4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 30, 2016 12:36 PM by DeanGibson

Does not work when wired connection is active

DeanGibson

The remote keyboard app works fine on my CS125 (STK1A32SC, Win 10 x64 Home), when only a WiFi connection is active.  However, if I attach a USB-to-Ethernet dongle and enable the connection, then the Android app does not subsequently see the CS125.  However, if I make the remote keyboard WiFi connection to the CS125 before I connect (or enable) the Ethernet dongle, then the remote keyboard WiFi connection continues to work until I disconnect.

Note that with the Ethernet dongle active, "ipconfig" shows both adapters active with distinct IP addresses (both on the same subnet), and indeed I can "ping" the two IP addresses separately from the Android device (an LG G3 on Android v6.0).  However, the Android Intel app does not see the CS125.

"route print" on the CS125 shows both IP addresses, with a lower metric assigned to the Ethernet dongle.  That's as it should be, as the whole point of using the Ethernet dongle is for "normal" network traffic.

Note that moving both the CS125 and the Android device to a separate WiFi network (different subnet & router) produces the same results.

Now, this may be a Windows issue, but it would be nice if this worked.

• 1. Re: Does not work when wired connection is active
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted by Intel Corporation on behalf of

Indeed, it sounds like a Windows issue, you could try updating to the latest Windows® 10 anniversary, through Windows Updates. 
          Please bear in mind that when you loaded Windows® 10 64 bit you are still using generic Microsoft drivers. 

Allan. 

• 2. Re: Does not work when wired connection is active
            DeanGibson

Intel Corporation wrote:

Indeed, it sounds like a Windows issue, you could try updating to the latest Windows® 10 anniversary, through Windows Updates.
            Please bear in mind that when you loaded Windows® 10 64 bit you are still using generic Microsoft drivers.

Allan.

Once the pre-installed Win 10 x86 Home was activated, I immediately blew it away and did a fresh USB install of Win 10 x64 v1607 (the Anniversary edition).  That eliminated the upgrade space requirement!  I followed that with a prompt install of all of Intel's x64 drivers for the STK1A32SC from Intel's Drivers & Software web page.  I then added the Remote Keyboard x64 app from that same link, with the results noted above.

Are you suggesting that this should work, and/or that you (or anyone else) have the Remote Keyboard (x86 or x64) PC app successfully connecting to the Android app, when the stick is connected to the Internet via a USB-to-Ethernet dongle?

• 3. Re: Does not work when wired connection is active
              Intel Corporation
              This message was posted by Intel Corporation on behalf of

I have not tested the Intel® Compute Stick connected to the USB-NIC dongle. I would recommend waiting for different user chime in on this matter.

Allan. 

• 4. Re: Does not work when wired connection is active
                DeanGibson
                ... I would recommend waiting for different user[s] [to] chime in on this matter.

I agree;  I just thought that perhaps your prior response indicated that you might have seen it work.

While I have hope, I am not hopeful.  For one thing, Windows is not really suited to "multi-home" operation.  If both Ethernet and WiFi adapters are active in a DHCP or Active Directory environment, both adapters will be assigned different IP addresses but the same hostname, which can cause confusion in other network devices attempting to connect to the multi-homed device (eg, other PCs attempting to access shared files).  Probably for that reason, Windows normally "disables" a WiFi connection when there is an active Ethernet connection.  There are workarounds to this (eg, using different DNS subdomains), but they require some administrative sophistication.  More importantly, they didn't seem to solve my problem when I tried them.

There are other ways to wirelessly connect a keyboard and/or mouse to a computer without using the WiFi network protocol.  One is typified by the little USB wireless dongles that come with some wireless keyboards, which apparently use the same 2.4GHz band as WiFi (and Bluetooth).  The fact that this wireless connection can't use the PC's wireless hardware and requires additional hardware, indicates an issue on the PC side.  There are probably similar difficulties on the Android side.

Another potential approach is to use Bluetooth.  All of the Android remote keyboard/mouse apps that I have seen that use Bluetooth for connectivity, require an associated PC "server" app to be installed (just like Intel's PC app).  Why?  Conceptually, there should be no reason that an Android device can't connect to a PC as a keyboard and mouse without additional PC software, just like a real Bluetooth keyboard and mouse do now.  The fact that no one seems to have done that, indicates that there is a significant obstacle to doing so.

Already, the need to control a PC keyboard/mouse from an Android device, is a "fringe" requirement.  I appreciate that Intel spent the effort to create the PC and Android apps that exist for this capability.  I admit that my goal for it to work when a wired connection is active, is even more "fringe".  I'm just exploring ideas that would make it more useful (especially for me).