3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 31, 2016 8:37 PM by Intel Corporation

High CPU usage with dual 4k monitors (NUC6i5RYK)

riater

I have a NUC6i5RYK with two 4k (3840 x 2160) and doing menial tasks like web browsing the CPU maxes at 100%.  I was curious if the two displays are stressing the integrated graphics to the point that the CPU needs to assist or if I have a different issue.

NUC specs

NUC6i5RYK with 8 GB of memory

Kingston SM2280S 240 GB

Monitors

(2) Samsung U28E850R

• 1. Re: High CPU usage with dual 4k monitors (NUC6i5RYK)
          N.Scott.Pearson

One thing you could try: In BIOS Setup (Visual BIOS' Advanced/Devices scene, Video tab), set both the IGD Minimum Memory and the IGD Aperture Size parameters to 512GB. If this improves things, you could also try setting them both to 1GB and see if this improves things even more.

Hope this helps,

...S

• 2. Re: High CPU usage with dual 4k monitors (NUC6i5RYK)
            Intel Corporation
            This message was posted by Intel Corporation on behalf of

To riater:

In regard to your inquiry, yes, the fact that you are using 2 4K’s monitors will consume more resources from the processor, the higher the resolution the more resources will be consumed, so a high processor usage is expected.

Just to make sure, is this the model of the NUC: NUC5i5RYK?

You gave us NUC6i5RYK and that model is not showing in our system.

http://ark.intel.com/

In order for us to be able to get more details about the system configuration you are using, could you please provide the graphics report?

Right click anywhere on the desktop and look for the option: Intel® HD Graphics control panel, once you open that, choose "options and support", then select "information center", and then choose where it says "file" at the bottom, you will get a text file, please attach it to this thread, so we can verify it.

Any questions, please let me know.

Alberto

• 3. Re: High CPU usage with dual 4k monitors (NUC6i5RYK)
              Intel Corporation
              This message was posted by Intel Corporation on behalf of

Hello riater:

I just wanted to check if the previous information was useful for you, and if the problem using dual monitor got fixed, or it was resolved?

Any questions, please let me know.

Alberto