3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 5, 2016 11:29 AM by Intel Corporation

Silent Mode on m3 Stick?

TSGames

Is there anyway to disable the fan of the m3 compute stick and using lower performance? The old BIOS showed an m3 mode (no fan), but I couldn't select it and since the latest version it's gone completely. I use the stick in my bedroom sometimes and the noise is really annoying and always noticeable. I would like to disable the fan, even if it would mean much less performance. Is this possible?

Regards

Torsten

• 1. Re: Silent Mode on m3 Stick?
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello, TSGames:

Unfortunately there is no option to manage or to disable the fan in the BIOS. Did you update the BIOS version? Do you remember the old BIOS version?

Regards,

Amy.

• 2. Re: Silent Mode on m3 Stick?
            TSGames

Hi,

unfortunately, no, I don't remember the exact number, it was from somewhere the beginning of 2016 build. The mode was not selectable (the list options only showed "M1" and "M2"), but in the Description a silent mode "M3" was noted.

Is there any way to do it via software? it's really annoying when you watch videos, and to make it even worse, when I hibernate the stick, the sound driver is broken after awaking (an other bug), so the only option is to shutdown it to get it silent which is more than cumbersome.

Regards

Torsten

• 3. Re: Silent Mode on m3 Stick?
              Intel Corporation
              This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Unfortunately, there is no option to disable or set the fan to low performance in fact the fan noise is expected, the fan noise is normal and the high frequency noise happens when the CPU utilization increases is generated due to the small blade size. One of our Intel® Compute Stick engineers confirmed that this fan noise is expected, see here Intel compute Stick Stk1aw32sc weird Fan Noise  post #6.

I apologize for any inconvenience. 

Regards,

Amy.