Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

DCS World from Eagle Dynamics does not render textures in HD 520 on Surface Pro 4

SSven4
Beginner

For some reason, the simulator made by Eagle Dynamics called DCS World 1.5.4 and DCS World 2.0 is not rendering any texture during a running simulation.

The simulation runs, but just no texture seems to be loaded or to be rendered. Don't know why and don't know if this is a GPU problem.

For clarity, i have added a picture that shows an airplane, but completely black, the air is black too, but clouds are rendered, and no ground textures...

This simulator runs perfectly on NVIDIA and AMD GPUs. For this test, i had configured all the settings on low, meaning, consume less memory, less complexity, no after processing etc.

Would appreciate if somebody from intel could have a look at this problem.

You can download DCS World for free from this web site:

www.digitalcombatsimulator.com

Download DCS world 1.5.4, install it, and just run a test mission.

If you run the mission using an NVIDIA GPU, you'll see the graphics, but when you run on an intel HD 5xx architecture, the simulation runs, there are graphics, but no textures.

thanks in advance,

Sven

0 Kudos
20 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello, @Sven_Van_de_Velde:

Thank you for joining the Graphics Community.

Could you please provide me with the your graphics report? Here is how to do it http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005848.html Report for Intel® Graphics Drivers, this will help me gather the information in order to address the issue.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
ggail
Novice

Hello there. Got the exact same issue with my surface pro 4 and DCS world. Couldn't find your report button anywhere though:

Would really love to have this sim supported as it looks like it runs well except for a majority of textures not loading. What's strange is that lower end computer are running it fine. Surface Pro 4 should be able to hand it too.

SSven4
Beginner

See the post of BADCrC please. Note that my surface pro 4 has only 4GB of memory, but his has 8GB of memory. The configuration that is showing up on his intel HD520 graphics properties panel should allow the game to run smooth.

Note, that on my other laptop (a PC with an NVIDIA 880M + HD4600 onboard), i disabled the onboard NVIDIA graphics card, and ran the game on the HD4600, and DCS world runs flawlessly on this setup.

When i check the HD4600 graphics properties on my laptop, it shows:

So there must be something with the intel drivers of the HD520 setup on the surface pro 4...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, All:

I am going to need your graphics report in order to address this matter, please see here for the instructions http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005848.html, once you have the report please attach it. To attach a file, you must click "Use Advanced Editor" in the top right corner of the response box, then the "attach" option will appear in the bottom right corner of the response box.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
ggail
Novice

Hello,

Following these instructions are leading me and Sven nowhere on our Surfaces Pro 4. There is no report option. There are no graphic properties in the right click menu (but we have display settings, I don't know if it is the same). I tried to update the intel drivers with your utility, but it says and I can't do that. Can you try to grab a Surface Pro 4 for yourself and post a step by step procedure? Or maybe even better, try to run DCS World on your surface and let us know if this is working for you?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

BaDCrC, you are right, I have experienced the same behavior. So, in order to address the graphics issue with the game try updating you Intel® HD Graphics to the latest version, see here here for the download https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26228/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-and-Windows-7-8-1-15-40-?product=88355 Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows® 10 and Windows 7*/8.1* [15.40], and use this method for the installation http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005629.html How to Manually Install an Intel® Graphics Driver in Windows® 10 &... .This method ensures the installation of the driver, I followed it and now I am able to see the graphics properties in the right click menu.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
ggail
Novice

Thanks. I downloaded the zip file for drivers version 15.40.28.4501 but my already installed drivers version is giving me a 20.19.15.4463 version dated 6h of july 2016. So updating drivers is telling me I already have the latest driver...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

The last 4 numbers of the driver version will indicate the latest version, in this case 15.40.28.4501 is in fact the latest regardless of the date posted in our site. Now that you have installed the version .4463, I just wanted to know; does the render texture issue persist?

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
ggail
Novice

Well, on this version I was telling you (4463) yes. I still don't understand why it didn't want to install the 4501 then since, as you explained, it is a newest version unlike what Windows was telling me.

This is the best I could get for the external view. Sky is supposed to be blue. But from the cockpit, everything is black.

0 Kudos
SSven4
Beginner

@BadCrC,

A/ Just for clarity purposes, the external view as shown in your picture, it this rendered with driver 4501 or with 4463? The reason of my asking is: when i render on my surface pro 4 with 4MB ram (2 GB shared video memory), it does render nothing. The ground, planes, sky, trees, buildings. All is black.

@Ami,

B/ The latest driver (4501) can also not be installed on my surface pro 4..

Sven

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Sven_Van_de_Velde, please try this method http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005629.html How to Manually Install an Intel® Graphics Driver in Windows® 10 &..., this method will ensure the installation of the driver.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Sven_Van_de_Velde, were you able to install the driver version .4501?

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
ggail
Novice

Sorry. The screen was taken with the 4463 as I have never been able to install the 4501. My Pro 4 kept telling me that I already have the latest drivers.

The screen looks good but actually, as soon as you are rotating around the aircraft, you get big black textures everywhere. Inside the aircraft also. Every instrument is black as well as the sky. Got only the structure and the clouds correctly rendered.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Sven and @BadCrC,

I have installed DCS world 1.5.4 on a Surface Pro 4. Besides running the test mission, what other steps can I follow in order to reproduce this? Please feel free to add all the details you can.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
ggail
Novice

Hey thanks for taking the time for doing this. Maybe we'll have you as a future pilot in DCS multiplayer servers soon?

Sooo, are you telling us that your DCS 1.5.4 is working fine on your Pro 4? Because really there is nothing special to do to get those black textures. Just launching the game and arriving on the main screen you should see a partially black sky with moving clouds. Then launching any "immediate action" with any of the aircraft available (Su-25 or P-51), you'll get a almost completely black cockpit. Pressing F2 for the external view, you should see a lot of black sky and other black textures.

What driver version do you have? And what type of Pro 4 too?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I was not sure if I was getting the same behavior you are reporting but now that you have confirmed it, I will give it a try.

I have a Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (256 GB, 8 GB RAM, Intel Core i5) running Windows® 10.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello All,

I have great news for you. We were able to replicate this behavior and there is a fix schedule for the next driver release, I do not have an estimate time for the release of this driver, but I recommend checking https://downloadcenter.intel.com/ Drivers & Software for further reference.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
ggail
Novice

Thanks Amy! This is great news! Thank you. Can't wait to fly on the pro4!!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

You're welcome.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
PradeepNar_R_Intel

Hello Sven_Van_de_Velde

This is to inform you that we have already resolved the issue in our driver. We will update when the driver is available for you guys to download. Thank you for using Intel graphics. Please continue to submit issues so we can make your graphics experience better.

Thank you

0 Kudos