13 Replies Latest reply on Sep 20, 2016 9:10 AM by Intel Corporation

Cannot play Tiberium Wars/Kane's Wrath with HD Graphics 5500

NguyenLe

I just bought a Dell Inspiron with core i5-5500U, Windows 10 64bit and HD Graphics 5500. I also bought Tiberium Wars/Kane's Wrath from Steam, but I couldn't play it. After the loading panel, the game crashes and say "Fatal Error: Exception in exception handler". What should I do? This is frustrating, as my very old Pentium PC was able to play the game just fine.

• 1. Re: Cannot play Tiberium Wars/Kane's Wrath with HD Graphics 5500
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello NguyenLe:

On the following link you will find the latest graphics driver version for the Intel® HD Graphics 5500 controller, please try to un-installed the current driver from device manager, and then try to install this driver manually:

Instructions to install the driver manually:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005629.html

Driver 4474:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26099/Intel-Beta-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-and-Windows-7-8-1-15-40-?product=86210

Also, we can try to install the graphics driver directly from Dell’s web site:

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Products/laptop/inspiron_laptop?app=drivers

A BIOS update to the latest version might be needed on the laptop, due to the fact that you are using Windows®10 Dell should be able to let you know all the details about how to do that:

Dell’s phone number; +1 800-624-9897

Dell’s support site: http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04

Also, as an option you can try to use the inbox drivers, those are the ones that get installed when you install Windows or when you do a Windows update.

Any questions, please let me know.

Alberto

• 2. Re: Cannot play Tiberium Wars/Kane's Wrath with HD Graphics 5500
            NguyenLe

I updated the BIOS and installed the graphic driver above:

Driver.png

But it is no use. "Fatal Error: Exception in exception handler" still appears at the loading panel.

• 3. Re: Cannot play Tiberium Wars/Kane's Wrath with HD Graphics 5500
              Intel Corporation

Hello NguyenLe:

Thank you very much for that information.

Since there are different versions for Dell® Inspiron, what is the specific model of the laptop?

Did you try the drivers from Dell?

In order for us to be able to start an investigation on this matter, we need some details of your system configuration, so we can look for a possible fix for this issue.

On the following chart, please fill as much information as you can, that information will be really helpful for us to try to find out what might be the problem:

CategoryQuestionsAnswers (N/A if not applicable)
              DescriptionProvide a detailed description of the issue 
              Please place an X to the right of the option showing how often you see this issue using specific steps. (Ex: 'Every few times a game is started it flickers.' <- This would be "Often")Always (100%):
                 Often (51-99%):
                 Sporadic (20-50%):
                 Very Sporadic (<20%):
              Hardware (HW)Brand and Model of the system. 
              Hybrid or switchable graphics system?
                 ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?

Make and model of any Displays that are used to see the issue (see note2 below).
                 LFP
              = Local Flat Panel (Laptop panel)
                 EFP = External Flat Panel (Monitor you plug in)

How much memory [RAM] in the system (see note2 below). 
              Provide any other hardware needed to replicate the issue.
                 ie: Cables&brand, cable type [vga, hdmi, DP, etc], dock, dongles/adapters, etc

Hardware Stepping (see note1 below). 
              Software (SW)Operating System version (see note2 below). 
              VBIOS (video BIOS) version. This can be found in “information page” of CUI (right click on Desktop and select “Graphics Properties”. 
              Graphics Driver version; for both integrated Intel and 3rd party vendors (see note2 below). 
              SW or Apps version used to replicate the issue. 
              ConfigurationsSingle display, clone, or extended (see note2 below). 
              Display resolution & refresh rate setting of each display (see note2 below). 
              AC or DC mode, i.e. is power cable plugged in or not? 
              How to reproPlease provide steps to replicate the issue.  These steps are very crucial to finding the root cause and fix.
                 A screenshot to illustrate the issue is a huge plus. A video of the failure is even better! Attach to the post or provide the YouTube link.

Also, please install the SSU tool (System Support Utility):

You will be able to download it on the following link:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility

Once you do that, the tool will allow you to save the information as a file, so, once you save it, please also attach it to this thread, in order for us to see it.

Additionally, please right click anywhere on the desktop and look for the option: Intel® HD Graphics control panel, once you open that, choose "options and support", then select "information center", and then choose where it says "file" at the bottom, you will get a text file, please attach it to this thread, so we can verify it.

Alberto

• 4. Re: Cannot play Tiberium Wars/Kane's Wrath with HD Graphics 5500
                NguyenLe

1. My Laptop is a Dell Inspiron 3558, 5200U/4GB/1TB/Win10.

2. The games are Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars and Command & Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath, which I bought legally from Steam.

3. I tried all drivers offered for HD Graphics 5500 from intel site. I also update the BIOS driver from Dell.

SSU file: Intel(R) HD Graphics 5500 Friday, September 2, 2016.txt - Google Drive

Information Page's file: Information Page.xml - Google Drive

CategoryQuestionsAnswers (N/A if not applicable)
                DescriptionProvide a detailed description of the issueThe game crashes after the introdution panel.
                Please place an X to the right of the option showing how often you see this issue using specific steps. (Ex: 'Every few times a game is started it flickers.' <- This would be "Often")Always (100%)
                Hardware (HW)Brand and Model of the system.Dell Inspiron 3558, HD Graphics 5500
                Hybrid or switchable graphics system?
                   ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?

Hydrbid.

No.

Make and model of any Displays that are used to see the issue (see note2 below).
                   LFP
                = Local Flat Panel (Laptop panel)
                   EFP = External Flat Panel (Monitor you plug in)
                LFP
                How much memory [RAM] in the system (see note2 below).4 GB RAM
                Provide any other hardware needed to replicate the issue.
                   ie: Cables&brand, cable type [vga, hdmi, DP, etc], dock, dongles/adapters, etc
                N/A
                Hardware Stepping (see note1 below).
                Software (SW)Operating System version (see note2 below).Windows 10 64bit
                VBIOS (video BIOS) version. This can be found in “information page” of CUI (right click on Desktop and select “Graphics Properties”.N/A
                Graphics Driver version; for both integrated Intel and 3rd party vendors (see note2 below).Any driver for HD Graphics 5500.
                SW or Apps version used to replicate the issue.N/A
                ConfigurationsSingle display, clone, or extended (see note2 below).N/A
                Display resolution & refresh rate setting of each display (see note2 below).1366x768, but game starts with 800x600
                AC or DC mode, i.e. is power cable plugged in or not?N/A
                How to reproPlease provide steps to replicate the issue.  These steps are very crucial to finding the root cause and fix.
                   A screenshot to illustrate the issue is a huge plus. A video of the failure is even better! Attach to the post or provide the YouTube link.
                1. Launch the game from Steam.
                2. The introduction panel appears.
                3. 2.png
                4. The screen switches to 800x600, then crashes.
                5. 1.png
                6. "Fatal error: Exception in exception handler" appears.

• 5. Re: Cannot play Tiberium Wars/Kane's Wrath with HD Graphics 5500
                  Intel Corporation

Hello NguyenLe:

Thank you very much for that information, it will be very useful for us to try to find a possible resolution for this issue.

We will try to replicate the problem and we will do an investigation on this case.

As soon as I get any updates, I will post all the details on this thread.

Alberto

• 6. Re: Cannot play Tiberium Wars/Kane's Wrath with HD Graphics 5500
                    Intel Corporation

Hello NguyenLe:

Thank you very much for that information, it will be very useful for us to try to find a possible resolution for this issue.

We will try to replicate the problem and we will do an investigation on this case.

As soon as I get any updates, I will post all the details on this thread.

Alberto

• 7. Re: Cannot play Tiberium Wars/Kane's Wrath with HD Graphics 5500
                      Intel Corporation

Hello NguyenLe:

I just wanted to let you know that I just received some updates from the investigation we are doing on this matter.

Could you please test the following driver?

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25150/Intel-Iris-Iris-Pro-and-HD-Graphics-Production-Driver-for-Windows-10-64-bit?product=86210

Please let me know if it works.

Alberto

• 8. Re: Cannot play Tiberium Wars/Kane's Wrath with HD Graphics 5500
                        NguyenLe

COUDLN'T INSTALL

When I ran the setup file, it said I have a newer driver, then, during the installation, my screen constantly flashed, then my Computer "ran into a problem and needs to restart".

When I tried to manually install it to via the Device Manage, it also crashed like above.

When I tried to install it to the Service Basic Display, it said

Error.png

• 9. Re: Cannot play Tiberium Wars/Kane's Wrath with HD Graphics 5500
                          Intel Corporation

Hello NguyenLe:

Thank you very much for providing those details and the picture.

Based on that information, we will continue with our research, as soon as I get more updates, I will post them on them on this thread.

Alberto

• 10. Re: Cannot play Tiberium Wars/Kane's Wrath with HD Graphics 5500
                            Intel Corporation

Hello NguyenLe:

I just wanted to let you know that we are still working in trying to find a solution for this issue.

There is a new driver, it is version 4501, please install that driver and let us know the results:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26228/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-and-Windows-7-8-1-15-40-?product=86210

Alberto

• 11. Re: Cannot play Tiberium Wars/Kane's Wrath with HD Graphics 5500
                              NguyenLe

I already installed it, but it still doesn't work.

Untitled.png

• 12. Re: Cannot play Tiberium Wars/Kane's Wrath with HD Graphics 5500
                                Intel Corporation

Hello Carolos:

Thank you very much for providing that information.

Based on that, we will continue with our investigation in order to try to find a possible resolution for this problem.

Alberto

• 13. Re: Cannot play Tiberium Wars/Kane's Wrath with HD Graphics 5500
                                  Intel Corporation

Hello NguyenLe:

I just got updates of our investigation and we are currently doing on this case, and I just wanted to let you know that this issue has been reproduced and it is currently under revision.

For all the future updates please refer to the following thread, all the new information regarding a possible solution will be posted there:

https://communities.intel.com/thread/104328

Alberto