2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 29, 2016 5:27 PM by Intel Corporation

mSATA SSD in m.2 port

Hi folks,

I'm looking to purchase a NUC6i5SYH. I have an existing mSATA SDD as well as a 2.5" SATA HDD that I would like to install, but understand that this NUC uses a M.2 interface. I am wondering whether I could use the following adapter card to convert my mSATA drive to fit the m.2 interface: mSATA Mini PCI-E 3.0 SSD to NGFF M.2 B Key SATA Interface Adapter Card New | eBay.

However, it looks like this card is a little wider than a standard M.2 drive and may not fit in the NUC6i5SYH. Can anyone comment on whether or not the NUC6i5SYH has space to accommodate this card with my mSATA drive in the M.2 port and if this is likely to function correctly?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

• 1. Re: mSATA SSD in m.2 port

Since the mSATA drive utilizes the SATA interface provided in the mSATA connector (i.e. its not an NVMe device), using it in this adapter should work just fine (the drive will be recognized and accessed over the SATA interface. Whether this adapter will actually fit in the space available in the NUC chassis is another question - one that you will have to determine on your own (I don't have such an adapter to check this myself)...

• 2. Re: mSATA SSD in m.2 port
            Intel Corporation
            This message was posted by Intel Corporation on behalf of

Hi Onironaut,
            Let’s wait if our community members already tested this SSD adapter and give us their feedback. Intel has not tested SSD adapters yet.
            Mike C