Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

New laptop crashes to black screen at random intervals

iinge
Beginner

I just got a new computer that runs windows 10. During random intervals the screen will go black, not like it is crashing completely but more of a black screen with the back light still on. The only thing that fixes this problem is doing a power cycle.

This is the specs for my computer:

Intel Core i5-6200U Processor (3 MB Cache, 2.3 GHz)

8 GB of RAM, DDR3 1600Mhz

Intel HD Graphics 520 (current driver 20.19.15.4474)

The name of the model is "HP 250 G5 SKYLAKE I5" and I have not done any sorts of modification so far.

What I have done so far: completely reinstall windows 10 from the beginning. Installed new drivers from intels homepage (I am however not sure I did it the correct way but I got a message confirming the installation and un-installation). Uninstalled the drivers. Restarting my computer several times. What is weird is that this is happening on random intervals. I do not use any sort of heavy programs or anything like that. During the whole re-installation on windows 10 this thing never happened, not even once. Some times it can take 40 minutes and other times it might take 10 minutes before it happens. I have also checked for windows 10 updates and I am on the latest version.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello, crash-help:

There are a few things you can try;

Microsoft Basic Display Driver installation;

1. Open the Device Manager using the steps provided for your operating system:
  2. Expand the Display Adapters section.
  3. Find the Intel Graphics Driver. The driver can also be called the Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator Driver (Intel® GMA Driver).
  4. Right click Intel Graphics Driver and select Uninstall.
  5. Select the check box Delete the driver software for this device.

Please, try these suggestions and let me know how it goes.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, /thread/105696 crash-help:

I am following up your thread.

Were you able to follow the suggestion mentioned above?

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos