10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 29, 2016 11:09 AM by Intel Corporation

M3 Stick Shut Down bug

Rebecca12

hi, I have the M3 stick, sometimes I press the shutdown button but it restarts instead, this is definitely a bug, please fix it.

• 1. Re: M3 Stick Shut Down bug
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello Rebecca:

In order to shut down the stick, you need to press and hold the power key, until the light goes off.

If the stick is not doing that, then it could be a hardware issue, since the stick has 1 year of warranty the best thing to do will be to replace it.

In order to do that, you can get in contact with the place of purchase to check if they can replace it, or we can replace it for you.

If you are interested in the replacement, please get in contact directly with us through chat, email, phone or online support, you just need to select compute stick on product type and you will get those options:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html#@12

Any questions, please let me know.

Alberto

• 2. Re: M3 Stick Shut Down bug
            Rebecca12

the physical shutdown button on the stick works fine, what I meant was, when I press on the Start on the desktop, then I choose to shut down it restarts instead.

• 3. Re: M3 Stick Shut Down bug
              Intel Corporation

Hello Rebecca12:

Let me apologize that I misunderstood the previous information.

Did you try to reset the stick?

You can do that by pressing F8 several times when the stick is starting up, then look for the option that says “troubleshoot” and then “reset this PC”, you can choose “keep my files” option to reset the stick without losing any information.

Another option will be a system restore, to get there, select “troubleshoot” and then ‘advanced options” and then “system restore”, we recommend to save the important information before trying this option.

Alberto

• 4. Re: M3 Stick Shut Down bug
                Intel Corporation

Hello Rebecca12:

I just wanted to check if the information posted previously was useful for you, and if the problem with the stick got resolved or if it still persists?

Alberto

• 5. Re: M3 Stick Shut Down bug
                  Rebecca12

I'll let you know if I ever refresh my PC

• 6. Re: M3 Stick Shut Down bug
                    Intel Corporation

Hello Rebecca12:

Thank you very much.

Perfect, if by any chance you need further assistance on this matter, please let us know, so we can help you with that.

Regards

Alberto

• 7. Re: M3 Stick Shut Down bug
                      Rebecca12

there is definitely something wrong because this problem is still there after I installed the anniversary update and updated to the latest bios, like I said, when I press the start button then I go to power and choose shutdown, it restarts instead, after the restart windows starts again and I choose to shutdown and the second time it shutdown properly, please fix this in your next bios update because I can't afford to reset my stick, I have so many software installed.

• 8. Re: M3 Stick Shut Down bug
                        Intel Corporation

Hello Rebecca12:

We are sorry to hear that the stick still has the same problem.

Unfortunately since the option to reset does not work for you, then the next thing to do as it was mentioned before will be to replace it.

At this moment there is no official information from Intel stating that there will be a new BIOS version for the stick, let me apologize for that, in any case you can always verify that in our web site, right now the latest BIOS version is 0044, here you have the instructions to do a BIOS update, in case you want to try it:

BIOS update using F7 method:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/desktop-boards/000005724.html

This is the .BIO file needed:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26261/BIOS-Update-CCSKLm30-86A-

Alberto

• 9. Re: M3 Stick Shut Down bug
                          Rebecca12

I decided to start clean and reset Windows completely, yet still the problem is there, I even chose in the BIOS option Power State to (Always Off) yet still when I shut down it restarts instead, please intel fix this in your next bios update.

• 10. Re: M3 Stick Shut Down bug
                            Intel Corporation

Hello Rebecca12:

We are sorry to hear the problem with the stick not shutting down properly persists.

In regard to your suggestion, the thing is that this is not a known issue, some of the sticks might not work properly, and it seems to be that you have a defective unit, so, with the replacement of the unit the issue should be fixed, because this is an isolated case.

So, to resolve the problem, please get in contact with the place of purchase to check if you still have the option to replace it directly with them, or we can do that for you, by using the link posted previously on this thread to get in contact with Intel directly.

Just in case, let me give you the phone number to get in contact with Intel directly:

1-916-377-7000

Alberto