5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 9, 2016 1:24 PM by Intel Corporation

Initial Installation of OS ( & drivers) on NUC6i7KYK

Uberseehandel

I am in the process of getting together everything needed to use a NUC6i7KYK as a workstation with dual 43" 4K monitors (working on a BI project).

It will be running Win 10 Pro 64-bit and have 32GB RAM and 500GB SSD. I have a (Microsoft) Bluetooth 4.0 Designer keyboard & mouse. I have also loaded a USB stick with a Win 10Pro 64-bit boot image, using rufus.

It occurs to me that a Bluetooth keyboard may not be able to be used with the NUC until the appropriate drivers have been added.

Is my assumption correct, or am I over thinking this?

What are my options?

I can think of -

1. No problem
      2. Load Intel drivers (and firmware) onto boot drive
      3. Install/Boot over Ethernet
      4. Use a wired keyboard to install firmware drivers and OS and then switch to new keyboard and mouse.

Or am I completely wrong? I haven't found explicit instructions for adding the drivers and firmware to the USB drive, nor have I personally done an Ethernet install and would need those instructions too.

I could use the keyboard on my laptop?

Just to add to the complications I am planning on using the appropriate TPM(PTT) capabilities, so presumably this needs to be accessible on setup.

Buying a wired keyboard to boot seems such a quaint idea.

• 1. Re: Initial Installation of OS ( & drivers) on NUC6i7KYK
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted by Intel Corporation on behalf of

Hello, Uberseehandel:

"It occurs to me that a Bluetooth keyboard may not be able to be used with the NUC until the appropriate drivers have been added."

You are right, you will need the drivers first. As you mentioned, you can use a wired keyboard and mouse set all the configuration, once you have all the driver installed you can switch to the keyboard/mouse Bluetooth. 

Regards,

Amy.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Initial Installation of OS ( & drivers) on NUC6i7KYK
            Uberseehandel

Amy

Thank you for your reply.

I have discovered software ( NTLITE) that allows one to add drivers (and firmware upgrades?) to an ISO image and then create a bootable USB stick.

If I am to attempt to use this convenient capability, should I create specific directories/folders to store the files from the Intel download site? I am quite happy to spend a little time working at this as it should streamline future installations.

Similarly, if installation is possible using Ethernet connectivity (PXE), are there any instructions available?

Configuring machines from components straight out of the box is not something I habitually do, but I am prepared to discover what has to be done, if required.

It seems a bit wimpy to go and buy a wired keyboard for 30 minutes work when each deployed workstation will have 3 wireless keyboards (2 for the smart display OSs and 1 for the NUC6i7KYK) plus remotes.

Thanks again

Robin St.Clair

• 3. Re: Initial Installation of OS ( & drivers) on NUC6i7KYK
              Intel Corporation

Since Nlite is a third-party software the best support should be provided here https://www.ntlite.com/discussions/, they should be able to provide you all the instructions on how to proceed. 

"Similarly, if installation is possible using Ethernet connectivity (PXE), are there any instructions available?"

If you try the Ethernet connectivity (PXE) you will need to enable the PXE boot option in the BIOS configuration and in that case you need a wired keyboard to enter to the BIOS configuration. I understand that are not into buying the wired keyboard, but I believe that is the easiest thing to do in order to install all the drivers. Maybe you can borrow one.

Regards,

Amy.

• 4. Re: Initial Installation of OS ( & drivers) on NUC6i7KYK
                Uberseehandel

Amy

Thanks for your reply. I shall hit up my MS contacts and work the NTLite discussions forum to see if I can use a mixture of PowerShell and the appropriate directory structure to get the required drivers to load.

I do understand that this isn't entirely an Intel issue it is just as much a MS /Linux/Bluetooth issue. However, Intel does have remote keyboard software, Download Intel® Remote Keyboard Host App it would be logical to be able to use this in extremis.

Don't worry, I'll call in some favours in Redmond.

Robin

• 5. Re: Initial Installation of OS ( & drivers) on NUC6i7KYK
                  Intel Corporation

Alright, keep me posted on that.

Yes, Intel® Remote Keyboard Host App is an option, but just bear in mind that this software uses the Wi-Fi connection to connect to your devices as the remote keyboard. See here for more information Introducing the Intel® Remote Keyboard

Regards,

Amy.