Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20498 Discussions

Display driver stopped responding and has recovered - HD graphics - Asus Win 10 64-bit

DDave2
Beginner

Under heavy graphics use (video game) the screen occasionally freezes for a couple seconds then recovers. A dialog box then appears with the following message:

Display driver stopped responding and has recovered

Display driver intel HD graphics Drivers for Windows 8(r) stopped responding and has successfully recovered

The problem has not (so far) occurred in non-game use.

I have:

- Confirmed Win10 is up to date

- Confirmed the system is running the latest version of DirectX

- Installed the latest graphics driver available on Asus' website

- Run memory tests that reported no errors detected

- Added (and removed) registry TdrDelay parameter

Threads here discussing the same error message suggested downloading and installing more recent versions of Intel's graphics drivers than were available on system manufacturers' websites.

Is there a newer generic Intel driver package that might be a solution for this problem? I checked the specifications for version 15.40.25.4463 and did not find my CPU in the list.

Thanks!

Specs (system was upgraded to Win10 from Win8.):

Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 10586) (10586.th2_release.160802-1857)

System Manufacturer: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.

System Model: X555LA

BIOS: X555LA.308

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4210U CPU @ 1.70GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.4GHz

Memory: 6144MB RAM

DirectX Version: 12

Card name: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family

Chip type: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family

System Graphics: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4400

Display Memory: 3126 MB

Dedicated Memory: 112 MB

Shared Memory: 3013 MB

Driver Version: 10.18.15.4279
0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello, drichmond89:

In order to address this issue let's try updating your Intel® HD Graphics driver to the latest. See here for the file https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26229/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-15-40-4th-Gen-?product=81497 Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows® 10 [15.40][4th Gen], use this method for the installation http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005629.html How to Manually Install an Intel® Graphics Driver in Windows® 10 &... . This driver version is intended to fix the "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered" error message, so please give it a try and let me know how it goes.

For further reference visit

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
DDave2
Beginner

Amy - Thanks for your response!

I've downloaded and installed the suggested package and the display driver is now version 20.19..15.4501.

I'll provide an update regarding success/failure.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Keep me posted.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, /thread/105728 drichmond89:

I am following up your thread; how is your system working? Does the issue persist?

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
DDave2
Beginner

Amy -- It's been a week since I installed the new driver package and the problem has not recurred.

I think you can mark this thread as solved.

Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Those are great news, I am glad to hear!

If you need further assistance let us know.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos