motherboard that you returned. Intel is good to work with Phone Number: 1-916-377-7000

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Mike,

Should I RMA the processor ? It's been over a month that I'm trying to get my PC working and seen the only thing that cause this issue is my i7 6700k ...

Best regards.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Jonwalsh,

If you test your system with minimum configuration and you are still getting a black screen, I suggest you to replace the processor.

Please contact us using our phone, chat or webticket.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html

Remember, this processor supports memories of 2133MHz @ 1.20V.

Mike C

0 Kudos
ssote
New Contributor II

Can you do a Clean install of your OS format it?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Finaly,

Went to a Computer repair shop, they tested all my gear, it was my i7-6700k causing trouble, the tech said it's very rare that a CPU detected in the Bios causing that kind of issue, i'm the second case he saw till now.

Best regards

0 Kudos
ssote
New Contributor II

Glad you have it fixed I also had a bad Skylake prosessorer it would freeze RMA a new one working fine for me.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Jonwalsh and wingman99,

I noted you replaced the processors. Let me know if you any further assistance from my side.

Mike C

0 Kudos
DOGar
Beginner

Just want to confirm exactly the same symptoms and diagnoses as the OP.

I built and installed the OS successfully on Wednesday (09/21/16) and today (09/24/16) my windows 10 OS BSOD. Reboot would result in errors as described in the OP thread opener.

I could not even reinstall the OS. CPU detected just fine in the ASUS maximus viii hero uefi.

I tested everything until all that was left was CPU and MOBO.

i installed a friends CPU and WINDOWS 10 booted to OS without issue. Given the CPU was only purchased 3 days ago, will this be a direct replacement? I cannot really afford to be without my computer.

0 Kudos
ssote
New Contributor II

Intel will cross ship the CPU are you in the USA? Phone Number: 1-916-377-7000

0 Kudos