2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 1, 2016 8:20 AM by Intel Corporation

NUC D54250WYK DUAL SSD bootable in SATA only

cinco

We are using the NUC D54250WYK we have the latest Bios installed (042) from the web site for this  Model. VisionTek 401156-900613 480GB SSD  as a  boot drive in the PCIE slot, it powers up just fine. It's when we introduce the secondary Drive in the SATA slot  same model, brand and capacity, it Stops recognizing even the Boot drive. 2 out of 5 units have worked with out this happening. One of the units came back after removing the secondary and resetting followed by F2 F9 F10 to clear the CMOS, rebooting using CTRL-ALT-DEL a few times. It almost seems like during  the boot sequence the bios looks at the SATA first and if it's not bootable it fails to recognize the second drive and will not boot.

We tried a different Unit using a  boot drive in the SATA  slot and the secondary drive in the PCIe slot and it booted Just fine and recognized the secondary drive. our clients preference is to use the PCIE as a boot drive.

also our application requires that we remove the Battery from the NUC and may require a custom BIOS so that it comes up in the proper configuration? any chance you can direct me to the proper group?

• 1. Re: NUC D54250WYK DUAL SSD bootable in SATA only
          N.Scott.Pearson

On most NUC models, SATA Lane 1 is routed to the MSATA/M.2 connector and SATA Lane 0 is routed to the SATA drive bay connector. While you have only a single drive installed, it does not matter which SATA lane is actually being used; you get a single entry in the Boot Order table and it boots from that drive. When both drives are present, however, the BIOS, by default, will list the drive connected to SATA Lane 0 first and the SSD connected to SATA Lane 1 second. In fact, however, you want to (continue to) boot from the SSD and thus you want the order to be the opposite. What you have to do is change the order of the entries in the BIOS Boot Order table so that the entry for the SSD is ahead of the entry for the (other) drive.

It is possible, using the Intel Integrator Toolkit (ITK) software, to produce a customized BIOS Update (.BIO) file that has the boot order set the way you want. Installing this file on every unit will cause the boot order to be changed to these settings. Obviously, you will need to produce one of these customized BIOS Update files for each separate BIOS that you use.

Hope this helps,

...S

• 2. Re: NUC D54250WYK DUAL SSD bootable in SATA only
            Intel Corporation
            This message was posted by Intel Corporation on behalf of

Hi Cinco,

Could you please let me know if Scott’s information helps you?
            Let me know if there is something else I could do for you

Regards,
            Hellen.