5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 5, 2016 3:57 PM by Intel Corporation

cannot rebuild replacement raid drive

MC42ITUS

My main disk in raid failed due to hardware failure.  I removed it and checked on another computer to confirm it was hardware issue. After removing the drive I was able to use the secondary drive by itself but with some program compatibility issues. In Rapid Storage Technology I clicked on the drive indicating failure and it then changed to green "normal" but it was no longer visible by the system.  I can hook it up externally to the same computer and other computers and it is functioning fine with all data intact.

I purchased a replacement drive verified it then install it in the computer but I am unable to restore the raid as both drives show normal in green but neither can be seen by ‘computer’ when connected as the previous arrangement. There is no option that I can see to “Rebuild” or tie the two drives together as both show as "normal".  I can identify the drives by hovering over the disk button/icon but I don't see a way to reestablish the raid.

How do I proceed? System is Win 7 home premium.

• 1. Re: cannot rebuild replacement raid drive
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi MC42ITUS,

I would need to collect more details of your system. Let me know the motherboard model, status (option) of the Chipset SATA Mode in BIOS), Was the operating system installed on this RAID array? If it is possible to get into RAID-menu (control-I) tell me which options are there. Send me pictures if possible.

Regards,
          Mike C

• 2. Re: cannot rebuild replacement raid drive
            MC42ITUS

Thank you Mike C - the motherboard is ASRock Z77 Professional UEFI SATA set for AHCI (checked through Fatal1ty UEFI setup utility). The computer, when built by a local company was set up as RAID for two of the drives (I use FBackup for the other drives) .  The operating system is SSD Samsung 250 - the RAID drive(s) has a few programs due to limited space on the SSD but no OS. The 'C' Samsung was successfully upgraded today from a Corsair 128. I'm not sure what you mean RAID-menu other than the Intel Rapid Start...so please explain.  In the Fatal1ty there are options for IDE, AHCI, RAID. No changes have been made to the installed software.  This system is a couple of years old. The drive is fully accessible through other computers but not recognizable through this computer except through external SATA connection

• 3. Re: cannot rebuild replacement raid drive
              Intel Corporation

Hi MC42ITUS,

RAID arrays require chipset SATA mode as RAID in BIOS even if OS was installed on a single SSD or HDD.

As soon as you change the BIOS settings and restart the PC, control-I menu will be displayed. Otherwise, you can rebuild the RAID array from RST.

Mike C

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: cannot rebuild replacement raid drive
                MC42ITUS

Thank you Mike C. You have been extremely helpful.

• 5. Re: cannot rebuild replacement raid drive
                  Intel Corporation

Hi MC42ITUS,

You are welcome. I am going to close your case; if you need further assistance, post your question in the same thread.

Mike C